Education

More News | |

Glenn Hills Principal Frazier to fight DUI charge

Few details available on principal's arrest

Glenn Hills High School Principal Dr. Wayne Frazier, a high-profile Richmond County administrator and husband of state Rep. Gloria Frazier, said Monday that he'll challenge a DUI charge against him.

Wayne Frazier left Tubman Middle School to be principal at Glenn Hills this year.   Special
Special

With the help of an attorney, Frazier said, when the case goes to court "I believe everything will be hopefully dropped."

Frazier was arrested on misdemeanor DUI and failure to maintain lane charges about 11:30 p.m. Thursday on Deans Bridge Road at Brentway Drive.

Few details were available Monday because only a ticket had been filed with the solicitor's office. Acting State Court Solicitor P.J. Campanaro said that her office's files involving the case would not be made public while the case is being prosecuted.

Richmond County sheriff's Maj. Richard Weaver said Frazier refused to take a Breathalyzer test -- which involves a motorist blowing into a hand-held device that measures blood-alcohol content.

In Georgia, refusing to the test results in arrest. Georgia Department of Driver Services spokeswoman Susan Sports said a driver who refuses the test also has his license suspended for 12 months.

Until he goes to court, Frazier said, he's unable to go into the specifics of the case. "I just hate this happened at this time because of so many positive things we have done in the school," he said. "I just feel that the community and my students will feel I've kind of let them down, and my family."

Frazier, who took over this year at Glenn Hills after leading Tubman Middle, said he also regrets that the arrest happened so close to Glenn Hills' graduation, which is Wednesday.

Some Richmond County school board members said Monday that they were surprised to hear about the arrest, noting that Frazier has become known for turning around struggling schools, being particularly skilled at discipline and making students feel that teachers and administrators care for them.

"I've been a very big supporter of Dr. Frazier," said board member Frank Dolan. "I think he's done an excellent job in each of the schools we've sent him to. ... I'm not sure what this will do for his career path. ... I do hate to hear it. I think it's very unfortunate."

Board member Jack Padgett, who agreed with Dolan, said Frazier had applied to be the school system's superintendent three years ago when Dr. Dana Bedden was selected, and he said his name had been floated as the district looks for a replacement when Bedden leaves June 18.

"His name has been tossed about quite a bit, more by the public than the board members," Padgett said, but "I certainly think this (the arrest) would be a setback."

Gary Walker, the director of the Georgia Professional Standards Commissions' Ethics Division, said a misdemeanor DUI doesn't rise to the level of what it investigates, meaning that if convicted Frazier wouldn't lose his state accreditation to teach.

Dolan said he wasn't sure what the school system's policy is concerning employees who are charged with DUI, noting that the board might have to consult with its attorney, Pete Fletcher. Fletcher said he couldn't discuss personnel matters.

Padgett said that the board likely wouldn't get involved and that it's probably an administrative decision. A message left for Bedden on Monday wasn't immediately returned.

showboat
showboat 05/24/10 - 09:17 am
Really!!!!!

Really!!!!!

oneofthefrontrowgang
oneofthefrontrowgang 05/24/10 - 09:27 am
Did he take and pass all the

Did he take and pass all the tests? If he failed, then the charges must be true.

double_standard
double_standard 05/24/10 - 09:33 am
I wonder if he's elgible for

I wonder if he's elgible for the Ben Harbin treatment.

double_standard
double_standard 05/24/10 - 09:35 am
I wonder if he's elgible for

I wonder if he's elgible for the Ben Harbin treatment.

happychimer
19565
happychimer 05/24/10 - 09:49 am
If the charges lacked merit,

If the charges lacked merit, then he passed the test. I would like to know if he is diabetic.If a person's glucose level drops low, it can cause slurred speech, sweating, unbalance, confusion.I hope he was not drinking and driving.

disssman
disssman 05/24/10 - 09:49 am
What would happen to a common

What would happen to a common teacher if they were caught in a DUI?

Riverman1
Riverman1 05/24/10 - 09:56 am
What's the school system

What's the school system policy in situations like these? What has Superintendent Bedden said? This man is a high profile principal after all. He is a valuable asset to the system. We need to find out what the school system intends to do if anything.

Chillen
Chillen 05/24/10 - 10:16 am
What a fantastic role model.

What a fantastic role model.

flipa
flipa 05/24/10 - 10:17 am
Darn. A good man for sure.

Darn. A good man for sure. Hope the charges turn out to be without merit. Let us remember that folks are still innocent untill proven guilty. I routinely save my big dog friends from DUI's by handing them something to wash away and dissapate the alcohol while we walk it off for a while for them to sober up and get their wits about them. Wish i could have be been there to do that for him. He really is trying harder than most to do something for our community and that is so rare it should be taken into consideration.

Martinez
Martinez 05/24/10 - 10:35 am
Is this the same principal

Is this the same principal that many folks on here have recommended for the superintendent job?

montega12
montega12 05/24/10 - 10:40 am
why should anything be taken

why should anything be taken into consideration if he wasnt drunk he would not have been arrested if this was a regular joe you people would be shouting to have his head like in the jail report or screaming how you had a friend or relative killed by a drunk driver you people have a double standard when it comes to everything

montega12
montega12 05/24/10 - 10:41 am
why should anything be taken

OnlyinAgs
OnlyinAgs 05/24/10 - 11:19 am
Well if he was drunk then he

Well if he was drunk then he should have been arrested no one is exempt from that. Dr. Frazier you messed up and ooopz you know it. Let's hope they send Ms. Beasley from Laney now to Glenn Hills.

