Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Man shot in struggle with deputy

Richmond County officer on leave during investigation into shooting

A man was shot Tuesday afternoon during a struggle with a Richmond County sheriff's deputy.

Deputy Joe Martin was at Augusta Estates when he spotted Diriuss Antonio Redd, who had five warrants out for his arrest.   Rainier Ehrhardt/Staff
Rainier Ehrhardt/Staff

While taking a statement, he noticed another man whom he recognized as Diriuss Antonio Redd, who had five warrants out for his arrest, three of which Martin had issued, investigators say.

Martin immediately got into his cruiser and pursued Redd.

Sheriff's Maj. Ken Autry said a "struggle" ensued that ended with Redd shot in the "midsection." Autry did not know whether the deputy intentionally fired his weapon or whether it went off accidentally during the struggle.

"It looks like he was justified either way because the guy was trying to get his weapon," Autry said.

He said Redd's injury "didn't appear life-threatening."

Several people in the neighborhood who heard the commotion said Martin yelled "get down," and one shot was fired.

Resident Stephanie Kelly said Redd was struck in the buttocks.

Redd was wanted on four misdemeanor warrants and one felony, which Autry said was stalking-related.

Martin, 47, was a Richmond County sheriff's deputy in the 1990s and returned in October. Autry said he didn't know what Martin did in the interim but said, "He's not a rookie."

Martin will remain on administrative leave while the Georgia Bureau of Investigation investigates.

flipa
flipa 04/27/10 - 04:13 pm
We need more RC deputies like

We need more RC deputies like Martin. Redd is notoriously dangerous. Just wish Martin had aimed a little higher is all. ha ha hah Welcome back Deputy Martin

brimisjoshan
brimisjoshan 04/27/10 - 04:23 pm
Good job, officer Martin!

Good job, officer Martin! Praise God you was not hurt. Mr. Redd could have avoided his injuries by responding to the officer's commands.

ArmedandLegal
ArmedandLegal 04/27/10 - 04:24 pm
"Justified" - just like that

"Justified" - just like that new show I watch on F/X every tuesday. Oh wait thats tonight!

lifelongresidient
lifelongresidient 04/27/10 - 04:39 pm
good shooting, of course out

good shooting, of course out will trot a scumbag lawyer with the "mistaken identity or my client has no outstanding warrants" defense topped off with the "my client was scared for his life, that's why he tried to grab the deputy's gun" then of course it will be a request for mercy my client has children/sick relative to take care off....great job deputy..may your aim be true and keep your powder dry....

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 04/27/10 - 05:20 pm
lifelongresidient, unless the

lifelongresidient, unless the perp already has an attorney, he will be appointed one. Your "scumbag" description is not warranted in this case. You want to call an attorney a derogatory name, look for Maddoff's, or Blago's attorneys.

lifelongresidient
lifelongresidient 04/27/10 - 06:01 pm
his public defender will

his public defender will plead his client "not guilty" wasting the taxpayer's dollars when he could plead his client "guilty" and let him take his punishment..he has outstanding warrants so my question why does he need a lawyer??? just plead guilty and got to jail..what is his defense going to be??? "mistake identity???? racism, it wasn't me???"

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 04/27/10 - 06:07 pm
He has the same rights as

He has the same rights as you, lifelongresidient! Would you take that away? It doesn't matter what he pleads, he will be convicted by the evidence. Our court system may have problems, but it's the best we have. I hope you never have to sit on a jury! The defendant wouldn't have a chance with you.

lifelongresidient
lifelongresidient 04/27/10 - 06:24 pm
he is a convicted felon, i am

he is a convicted felon, i am not i work every day he as a criminal violated someone rights while he was committing his crimes...it's comes a time when as a habitual criminal your rights have to be forefited for the good of those who follow and complies with a lawful order. sarge you are abosolutely right if he committed the crime then yes he can kiss his behind good bye...i guess brian nichols would love to have you on his jury....

isaidit
isaidit 04/27/10 - 06:53 pm
You'd be amazed at how many

You'd be amazed at how many repeat (felony) offenders are walking the streets of America. Hence the term "Repeat Offender". But you cannot deny them their right to plead innocent. What kinda country would this be Lifelong if we did that?? Be serious....he'll have his day in court and his time in jail. I'm thankful that an officer came thru this death match with a thug 20 yrs his junior alive, and will make it home to his family safely. Believe me, these brave individuals dont get paid nearly enough for the risk they are sworn to take for our safety! Good job Deputy Martin. Peace

isaidit
isaidit 04/27/10 - 06:57 pm
Sarge-and neither did

Sarge-and neither did we.....Whooaah!

brimisjoshan
brimisjoshan 04/27/10 - 08:35 pm
I agree that even though it

I agree that even though it is not always as quick as we like that we do have to have due process of law. I believe our biggest problem comes in the way we punish them. What punishment is it to give him 3 square meals a day and let him sit around and watch TV all day. When someone is convicted we ought to make them work hard labor. Or if thy are caught stealing cut off a hand. That will cut down on repeat offenders.

sassygirl12
sassygirl12 04/27/10 - 09:45 pm
I think the deputy deserves a

I think the deputy deserves a dang metal for a job well done. thats what the stupid idiot gets for trying to take the cops weapon.

