Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Burn victim's father surrenders

Man has lengthy police record

The man who witnesses said set his own daughter on fire Sunday during a family argument surrendered to authorities Tuesday.

Jammie West is charged with aggravated assault in the burning of his daughter.   Special
Special
Jammie West is charged with aggravated assault in the burning of his daughter.

Jammie Maurice West, 38, is in the Richmond County jail, charged with aggravated assault.

His daughter Bianca West, 20, remained hospitalized Tuesday in critical condition at the Joseph M. Still Burn Center with second- and third-degree burns to her face, arms and chest, according to a spokeswoman.

"It's absolutely a heinous crime," said Lt. Calvin Chew of the Richmond County Sheriff's Office. "To do this to somebody, especially your daughter, is ridiculous. This is the type of person you definitely don't want on the streets."

Witnesses said Jammie West was arguing with the victim's mother in the yard of her Blum Street home when his daughter arrived with her boyfriend, Michael Moss, and stepped in to help her mother.

West poured a flammable liquid from a beer bottle onto his daughter and ignited it with a lighter, according to a police report. Her mother smothered the fire with a robe.

"They (the victim and her father) had an all right relationship," Moss said, "but I never thought he would do that. She loved him."

Doctors say it's possible for West to get her skin color back, according to Moss, but they are still keeping an eye on her to determine if she'll need skin grafts. She has started to move around a little but has not been able to open her eyes.

"The one thing I'm waiting on is for her to open her eyes and start speaking," Moss said.

West was paroled in August after serving 16 years of a 55-year sentence for voluntary manslaughter and possession of cocaine and was living with his daughter and her mother.

In February 1993, Jammie West was charged with one count of malice murder, felony murder and possession of a firearm during the commission of a crime.

An indictment charged West with the November 1990 shooting of Anthony Jackson. Jackson was shot once in the chest after complaining about the size of his crack cocaine purchase, according to police records.

Another indictment charged West with the December 1992 shooting of Benjamin D. Williams. Williams was parked on Holloway Drive when he was shot in the head through the rear window, according to police records.

West was also indicted twice in 1992 on charges of possession of cocaine with intent to distribute, according to court records.

Bumm
Bumm 05/11/10 - 11:20 am
I say eye for an eye. BBQ him

I say eye for an eye. BBQ him and see how he likes it.

ripjones
ripjones 05/11/10 - 12:13 pm
CharBroil -- There's an app

CharBroil -- There's an app for that...

Richmnd Cty Votr
Richmnd Cty Votr 05/11/10 - 12:29 pm
His daughter was 20? I can

His daughter was 20? I can only imagine the way the ANIMAL treated her when she was younger. Throw away the KEY!

Rolling Eyes
Rolling Eyes 05/11/10 - 01:41 pm
I have a 20 year old daughter

I have a 20 year old daughter and this story just turns my stomach and breaks my heart! I wish all the best on the daughter's survival and recovery.

ZenoElia
ZenoElia 05/11/10 - 01:44 pm
From the more recent photo

From the more recent photo here, looks like the deputies got a few good licks in on him....good work RC...hit him a few times more for me and all the rest of Augusta who hates this kind of crap...last report I saw was his daughter was in critical condition...if she should die (God forbid) I hope they don't waste taxpayer money on a trial...just let him slip up and then beat him to death slowly...miserable piece of a lowlife dung...

AugustaVoter
AugustaVoter 05/11/10 - 01:47 pm
Agree, Zeno. Too bad he

Agree, Zeno. Too bad he didn't make "an attempt to take an officers gun" when they arrested him. POS!

RAINBOW
RAINBOW 05/11/10 - 02:09 pm
maybe someone will shank him

maybe someone will shank him while in prison

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 05/11/10 - 02:15 pm
My only regret is they jailed

My only regret is they jailed him before I found him.

ripjones
ripjones 05/11/10 - 06:35 pm
Zeno - I don't think the

Zeno - I don't think the deputies "customized" his face, since he turned himself in, he probably found out that it would be safer to be in a cell than to be out where "family" could explain things to him.

sassygirl12
sassygirl12 05/11/10 - 06:48 pm
i hope and i pray that this

i hope and i pray that this fool gets beat down in jail. how on earth could you do that to anyone much less your own daughter. this animal must have been on some hard corr drugs. or he is the devil one. his time will roll around and when it does i hope he gets his ten times worse

johnston.cliff
johnston.cliff 05/11/10 - 08:04 pm
This is another example of

This is another example of the why the "renovate and part out" system should be instituted.

