Education

More News | |

Glenn Hills Principal Frazier to fight DUI charge

Few details available on principal's arrest

Glenn Hills High School Principal Dr. Wayne Frazier, a high-profile Richmond County administrator and husband of state Rep. Gloria Frazier, said Monday that he'll challenge a DUI charge against him.

Wayne Frazier left Tubman Middle School to be principal at Glenn Hills this year.   Special
Special

With the help of an attorney, Frazier said, when the case goes to court "I believe everything will be hopefully dropped."

Frazier was arrested on misdemeanor DUI and failure to maintain lane charges about 11:30 p.m. Thursday on Deans Bridge Road at Brentway Drive.

Few details were available Monday because only a ticket had been filed with the solicitor's office. Acting State Court Solicitor P.J. Campanaro said that her office's files involving the case would not be made public while the case is being prosecuted.

Richmond County sheriff's Maj. Richard Weaver said Frazier refused to take a Breathalyzer test -- which involves a motorist blowing into a hand-held device that measures blood-alcohol content.

In Georgia, refusing to the test results in arrest. Georgia Department of Driver Services spokeswoman Susan Sports said a driver who refuses the test also has his license suspended for 12 months.

Until he goes to court, Frazier said, he's unable to go into the specifics of the case. "I just hate this happened at this time because of so many positive things we have done in the school," he said. "I just feel that the community and my students will feel I've kind of let them down, and my family."

Frazier, who took over this year at Glenn Hills after leading Tubman Middle, said he also regrets that the arrest happened so close to Glenn Hills' graduation, which is Wednesday.

Some Richmond County school board members said Monday that they were surprised to hear about the arrest, noting that Frazier has become known for turning around struggling schools, being particularly skilled at discipline and making students feel that teachers and administrators care for them.

"I've been a very big supporter of Dr. Frazier," said board member Frank Dolan. "I think he's done an excellent job in each of the schools we've sent him to. ... I'm not sure what this will do for his career path. ... I do hate to hear it. I think it's very unfortunate."

Board member Jack Padgett, who agreed with Dolan, said Frazier had applied to be the school system's superintendent three years ago when Dr. Dana Bedden was selected, and he said his name had been floated as the district looks for a replacement when Bedden leaves June 18.

"His name has been tossed about quite a bit, more by the public than the board members," Padgett said, but "I certainly think this (the arrest) would be a setback."

Gary Walker, the director of the Georgia Professional Standards Commissions' Ethics Division, said a misdemeanor DUI doesn't rise to the level of what it investigates, meaning that if convicted Frazier wouldn't lose his state accreditation to teach.

Dolan said he wasn't sure what the school system's policy is concerning employees who are charged with DUI, noting that the board might have to consult with its attorney, Pete Fletcher. Fletcher said he couldn't discuss personnel matters.

Padgett said that the board likely wouldn't get involved and that it's probably an administrative decision. A message left for Bedden on Monday wasn't immediately returned.

happychimer
happychimer 05/24/10 - 03:48 pm
He does sound guilty because

He does sound guilty because of his refusal to take an alcohol test. What test did he refuse to take? I would gladly take an alcohol test anytime I drive.

myopinion3
myopinion3 05/24/10 - 03:52 pm
I hope he takes the

I hope he takes the punishment and comes back strong with his head up high. He has been a miracle worker but he is a human being. Use his example....when you fall you pick yourself up and go at it again. My money is on him coming back stronger than ever.

flipa
flipa 05/24/10 - 03:57 pm
Corgi thinks you can NEVER

Corgi thinks you can NEVER SOBER UP. WOW!. Newsflash. When your entire body dissipates the alcohol and you have excercised enough YOU ARE NO LONGER DRUNK because the alcohol is ALL GONE. Am i making myself scientifically CLEAR HERE? People DO SOBER UP. There are ways to hurry this, one of them is physical exercise and the other one that RIDS the alcohol in the stomach is my secret i pioneered for the GOVERNMENT when i was assigned to solve the problem. SHEESH!!!
Beam me up Scotty. There IS NO intelligent life down here. Ha ha ha

Jillian
Jillian 05/24/10 - 04:31 pm
Who wants a drunk to be the

Who wants a drunk to be the one in charge of leading our kids????

