Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Activist Merry to countersue Fennoy over fight before 2008 meeting

Community activist Woody Merry is countersuing former Augusta Commission candidate Bill Fennoy, saying Fennoy is the one who started the fight with him at James Brown Arena two years ago and should be the one to pay damages for physical injuries.

Merry, responding to a $30,000 lawsuit filed against him and his CSRA Help group last month, said he also wants punitive damages "to deter future similar conduct" and payment of his attorney's fees by Fennoy.

"Upon attempting to protect himself," according to Merry's answer, filed Friday in Richmond County State Court, "Defendant Merry was either negligently or intentionally knocked to the ground by the plaintiff whereupon he was repeatedly kicked suffering injuries and damages as will more fully appear at trial."

The two men faced off in a bumping, pushing and kicking brawl before an Augusta-Richmond County Coliseum Authority meeting May 29, 2008, after Merry confronted Fennoy in a corridor.

Merry was upset at Fennoy, a board member at the time, for having sat out an earlier meeting, which prevented a quorum and a possible vote to rehire fired Facilities Director Julie Huggins.

Fennoy said in his lawsuit that his left thumb was knocked out of joint, a permanent injury, and that he continues to "suffer humiliation as a result of being arrested, fingerprinted, his body being searched, and his freedom to move about restricted."

Both men were charged with simple battery.

The charge against Fennoy was dismissed, and Merry's charge was dead docketed on the condition that he issue an apology and behave at public meetings.

mommie2
mommie2 05/11/10 - 02:44 pm
Don't you think it's time to

Don't you think it's time to move on guys...

Whyisit01
Whyisit01 05/11/10 - 02:46 pm
NUTS, all these men want to

NUTS, all these men want to do is be seen, make a name for themselves and possibly be in the history books of Augusta (in the wrong way). I scream you scream, we all scream for ice cream.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 05/11/10 - 02:58 pm
Fennoy needs to lose this

Fennoy needs to lose this lawsuit in order to gain some “street creds” to help him win the next electoral race he enters. I hope he at least tries to run in the district he resides in, unlike others around here like Keith Brown and Leon Garvin and Ronnie Few.

Riverman1
Riverman1 05/11/10 - 03:00 pm
I said on these very boards

I said on these very boards this would happen. I hope Fennoy has lots of money because he is going to be playing in the bigtime with Merry.

Taylor B
Taylor B 05/11/10 - 03:57 pm
For two "pillars of the

For two "pillars of the community" these guys are pretty fragile. Thumb out of joint? LOL. And Merry should have been bobbin' when he was weavin'.

Riverman1
Riverman1 05/11/10 - 04:06 pm
Taylor, Merry is simply a

Taylor, Merry is simply a fed-up citizen, not a would-be politician. He should be appreciated.

chel
chel 05/11/10 - 04:09 pm
taxpayers have been paying

taxpayers have been paying for Fennoy's attorney up to this point according to WGAC investigation to the tune of $13,000. Guess when it is not your own money you don't care if the lawsuit is frivolous or not!

Emerydan
Emerydan 05/11/10 - 04:11 pm
I wish these 2 clowns would

I wish these 2 clowns would just go away.

Shelf
Shelf 05/11/10 - 04:20 pm
Emerydan ...just pop some

Emerydan ...just pop some popcorn ....lol

Riverman1
Riverman1 05/11/10 - 04:36 pm
I wouldn't call Woody Merry a

I wouldn't call Woody Merry a clown or anyone who takes on the powers that be in such a powerful way as Merry did. I could really talk bad about some of those in the Harrisburg battle and their actions that have resulted in arrests, but I won't. We are all in this together.

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 05/11/10 - 05:22 pm
Woody Merry is a great guy

Woody Merry is a great guy and if Fennoy had just dropped it this would all be over. I guess he needs money now or something.

Taylor, he shoulda been dodging and ducking, slipping and sliding, AND bobbing and weaving.

KatieLou
KatieLou 05/11/10 - 05:46 pm
Woody is at the vanguard of a

Woody is at the vanguard of a lot of fed up citizens. People are completely sick of being jerked around and having the governance of our community manipulated and obstructed by dimwits like Fennoy. If Fennoy had the brains God gave a hammer, he would have realized he was doing extremely well to get an apology the first time around.

Taylor B
Taylor B 05/11/10 - 05:52 pm
I think I hurt Riverman's

I think I hurt Riverman's feelings... I'm sorry Riverman.

Harrisburg Homeowner
Harrisburg Homeowner 05/11/10 - 07:08 pm
I wish this nonsense would

I wish this nonsense would just go away.

justus4
justus4 05/11/10 - 07:37 pm
Here is what will happen:

Here is what will happen: Woody is as wrong as two left shoes, but watch what happens. His so-called argument will be plastered on the front pages of the local printing operation and his blatant disregard for acting out & lawbreaking will be considered a virtue. He was on probation and acted beligerent within a public gathering - no charges were done. Now, he will demonstrate how blind lady justice really is, and why winning in so-called court has NOTHING to do with the facts. The article demonstrates that fact.