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 05/12/10 - 05:24 am
If he hadn't set fire to his

If he hadn't set fire to his daughter, he was going to set fire to someone else or something else...he had a "flammable liquid" in his beer bottle, and that shows intent. The courts need to protect us against this man and put him away for LIFE...absolutely no chance for parole. He is a monster and has no regard for anyone's life. We don't need him with us.

ZenoElia
ZenoElia 05/12/10 - 06:16 am
I see after my comment about

I see after my comment about his face the AC put his "pretty" pic back up..mug shot please AC...why can't we see the way he looked yesterday when the 'blackeye' photo was there...scared it would be in bad taste?...now that's just absurd....I hate media being the manipulator....

lifelongresidient
lifelongresidient 05/12/10 - 07:36 am
malice murder and he is

malice murder and he is walking the streets?!?!?!? well that's our criminal justice system for you..those who voted to release him should be sued and held liable for what he did to his daughter. i always thought that beer came in "beer bottles" so if it was a flammable liquid then his intent was to hurt or kill someone by setting them on fire

lnegronp
lnegronp 05/12/10 - 09:08 am
WTH is wrong with the justice

WTH is wrong with the justice system in Augusta? You let a murderer out of jail after serving 16yrs of a 55yr sentence? He should have had the death penalty. Now some poor 20yr old has to live the rest of her life that her own father set her on fire over some stupid little argument. I hope this opens the eyes of the judicial system and put Augustans out of their misery of having to feed and clothe this menace to society. Death penalty is the only thing he deserve, quick fast and in a hurry!

lnegronp
lnegronp 05/12/10 - 09:08 am
WTH is wrong with the justice

lsmith
lsmith 05/12/10 - 10:48 am
Irony here. If he had been

Irony here. If he had been arrested for selling drugs he'd still be in jail. Or better yet, get caught selling counterfeit masters tickets. I know I guy who got 30 years for it. He's been rotting away in jail for almost 14 years. It defies logic how this guy could ever have gotten out of jail so quickly with just one murder, much less two and all the remainder of his rap sheet.
The thug/gangster culture running rampant in some elements of our country is changing the entire nature of America. Sadly, I believe another generation of this will render us not much more than a third world country. If you think I'm wrong, perhaps you should cast a jaundiced eye in that direction and read up on it.

Tots
Tots 05/12/10 - 12:17 pm
Some very good post on here

Some very good post on here today.This man should never get out of jail again.

inthearea
inthearea 05/12/10 - 01:28 pm
Ok so let's see: Look at how

Ok so let's see:
Look at how many times he has been arrested an what the charges are!!!! Why was he ever released from prison?? That's the system working again.

teapot
teapot 05/12/10 - 07:02 pm
This "man" previously

This "man" previously voluntarily killed someone. He served about 30 per cent of his sentence. Now, he attempts to kill his own child, in a most painful manner. I say that the State Of Georgia owes him. I suggest a piece of land, about 6 feet long, 6 feet deep and 3 feet wide. Put him in it, cover him up and walk away, don't even mark it.

what is wrong
what is wrong 05/12/10 - 09:32 pm
Why is he sitting in 401,

Why is he sitting in 401, send him back to Ga Department of Corrections please. He has a body count of two that we know of. He will kill at any given time. Prison is where he wants to be, so send him there. Please have the parole board members checked for mental illness. What was so special about this killer, that you released him? I know you guys did not think he was rehabilitated, or is Georgia Dept of Corrections a big joke.

Patty-P
Patty-P 05/13/10 - 08:10 pm
I'm still trying to figure

I'm still trying to figure out why murders are granted parole. Especially after killing two people.