Surely you cannot believe our young people do not deserve better than that example?

rcmd18
rcmd18 05/24/10 - 04:46 pm
Could not have happened to a

Could not have happened to a more deserving person! When you treat people like crap look what happens. What goes around comes around! I bet it gets swept under the rug!

jamie8706
jamie8706 05/24/10 - 04:54 pm
First of all let me say Mr.

First of all let me say Mr. Frazier is really a good man, he taught me in middle school. But I am a little disappointed in what happen, but everybody makes mistakes, I hope this doesn't mess up his career in the school system and hope the charges are dropped in his favor.

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 05/24/10 - 05:03 pm
Well, this is a sad thing.

Well, this is a sad thing. The man is human, after all. However, something to think about...if one of Frazier's students did something against a school rule, then refused to cooperate with whatever the teacher or principal wanted them to do, then how would Frazier react or treat that student? Anyway, I've always felt that someone refusing to do a breathalyzer usually would indicate guilt, but that's just my uninformed opinion. The argument involving him having a diabetic issue doesn't necessarily hold water...even a damning breathalyzer test would be thrown out if it could be proven he was having a medical problem that influenced it. I guess we'll see what happens.

Riverman1
Riverman1 05/24/10 - 05:21 pm
I hope Dr. Bedden "pardons"

I hope Dr. Bedden "pardons" Dr. Frazier as he leaves office. He could do that in a similar way to what President Obama did with West Point Cadets when he forgave all their demerits. This would in no way eliminate the criminal punishment Dr. Frazier would still have to answer to. Dr. Bedden does have that ability and Dr. Frazier is a needed asset to Richmond County even if he did make a mistake.

jbartley
jbartley 05/24/10 - 05:54 pm
I belive in America someone

I belive in America someone is innocent until proven guilty in a court of law.

corgimom
corgimom 05/24/10 - 05:58 pm
Flipa wrote- "Newsflash. When

Flipa wrote- "Newsflash. When your entire body dissipates the alcohol and you have excercised enough YOU ARE NO LONGER DRUNK because the alcohol is ALL GONE. Am i making myself scientifically CLEAR HERE?...There are ways to hurry this, one of them is physical exercise and the other one that RIDS the alcohol in the stomach is my secret i pioneered for the GOVERNMENT when i was assigned to solve the problem."

This post was hysterical, especially the part about "the secret he pioneered for the government"

You can't beat this place for entertainment.

redapples
redapples 05/24/10 - 06:23 pm
Geez...I inserted asterisks

Geez...I inserted asterisks instead of spelling it out. I wonder if BUTT is allowed or if it will be "filtered" too! lol

jack2006
jack2006 05/24/10 - 06:35 pm
An educated black man in

An educated black man in Augusta GA is an endangered species. Dr. Frazier, it's time to get your shield out. They are aiming for you. I'll take Dr. Frazier over dumb person any time of the day.

bettyboop
bettyboop 05/24/10 - 06:39 pm
This is very sad........I

This is very sad........I hope he can somehow turn this into a "life lesson" and proceed with his career. Others have done so..........................

justwanttocomment
justwanttocomment 05/24/10 - 06:50 pm
I think that it is sad that

I think that it is sad that nothing has been done to Fraizer on the professional end though he is human had the tables been flipped and it was one of his students or staff he himself would be poking fun and making a spectacle of that person..I exspect the board to give him the same punishment they would a teacher,para or any other employee of rcboe

mpowel21
mpowel21 05/24/10 - 07:34 pm
wow, great example for our

wow, great example for our kids.

willie7
willie7 05/24/10 - 07:45 pm
Very sad but this may

Very sad but this may encourage him to get some aid.
A great principal who put his heart and soul in the job and loves the students. He does have a drinking problem and needs to seek immediate help.

