Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Sheriff's deputy becomes victim of theft

Someone stole sunglasses from the wrong person.

A Richmond County sheriff's deputy reported Thursday that he lost his $100 pair of Oakley sunglasses while arresting a suspect.

The deputy told a colleague that he went into a house on the 1500 block of Hicks Street on May 4 to arrest a wanted person. He left his sunglasses on a sofa on the front porch before walking into the dark house, and then left them there after making the arrest.

When the deputy came back from the jail several hours later, the sunglasses were gone. The homeowner hadn't seen them, and the deputy couldn't find them around the house. The deputy said he would prosecute for theft if a suspect was found.

Skeet099
Skeet099 05/21/10 - 09:36 pm
That's not theft. It's

That's not theft. It's finders keepers. If I leave my Ray Bans somewhere for a couple of hours, I don't expect them to be there when I come back. It's just common sense. To the Deputy - Hey Stupid, you don't leave expensive shades laying around. If you do, someone's going to pick them up. If you're going to work in an environment where you may have to take them off and lay them somewhere, then you wear the cheap stuff. If I lived in Richmond County, I'd buy you a new pair of shades, cause your probably gonna cost the tax payers more than your precious Oakleys were worth going after the criminal mastermind that picked up the glasses you left sitting on a front porch unattended.

pommom38
pommom38 05/21/10 - 09:44 pm
LMAO!! Here, Here Skeet!!

LMAO!! Here, Here Skeet!!

Patty-P
Patty-P 05/21/10 - 10:06 pm
lol! That's not a crime.

lol! That's not a crime. What's wrong with the sheriff's deputy's in Augusta? You LOST your glasses. Get real.

cajunnana2000
cajunnana2000 05/21/10 - 11:35 pm
I'm afraid to comment. I read

I'm afraid to comment. I read comments here that seems to be deep to me and they get printed but somehow mine get pulled. So all I will do from now on is agree with the person that print what I want to express like I agree with Skeet, Patty and pommom.

cajunnana2000
cajunnana2000 05/21/10 - 11:37 pm
Ok I will try this comment, I

Ok I will try this comment, I do not see how he became a victim of thief, I do belive he mis layed his glasses.

mable8
mable8 05/22/10 - 12:39 am
Gee, from the sounds of the

Gee, from the sounds of the banner, I thought his home was burglarized--only to find that he forgot a pair of sunglasses at a house where the person was arrested. That's not being a "victim of theft," but it sure is being a "victim of stupidity." Now that we all know the officers can afford these fancidan sunglasses ($100!!), then we now know you are not hurting for an income. When I worked in the field, I went into some really seedy places and you can bet your sweet bippie I did not wear my very best attire either! Get over it officer--what are you going to charge the person with--keeping a pair of sunglasses after finding them? If the DA is going to allow such a case go into a courtroom, she is as dumb as you are---so shall we collectively refer to the ARCSO and DA office as being "dumb and dumber?"

dgoo1269
dgoo1269 05/22/10 - 02:56 am
As crazy as it sounds; there

As crazy as it sounds; there is a law on the books...theft of lost or mislaid property (16-8-6) which this falls under; "A person commits the offense of theft of lost or mislaid property when he comes into control of property that he knows or learns to have been lost or mislaid and appropriates the property to his own use without first taking reasonable measures to restore the property to the owner."

justus4
justus4 05/22/10 - 03:14 am
Unbelieveable! As someone who

Unbelieveable! As someone who must be accountable for their equipment, this guy failed to maintain his personal materials. Whether gov't issue or personal, it must the responsibility of the individual to properly secure their equipment. This is boot camp 101 and some kinda remedial training for this deputy is in order to help prevent such poor attention to detail future acts. Nope, this is not about lost glasses, but about a sense of superiority & entitlement where careless acts are not properly addressed which may lead to bigger mistakes in the future.

sdrwtcn
sdrwtcn 05/22/10 - 04:10 am
Small town news reporting!

Small town news reporting!

spurge
spurge 05/22/10 - 05:43 am
If some child picked up these

If some child picked up these glasses what would he or she be charged with.

Spurge

Ushouldnthave
Ushouldnthave 05/22/10 - 06:47 am
Does your finders keepers

Does your finders keepers rule apply to cars, too? The "your stuff is my stuff when you ain't lookin" rule seems to be a popular Augusta theme.

augustahistorybuff
augustahistorybuff 05/22/10 - 07:58 am
Thanks dogoo for listing that

Thanks dogoo for listing that statute. It is no different than if you leave your cell phone somewhere, it's taken, and someone uses to for their own purposes. One would want it listed as stolen. The same can be said for the glasses.

I do think this was poor judgment in media reporting. There has to be more news worthy content out there.

It’s now time to address Skeet! You should watch your tone. Hey-stupid-one day you might need this deputy to pull your behind out of a situation or be of service to you if you were the victim of a crime. The deputy wouldn't seem so "stupid then". You should honor those who put their life on the line day to day. Do you do that Skeet? This person that was arrested, when the glasses were put down, might be someone who, through the role of the dice, could have somehow influenced your future through their criminal activity.