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 04/27/10 - 10:48 pm
Whatever happened, I hope the

Whatever happened, I hope the truth of the matter is determined and justice will be accomplished according to the law.

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 04/28/10 - 01:02 am

jb1234
jb1234 04/27/10 - 11:31 pm
Autumn, the truth of the

Autumn, the truth of the matter is that the man tried to wrestle the gun away from the officer. Whether the gun discharged accidentally or the deputy fired upon the man before the man injured him is what still needs to be determined. The bottom line is that the man wouldn't have been shot if he would have cooperated with the officer.

stephr721
stephr721 04/28/10 - 12:44 am
Sarge is the voice of reason.

Sarge is the voice of reason.

corgimom
corgimom 04/28/10 - 06:33 am
Sargebaby, when someone has 5

Sargebaby, when someone has 5 warrants out for their arrest- yes, that's scumbag in my book too.

Good people do not have 5 outstanding arrest warrants. Good people do not stalk others. And he tried to kill that police officer.

Lifelong, I'm with you.

deekster
deekster 04/28/10 - 07:07 am
In the buttooocks!!! Mama

In the buttooocks!!! Mama always said life was like a box o' chocolates.....
Humor in Dysfunction Junction. Got to love the AC. The whole paper is a "comic strip".

55 F-100
55 F-100 04/28/10 - 08:25 am
In the buttocks, and barely

In the buttocks, and barely missing Mr. Redd's head.....a classic case of criminal rectal-cranial inversion.

isaidit
isaidit 04/28/10 - 08:59 am
Corgi-Sarge was referring to

Corgi-Sarge was referring to the lawyer(s) "scumbag statement" made by Lifelong not necessarily being warranted, not that low life scumbag himself. Hope he gets to spend a long time around folk like himself.

ripjones
ripjones 04/28/10 - 09:19 am
Sarge, I understand what you

Sarge, I understand what you meant. I just hope that this time, the idiot gets smart and pleads guilty, and saves us all the time and trouble. And to lifelong, I agree -- keep your powder dry. I don't know what round, RC deputies carry. If it was a Hydra-Shok, Redd will have a nice scar on his butt, to show his boyfriend in prison.

crackertroy
crackertroy 04/28/10 - 09:54 am
"The deputy, Joe Martin, had

"The deputy, Joe Martin, had gone to Augusta Estates mobile home park on Milledgeville Road to investigate a burglary." Shouldn't it be "went to Augusta Estates..."

KSL
KSL 04/28/10 - 10:00 am
I believe "had gone" is just

I believe "had gone" is just as correct grammatically and conveys the connotation that he was there for other reasons that to discover this particular criminal. Thankfully you didn't say "had went" like a lot of people in Aiken County are prone to say.

pommom38
pommom38 04/28/10 - 01:54 pm
Lol Zoe. You gotta love the

Lol Zoe. You gotta love the grammer babble on here.
I'm with Lifelong as well. Yes, because we have a justice system, we must wait for the rewards of criminals being in the slammer.
I know it's protocol to suspend and investigate anytime a shooting happens involving an officer, but he was in the right!! Way to go!!
I hope he finished the burglary call. lol

pommom38
pommom38 04/28/10 - 03:05 pm
Ah, whats the matter

Ah, whats the matter Lorraine? You having a bad day hun?? lmao
If wanting criminals behind bar's, and being sick of seeing the *justice* system fail time and time again is bigotry and hatred? Then by goly, WELCOME to the new Redneck America!! Cause that is how 85% of america feels.

Sleuth
Sleuth 04/28/10 - 04:23 pm
So if you want repeat

So if you want repeat offenders locked up and behind bars you are a redneck. Did that come from Jeff Foxworthy? :)

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 04/28/10 - 10:21 pm
jb1234, as always and as it

jb1234, as always and as it should be, an investigation is appropriate in these cases, so saying it went one way or another is premature. I don't take sides. I want the facts once they have been determined. However, my personal HOPE, like every law-abiding citizen, is that the officer did everything that his job requires. I want law and order. Don't you?

jb1234
jb1234 04/28/10 - 10:51 pm
Of course I do AutumnLeaves,

Of course I do AutumnLeaves, but the article clearly states that a 'struggle ensued'. Therefore, I personally believe that the officer had every right to protect his own life by any means necessary. I'm not saying that the officer even shot the man (the weapon very well could have discharged by accident), but the officer is justified if he did fire. The man likely would have never gotten shot had he cooperated with the officer in the first place.

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 04/30/10 - 12:20 am
I can read just fine jb1234.

I can read just fine jb1234. But I don't believe everything that I read, just because it is in a news article. I tend to believe the officer is in the right because I'm biased in favor of police officers. But my bias (personal belief) is irrelevant; it's the facts we're after. And it should probably read, "a struggle allegedly ensued". But that's just my opinion. We're still in the "If-then" stage of the investigation. I'm anxious for the investigation to be done and hope the officer is cleared to go back to work. We need officers who will act when it is right for them to do so.