noxiousfumes
noxiousfumes 05/24/10 - 08:00 pm
DUI is not cause for a

DUI is not cause for a revocation of his teaching credentials. The only way that could happen is if he were at a school related function (such as an athletic event), had students at his home, or had students in his car. I would imagine that he will get suspended, or maybe transferred to an administrative position outside of the school setting. I know it will be very difficult for him to retain the respect of the students because of how demanding he has been about following school rules. Refusal to submit to a test is usually an admission of guilt. I know of a similar situation where the teacher was actually drunk in his class and refused to submit to any testing. He was a veteran SPED teacher who was allowed to retire rather than be fired (but that was during Dr. Larke's tenure, when back door deals were made often). It is just a sad situation and I wish him the best.

trouble706isBack
trouble706isBack 05/24/10 - 08:20 pm
Since so many seem to think

Since so many seem to think that DUI is not a reason for revoking his teaching credentials, I can't help but wonder if you have ever heard of the morals clause that is a part of every educator's contract?
In essence what the clause says is that if an educator is found to be engaging in a behavior that sets a poor example to students the educator will be terminated immediately.
If he was DUI, and why else would he have refused the test, then he definitely would have been setting a poor example for students. Unless things have changed since I went to school, there is no class called "DUI 101".

Indigo
Indigo 05/24/10 - 09:06 pm
Mr Frazier, There is a way to

Mr Frazier,
There is a way to tell if the charges or suspicions are without merit.....blow in the tube please. Of all people to refuse to submit to authority, I hope they remove your credentials.

Yep, I said it. Nobody cares about drinking and driving, just don't get caught.

johnston.cliff
johnston.cliff 05/24/10 - 09:15 pm
". Of all people to refuse to

". Of all people to refuse to submit to authority" 'Nuf said.

While there may be extenuating circumstances, there was no reason to refuse the test. I hope he's not pulling a "Henry Gates".

Asitisinaug
Asitisinaug 05/24/10 - 09:35 pm
Reading the article before

Reading the article before commenting would be helpful to many. He refused to take the tests. Under Georgia’s Implied Consent Law, any driver’s license holder in the state is consenting to submit to a chemical test when police stop a person for drinking and driving. Driving is considered a privilege not a right and therefore the state has no problem taking away a person’s driver’s license if he or she refuses to take a blood, breath or urine test when properly asked by police. If a driver has not been drinking and driving and police ask you to take a breath test and you say no, you will automatically be arrested for DUI. As for a double standard such as we discussed with Ben Harbin, now days, that is pure BS. The double standard actually works against high profile persons such as this principal because the average person wouldn't have a new article written. Most anyone who refuses and/or is not very intoxicagted while driving for a first offense who hire an attorney have a very good chance of getting the case reduced to a wreckless driving charge to avoid a trial. High profile cases sometimes are not offered the same otions due to the negativity the DA's office recieves so saying that people like cops, politicians, etc. get off easy is very far from the truth once arrested. As for Dr. Frazier, he made a very bad decision if he drove after drinking because there is absolutely no excuse for drinking and driving. Plan your night, get a friend, call a taxi or do whaever it takes but if you drink, don't drive. All of that being said, you can still be a good principal and have a DUI arrest if you admit right from the start you made a serious mistake, turn it into a learning experience for youself and others and take your punishment just as you would expect of your students when caught doing something wrong. If people would simply accept personal responsibility and acountibility for their actions, the general public would be far more forgiving since we all make bad decisions with unintneded consequenses at times.

methree
methree 05/24/10 - 09:36 pm
if you read the last sentence

if you read the last sentence he "refused" to take the test

noxiousfumes
noxiousfumes 05/24/10 - 09:43 pm
Trouble, here is the link to

Trouble, here is the link to the GA Professional Standards site. DUI is not cause for him to lose his teaching credentials.