And Justus, I want even start on your end because it would be a waste of time. If you don't work in the law enforcement field and don't have the guts to go there, then don't judge. You don't know what situation the deputy was in at the time the glasses were put down.

Patty-P
Patty-P 05/22/10 - 08:28 am
dgoo1269: I found a $50 bill

dgoo1269: I found a $50 bill in the parking lot at the mall about 2 months ago. Am I now to be arrested? Should I have made an attempt to find the proper owner? Maybe put an add in the paper or something before I spent it?

noxiousfumes
noxiousfumes 05/22/10 - 08:45 am
Why is this a news story?

Why is this a news story?

beboisme
beboisme 05/22/10 - 08:50 am
Dear Deputy, What would have

Dear Deputy, What would have done if say you layed your glasses down at the boat races and turned around and they were gone? Can't search and try to sieze your property on all attending the races,now can you? In growing up my parents instilled a very simple rule and it was called, "responsibility". Learn to be responsible in every aspect of your life. It costs nothing to learn this common act, but will, at some point save you a hundred dollars on Oakleys. Responsibility earns one good commom sense. I find that you may be lacking in this area and may at a point in your life be the result of job loss, screwed up relationships, and finacial ruin. Be wise young man, if you can't be responsible enough to hang onto a pair of 100.00 dollar glasses then how can you possilbly be responsible enough to write an incident report on a factual bases, retain evidence through chain of custody, and carry a weapon. What happens when you use a public bathroom and hang your utility belt on the hanger, walk out and forget your service belt and come back when you realize you forgot the waepon and it's gone? No job. Why? Irresposibility that's why. Buck -up youngin, because today it's only a pair of Oakleys.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 05/22/10 - 08:58 am
Since the deputy had

Since the deputy had previously scribed his SSN into the right temple of the glasses, they will be easy to identify when they turn up at a pawn shop.

bettyboop
bettyboop 05/22/10 - 09:01 am
What would really have made

What would really have made the news was if Someone had "found" the "lost" glasses and returned them to the Officer....now that would have been something strange and unusual to report about!

fd1962
fd1962 05/22/10 - 09:06 am
What does it say that the

What does it say that the Chronicle withholds the name and picture of this sorely victimized martyr of a deputy, but chooses to exploit the so-called confidential medical and psychological deficiencies of accused juvenile offenders in a related article today? Dollar journalism at its finest?

Jillian
Jillian 05/22/10 - 09:26 am
I wonder if this was his

I wonder if this was his first day on duty? Sounds like he sure has a lot to learn.

bettyboop
bettyboop 05/22/10 - 09:34 am
fd1962 those "juvenile

fd1962 those "juvenile defendants" are closer to being animals than human beings..what they did needs to be reported loud and clear...their mental status is what it is..a bunch of psycobabble.

billyjones1949
billyjones1949 05/22/10 - 09:40 am
Thanks for arresting the

Thanks for arresting the person on Hicks St in the middle of Harrisburg. One less to worry about.

Rolling Eyes
Rolling Eyes 05/22/10 - 09:43 am
It sounds to me like he gave

It sounds to me like he gave them away....

fd1962
fd1962 05/22/10 - 09:56 am
Bettyboop, your statement has

Bettyboop, your statement has no relevance to the question I posed, so please don't attribute conclusions to me, whether accurate or not.

dgoo1269
dgoo1269 05/22/10 - 03:07 pm
Patty P...don't make the

Patty P...don't make the laws...they are what they are...if you find money and stick it in your pocket to keep, then sleep well at night...that's on you...an honest person would probably ask around. But you are what you are...

fatboyhog
fatboyhog 05/22/10 - 03:41 pm
I'm amazed to see that so

I'm amazed to see that so many people think that it's "finders keepers". No wonder we live in a screwed up country.

worldhistory
worldhistory 05/22/10 - 04:59 pm
I don't get no respect. I

I don't get no respect. I lost my sunglasses and the newspaper didn't write a breaking news story about me. I feel for you Rodney Dangerfield,
may you rest in peace.

Patty-P
Patty-P 05/22/10 - 09:27 pm
dgoo1269 : don't be

dgoo1269 : don't be ridiculous. I could have walked back into the mall and asked the over 200 customers that I passed if it was theirs. How many people would have claimed it? It would be different if I had found a bag of money or a wallet. Something that could be easily tracked to it's owner. You can't put a name on a single bill laying in a half empty parking lot.

Just Another Day
Just Another Day 05/24/10 - 06:49 am
PATTY-P="You can't put a name

PATTY-P="You can't put a name on a single bill laying in a half empty parking lot." You are right about that. But you could have turned it in to the proper authorities, in turn they would have given you a receipt to claim the item later. Once again, you are what you are........

gacue24
gacue24 05/27/10 - 06:58 am
The deputy has lost his mind

The deputy has lost his mind to think he can press charges on someone that picked up a pair of sun glasses. I guess if someone called the police and wanted to make a report about missing their sunglasses they would be right there to do so???? RIGHTTTTTTTTTTT. You would get a big horse laugh and told to just deal with the loss. Hey idiot next time leave them in your cruiser.