Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Dispute over parking space leads to violence

ATLANTA - Police are investigating a shooting and stabbing that they say resulted from an argument over a parking space at a DeKalb County mall.

Police told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution in a story today that the fight broke out at the Stonecrest Mall in Lithonia late Friday night because a man was upset that another man took his parking space.

They said two men started arguing, and one pulled out a knife and stabbed the other. The man who was stabbed then pulled out a handgun.

But police said the bullet missed the man who stabbed him and hit a woman standing nearby. Officials said none of the injuries were serious and the names of those involved were not immediately released.

crackerjack
crackerjack 04/24/10 - 02:46 pm
Is a parking place that

Is a parking place that important? That's the reason I park out where there are no other cars. I see people driving around for 15 to 20 minutes looking for a parking place near the door. And when I see them come in the store, I'm usually in the checkout line. Why stress out!

overburdened_taxpayer
overburdened_taxpayer 04/24/10 - 03:12 pm
Because America is too lazy

Because America is too lazy to walk from a parking space any further out than 15 spaces, if that far.

Dan White 04/24/10 - 03:41 pm
Road rage, parking lot rage.

Road rage, parking lot rage. Everyone's fuse is short these days.

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 04/24/10 - 03:48 pm
I hate wasting my time on

I hate wasting my time on Atlanta news. If it had said anything about it not being local I wouldn't have bothered to read it. I just want local news when I don't have a lot of time.

charliemanson
charliemanson 04/24/10 - 04:56 pm
Autumn: the trick is to get

Autumn: the trick is to get you to click on the link. Lol.

charliemanson
charliemanson 04/24/10 - 05:07 pm
So, the man pulled out his

So, the man pulled out his gun and shot an "innocent" woman. Got to leave the guns to the John Waynes of the world. Hopefully, the woman makes a full recovery.

shamrock
shamrock 04/24/10 - 11:11 pm
In Augusta we just blow the

In Augusta we just blow the horn and give them the one-finger salute.

brayton99
brayton99 04/25/10 - 08:06 am
only in georgia, lol.

only in georgia, lol.

Runner46
Runner46 04/25/10 - 08:26 am
Gee. How can you miss hitting

Gee. How can you miss hitting a target at close range with a handgun? The person attacked with only a knife. And besides, fighting over a parking space? Get a perspective. There are much more important things in life to fight over using deadly force.

Casting_Fool
Casting_Fool 04/25/10 - 08:31 am
"I see people driving around

"I see people driving around for 15 to 20 minutes looking for a parking place near the door." That might be because some of us have disabilities that are not obvious, and we don't have handicap placards that would allow us to use the handicap spaces. My knee is shot and hurts constantly. It helps to get a close in space to shorten the distance that I have to walk, so sometimes I loop around the lot a couple of times in order to get closer in.

happychimer
happychimer 04/25/10 - 08:40 am
Runner said...The person

Runner said...The person attacked with only a knife.

Years ago a cousin of mine was murdered with "just a knife".

Trey Enfantay
Trey Enfantay 04/25/10 - 08:42 am
Did your cousin also have a

Did your cousin also have a gun in his pocket like this victim did?

Ayetidiosi
Ayetidiosi 04/25/10 - 08:53 am
Trey, if the cousin had, Aye

Trey, if the cousin had, Aye firmly believes that cousin would have had one empty chamber by the time he got to the sto.

butler123
butler123 04/25/10 - 11:28 am
I'm really glad that there is

I'm really glad that there is such a thing as handicapped parking, but I believe a lot of the people that have a placard don't really need them. I also think that some places like the mall and a lot of places on post have way too many handicapped parking places.

KSL
KSL 04/25/10 - 11:44 am
Errr, charliemanson, you'd

Errr, charliemanson, you'd don't know whether it's local or not until you click on the link.

keeanzia
keeanzia 04/25/10 - 01:10 pm
Over a parking space....are

Over a parking space....are you serious!

sassygirl12
sassygirl12 04/25/10 - 01:53 pm
truth be known they were

truth be known they were probably to dang lazy to walk a extra few feet to get to where they were going. thats whats wrong with people today they are lazy and dont want to walk

Casting_Fool
Casting_Fool 04/25/10 - 07:53 pm
"... but I believe a lot of

"... but I believe a lot of the people that have a placard don't really need them..." Only a medical professional can make this determination. My dad only has 33% of his lung capacity, but otherwise looks perfectly healthy. He cannot walk from halfway back in the parking lot, not won't, cannot physically do it. I've met other otherwise perfectly looking healthy folk who in reality are severely disabled. You cannot judge a person's disability by looking at them.