trouble706isBack
trouble706isBack 05/24/10 - 10:32 pm
noxiousfumes I don't need to

noxiousfumes I don't need to read the link.... I have been married to a school teacher for 25 years. I ASSURE you that DUI IS cause for him to lose his credentials. However, I do have a copy of the clause sitting here on my desk.
Also, here is a link you may find interesting. In Barrow County, GA a school teacher was fired recently because she had pictures on her Facebook page that showed her drinking while she was on a vacation...

noxiousfumes
noxiousfumes 05/24/10 - 10:49 pm
Trouble, I am a veteran

Trouble, I am a veteran school teacher. I am very familiar with the ethics clause you are talking about. I am saying that according to the Professional Standards Commission Ethics rules that a DUI in and of itself is not grounds for dismissal. We have to watch the ethics video every year which outlines the specifics of the ethics code in GA. The teacher in that case probably has other issues going on and they just used that as an excuse. If she did not have a hearing, then they violated the GA laws. Dr. Frazier should be disciplined if he is found guilty, but he isn't the first principal to have a DUI arrest. Yes, he made a bad decision, but he was on his personal time and was not dealing with school related activities.

hickstreetlane
hickstreetlane 05/24/10 - 10:59 pm
Wonder what Gloria is

Wonder what Gloria is thinking? Is she beating him with a skillet? Has to embarrass her as a State Rep. Not sure how it is done now, but in the old days, an implied consent hearing was held if a person refused a test. If the officer did not show up for the IC hearing, the matter (license possibly revoked) was dropped. If a Chief or Sheriff was friends with the person charged, the officer making the arrest, could be told not to show up. The DUI charge would still go through. But even though he may lose his license, he could get a restricted license to drive for work purposes. Frazier did an idiotic thing, but his handling of the matter, will tell alot of his character. I can think of another man who made the same mistake, and he is a fine up standing man today, Judge Carl Brown. That man I respect and think highly of. What will Frazier do, be another idiot, or be a man who admits what he did and strives to correct the mistake and be the role model he needs to be?

Riverman1
Riverman1 05/24/10 - 11:10 pm
Trouble706, the Barrow County

Trouble706, the Barrow County incident is a poor one to post as an example. That teacher did nothing illegal. She was on vacation in Europe with a few other teachers and a picture of her holding a glass of lager was taken. She doesn't appear drunk, giddy or inappropriate. That lady is going to end up with some money. If you want to see the pictures and hear her side, go to this YouTube link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DDPeHxVaos

flipa
flipa 05/25/10 - 12:07 am
Just because Corgismom thinks

Just because Corgismom thinks no one else has ever done anything does not make it so. Wayne Frazier probably did have a drink and get caught. Corgismom has said that you “can’t sober up”. I humbly disagree. One can sober up; there are ways to do it. I doubt Corgismom would believe that folks can sober up cause she has already made up her mind they can’t. That does not change the fact that folks can sober up before they drive and there are several ways to hurry this along. It may not be the fast food “Corgismom” way, but with patience, knowledge & a sober friend like me one can sober up before driving. Her Freudian slip is that maybe HER FOLK can’t sober up after a half gallon of moonshine. We’re not talking Moonshine here. Ha ha ha I hope no one drinks and drives. I spent years studying how to deter that for the National Guard, which is part of the government last I looked, unless Corgismom disagrees with that too then they must not be part of the government because she says so…(roll eyes) I am only suggesting that if folks do drink they can WAIT and exercise and do things that will eliminate the alcohol in the stomach & hurry the bodies processes to finally result in a sober person IF they are patient, which is rare.

ZenoElia
ZenoElia 05/25/10 - 04:09 am
It would not be news if his

It would not be news if his name had not come up so many times as being recommended for the vacant super post...if he refused to blow, he has some guilt of some kind...now who wants a deceptive person to lead our children? Not me...next?

justwanttocomment
justwanttocomment 05/25/10 - 05:21 am
If I am reading the update

If I am reading the update correctly the board nor the GPSC are going to do anything professionally to Fraizer what a sad day that the double standards have come so acceptable in Richmond County..like I posted before had it been a teacher or other school personel the outcome would be different..I am truley dissapointed by this