Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Deputies injured while subduing suspect

Two Richmond County deputies were injured early today in a fight with a DUI suspect.
The fight happened around 2:30 a.m. on Interstate 20 near Walton Way Extension when deputies went to investigate a vehicle sitting on the road's shoulder. The deputies said they found Troy Curtis, 29, slumped behind the wheel and rapped on the window to wake him up. Curtis awakened but refused to leave the vehicle, so deputies tried to pull him out, a report says. Curtis reportedly responded by punching a deputy in the face, so he was hit with pepper spray. Curtis got out of the vehicle after that but continued swinging at deputies until backup deputies arrived, the report says.
Curtis, of the 2900 block of Arrowwood Circle, Hephzibah, was arrested on charges of DUI and two counts of obstruction of a law enforcement officer. The deputies were treated at University Hospital for injuries. The nature and extent of their injuries were not known.

AWyld1
AWyld1 04/09/10 - 08:58 pm
Should have just shot him....

Should have just shot him....

curly123053
curly123053 04/09/10 - 09:35 pm
I echo AWyld1's comment.

I echo AWyld1's comment. There is way to much scum out there.

willienelson
willienelson 04/10/10 - 06:22 am
Why couldn't they have just

Why couldn't they have just called a wrecker and towed him to jail?

grinder48
2059
grinder48 04/10/10 - 06:38 am
Shootin' him woulda created

Shootin' him woulda created too much BS for LE under the circumstances. I wondered why they didn't just flatten his tires and wait or, like williwnelson said, just tow the car with him in it but then realized the drunk idiot may have had a gun and done something even more stupid. I totally support our LE and think they did the right thing. Can't help but wonder though why 2 trained LE deps with pepperspray couldn't get this punk under control before backup arrived.

Dixieman
Dixieman 04/10/10 - 06:46 am
1. Roll window down two

1. Roll window down two inches, close door.
2. Keeping subject inside car by leaning firmly against door, discharge entire can of pepper spray into vehicle.
3. Use duct tape to seal gap in window.
4. Wait 30 minutes.

chadwick323i
chadwick323i 04/10/10 - 07:06 am
Its clearly obama and the

Its clearly obama and the democrats fault. The gentleman was intoxicated because of health care. He thought he was fighting them.

devgru1
devgru1 04/10/10 - 07:41 am
These deputies were too nice.

These deputies were too nice. Unfortunately they have to be more politically correct today to keep their jobs. Some of the deputies I used to work with in the 80's would have handed him his [filtered word] on a plate.

WW1949
WW1949 04/10/10 - 08:55 am
devgru1, While I support the

devgru1, While I support the RCSD, the deputys did the right thing. Beating someone up and handing him his{}on a plate is not the right thing to do. I bet you would not have done that to another deputy in your time would you. There is a difference if someone has a weapon and is trying to do you harm vs. a drunk that does not know what is going on. He does however need to serve a few days and loose his privlage to drive for a while because of his stupid actions. Thank goodness no one was hurt by his stupidity.

dani
dani 04/10/10 - 08:59 am
_Thank goodness no one was

_Thank goodness no one was hurt by his stupidity__??
The article states that the extent of their injuries is not known.

Back to story
Back to story 04/10/10 - 09:12 am
Awyld1, no shootings by

Awyld1, no shootings by officers allowed until AFTER the Masters is over and all the guests have gone home.

Willie, love your solution but I wonder what would have happened if they'd just told the man to stay in the car? As belligerent as he was he'd probably come on out on his own accord just to be contrary.

AugustaVoter
AugustaVoter 04/10/10 - 10:04 am
Good old D shift. All the bad

Good old D shift. All the bad stuff happens when they are working.

Richmnd Cty Votr
Richmnd Cty Votr 04/10/10 - 10:05 am
29 and still taking a temper

29 and still taking a temper tantrum. GROW UP ALREADY TROY CURTIS!

jack
jack 04/10/10 - 11:10 am
I hope the scumbag has a few

I hope the scumbag has a few knots on his head.

WW1949
WW1949 04/10/10 - 12:56 pm
dani, The subject was set

dani, The subject was set when I said the drunk. When I said he it was referring back to the injuries that could have happened because of the drunks stupidity. By that I would take it that people would understand an accident while driving drunk.

sassygirl12
sassygirl12 04/10/10 - 07:37 pm
I do believe mr troy must

I do believe mr troy must have had a bad night. you stupid idiot. if you would have stayed your sorry butt at home and drank you could have passed out in your bed and avoided all of this mess. now you have to go to court and pay out of your yeng yang.

grinder48
2059
grinder48 04/11/10 - 05:56 am
still want to know why 2

still want to know why 2 trained LE deps with pepperspray couldn't get this punk under control before backup arrived. Do they need additional training. Do they need better physical conditioning? Not meaning to be politically incorrect but were either or both female? (I can't help but think about Brian Nichols case in ATL in which Nichols overpowered his female guard, took her gun, killed the judge and several others ... )

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 04/11/10 - 03:18 pm
I just hope the deputies are

I just hope the deputies are okay.

GypsyWomaan1
GypsyWomaan1 04/12/10 - 10:43 am
Wow, Freedom of Speach....

Wow, Freedom of Speach.... Isn't it wonderful. Thank a Veteran to day.

lifelongresidient
lifelongresidient 04/13/10 - 07:05 am
dear awylds, my sentiments

dear awylds, my sentiments exactly!!!!

imacdiva
imacdiva 04/17/10 - 10:55 pm

City Ink: New board means more work for me

First Mayor-elect Hardie Davis will be sworn in, and the very next day the work will begin. Commissioners will meet and the gavel will fall. It will be a brand new day at City Hall.