Riverman1
Riverman1 05/11/10 - 07:46 pm
TaylorB said, "I think I hurt

TaylorB said, "I think I hurt Riverman's feelings... I'm sorry Riverman."

It's okay, I lub you, too, Taylor. Now go find another office to run for.

Riverman1
Riverman1 05/11/10 - 07:53 pm
Justus4, come on you know

Justus4, come on you know Fennoy was a lout on the Coliseum Authority trying to disrupt any legitimate procedure.

One thing about Woody, he takes on issues many of us would rather avoid. Did you know when the black protestors were marching in front of WGAC, Woody was passing out cold sodas to them?

corgimom
corgimom 05/11/10 - 07:57 pm
"Fennoy said in his lawsuit

"Fennoy said in his lawsuit that the fight caused his left thumb to be knocked out of joint, a permanent injury, and that he continues to "suffer humiliation as a result of being arrested, fingerprinted, his body being searched, and his freedom to move about restricted.""

What a sissy. Man up, Fennoy.

Nat the Cat
Nat the Cat 05/12/10 - 07:39 am
I wonder if Justus thinks it

I wonder if Justus thinks it was justifiable for Mr. Fennoy to file his lawsuit against Mr. Merry for a thumb out of joint. Also, if your thumb is out of joint it cannot be, by definition, a permanent injury. It appears that Fennoy is lying about his injuries. If so, Fennoy and his Attorney, Ms. Paschel, could be hung out for a huge Attorney's Fee award.
And WHY would Fennoy bring all of this mess back up again, when he knows that Mr. Merry was going to just let it die a natural death!

Perhaps the investigative reporter who wrote this story should look into it, along with the alleged ANIC--Calvin Walker Fraud Case.

WHY have most all of the other Media outlets reported on an Investigation involving TAXPAYOR MONEY and not Johnny Edwards? Why does Mr. Edwards report on some investigations but not others?

Taylor B
Taylor B 05/11/10 - 09:52 pm
LOL Riverman, maybe later.

LOL Riverman, maybe later. Got to find my niche. Hey, you ever thought of running? Its different without the anonymity and lack of keyboard. Just go looking for pontoon boats, somethings bound to catch your eye!

Riverman1
Riverman1 05/11/10 - 10:46 pm
TaylorB, I've got too dang

TaylorB, I've got too dang many politicians in my family in two states already. I'm convinced I influence more on these boards than they do. Some of them are in office, some have been in office, some won elections and some lost. They're all crooked except one. (Now they can all think I mean he is the ONE.)

Riverman1
Riverman1 05/11/10 - 10:58 pm
TaylorB, actually, you are an

TaylorB, actually, you are an interesting candidate. You are a blue collar worker with an appeal to the common voter. You also write well in these comments. You are witty and show an even, good natured side. These comments tell alot about someone.

You came across well in those debates even if you didn't have a chance of winning. Your problem is that you are stuck in the fringe Libertarian Party and have few financial resources.

Young as you are, you can find a way into the Republican camp and possibly the financial resources will come your way. You would make a great candidate.

Trey Enfantay
Trey Enfantay 05/12/10 - 04:33 am
I have faith in Taylor B not

I have faith in Taylor B not to sell out. Us Libertarians may not be many, but we are loyal to the cause for the right reasons.

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 05/12/10 - 06:33 am
Fennoy should be sued for

Fennoy should be sued for malfeasance in office for his failure to sit in meetings and his obstruction of those same meetings. That may wake up more than a few politicians!!

tomcatrucker
tomcatrucker 05/12/10 - 06:44 am
I'll be in Woodys'

I'll be in Woodys' corner.Give em Hell Woody.You know you got my support!!

Taylor B
Taylor B 05/12/10 - 07:42 am
Appreciate your kind words

Appreciate your kind words Riverman, you are okay with me.

gnumbgnuts
gnumbgnuts 05/12/10 - 10:00 am
Change 'em and give 'em back

Change 'em and give 'em back their binkys.

baronvonreich
baronvonreich 05/12/10 - 12:08 pm
Keep up the good fight Woody!

Keep up the good fight Woody!

Emerydan
Emerydan 05/12/10 - 10:05 pm
Just a thought.. I would love

Just a thought.. I would love to see this suit settled by Judge Judy!!

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 05/12/10 - 11:11 pm
Good for Woody. It must be

Good for Woody. It must be something worthwhile to do since justus4 is dead set against it.

Protest by animal activists called off

Animal activists canceled a scheduled protest Friday at Augusta Animal Services after the city's announcement Thursday that the department would begin working with a rescue group and will refrain ...