ThinkinAloud
ThinkinAloud 05/24/10 - 11:19 am
It would appear that the

It would appear that the golden boy of Richmond County has feet of clay after all. Having the appearance of inebriation and being positive for a blood -alcohol test are two different things. You did let down your community, students and family. Are you really sure that drinking under the influence would have been better if you had taken out of your neighborhood? Really Fraizer, we love our families in our neighborhoods too! Is there such a thing as a better place for you to drive drunk??? Shame on you for even suggesting such a thing?? Do I hear the Georgia Professional Standards ethics division calling???

happychimer
19565
happychimer 05/24/10 - 11:21 am
If he was driving drunk, he

If he was driving drunk, he should be punished. The article did not say what tests he took. I am saying if he is diabetic and was talking in a slurred voice, and having trouble standing, he could have been mistaken for being drunk.

lsmith
lsmith 05/24/10 - 11:31 am
I have yet to see anyone

I have yet to see anyone arrested on DUI charges that didn't proclaim they expected to be exonerated in court. No disrespect intended but Frazier gave the standard answer for public officials arrested under these circumstances. If he blew drunk he went to jail. If he failed roadside sobriety tests he went to jail. Or, he refused to blow or do either and of course you still go to jail for that. What's really probably in the works here is a hope to get his lawyer to plea bargain this down to Reckless driving or something, which happens all the time.
I appreciate the good job Mr. Frazier has done at out of control, under performing schools, and would hate to see this incident derail that effort but he honestly needs to realize that he's become a role model whether he likes it or not. If you're going to do the talk, "do the walk"

happychimer
19565
happychimer 05/24/10 - 11:56 am
He refused an alcohol

He refused an alcohol test.That makes him sound guilty. I wonder if a blood test was done after he was arrested. Some states do that.

charliemanson
charliemanson 05/24/10 - 12:16 pm
Start AA, buddy.

Start AA, buddy.

OnlyinAgs
OnlyinAgs 05/24/10 - 12:21 pm
Better yet this can be *GAGS*

Better yet this can be *GAGS* per Sarah Palin *GAGS AGAIN* his GOTCHA moment LOL.

corgimom
corgimom 05/24/10 - 12:23 pm
" I routinely save my big dog

" I routinely save my big dog friends from DUI's by handing them something to wash away and dissapate the alcohol while we walk it off for a while for them to sober up and get their wits about them. "

I am laughing here.

When you're drunk, you're drunk. The only thing that gets rid of it is time.
Walking around a drunk to sober them up doesn't do it, neither does "giving them something to dissapate the alcohol" - alcohol is metabolized throug the liver.

corgimom
corgimom 05/24/10 - 12:27 pm
If I were a diabetic, and

If I were a diabetic, and wasn't drunk, and was asked to take an alcohol test, I'd say, "Bring it on, I'm not drunk, I'm diabetic". Why would he refuse an alcohol test if he hadn't been drinking?

Dan White 05/24/10 - 12:58 pm
dissman - a common teacher is

dissman - a common teacher is required to report a DUI arrest to the principal and then the offense goes through a process that could result in a loss of job or certification. It is really up to the building principal and the county adminstrators as to what happens with a "common" teacher. For sure, a dui can lead to big problems for a teacher.

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 05/24/10 - 01:21 pm
Sorry to hear this. Had high

Sorry to hear this. Had high hopes for his success at Glenn Hills High School. They really need a good example there. If the DUI is a valid arrest, then we need to look for someone else.

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 05/24/10 - 01:21 pm
Well, someone said that if he

Well, someone said that if he was arrested he was guilty. Nope.

Then someone said he took and failed a test so he was guilty. Nope.

Just give the man a chance to have his day in court.

Brad

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 05/24/10 - 01:21 pm
Sorry to hear this. Had high

CarlA
CarlA 05/24/10 - 01:50 pm
Brad says "I have refused to

Brad says "I have refused to take a test before when it had no merit, then again, I have submitted to DUI tests when it had no merit."

Damn! How many times have you been stopped for DUI?

justthefacts
justthefacts 05/24/10 - 01:57 pm
Carl, I was thinking the same

Carl, I was thinking the same thing.

trouble706isBack
trouble706isBack 05/24/10 - 02:02 pm
In Georgia, the law states

In Georgia, the law states that if you refuse to take the breathalyzer test as this article states he done, then your license will automatically be suspended. So, innocent of DUI or not, there should be repercussions from his refusal.

Jillian
Jillian 05/24/10 - 02:41 pm
If he was driving drunk what

If he was driving drunk what should be taken into consideration is how many lives could have been lost, including his, due to his stupidity.

There is NO EXCUSE for anyone to drive drunk. Period. Refusal to take the test automatically indicates guilt.

If I am being accused of something and it isn't true the first thing I would ask for is a test that could easily prove my innocence.

Jillian