Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Neighbors in Pepperidge subdivision rally against violence after deaths of two teenagers

Community hunts solution after teens killed

Parents and families in the Pepperidge subdivision stood together Saturday and said "enough is enough."

Back | Next
A Pepperidge resident is consoled over the deaths of two teens in the past month.   Bianca Cain/Staff
Bianca Cain/Staff

"We're taking our neighborhood back," the Rev. Claude Harris of New Life Worship Center told a crowd of about 60 people in the subdivision, where two teens have died in the past month. "I'm sick and tired of elderly people afraid to come on their porch. I look around, I don't see the girls playing hopscotch and jumping double Dutch in the yard. It's time now to get them back where they feel comfortable in the front yard and not hiding in the back."

The Jan. 26 death of Brandon Desean Taylor, a sophomore at Butler High School, was linked to gang activity, according to Richmond County authorities. Hephzibah residents Brandon Ira Le'Keith Helm, 18, of Warwick Place, and Darian Deandre Postell, 19, of Thames Place, are each charged with murder.

Sixteen-year-old Tykiah Palmer, who was pregnant, was shot to death Feb. 17 during an argument with a friend of her brother. Loviet Nushawn Edwards, 15, is charged with two counts of murder.

Families gathered Saturday at a Stop the Violence rally not only to console one another but also to search for an answer to the problem.

Neighbors joined hands in prayer, asking God for help to bring safety back to their community.

"They say we have a lost generation," said Augusta Mayor Pro Tem Alvin Mason. "That's just something I don't believe."

Harris has been working with gangs in his church and said he has found the solution.

"We found there is one thing these young men need," he said, "and that's family."

After working with the boys, he saw four gangs join to play basketball. After that, he saw no violence for three months.

Bernard Harper, a former Augusta commissioner, said the answer lies in community centers, which would give the children something to do besides congregate in the streets.

Alecia Reed, who has lived in Pepperidge for nine years and reared six children there, said the violence isn't going to scare her out of her home.

"I want to stay here and see this through," she said. "I'm volunteering to do anything I can."

If you go

A gang awareness class will be offered at 7:30 p.m. Wednesday at New Life Worship Center. The South Augusta Teen Summit on teen violence and guns will be at noon March 13 at Gracewood Community Center. Call (706) 993-8739 for more information.

to tell the truth1
to tell the truth1 02/28/10 - 12:49 pm
These generational kids

These generational kids today, most of them have no values or morals. The only thing that interest them is the glorification of material things, their minimum wage moms must keep them dressed in the name brand clothes and shoes. Most of them don't even know what the inside of a church looks like because their parent(s) never took them there. But the parents are the first in line for circus and R&B concert tickets. And yes, the government is partially responsible, free food stamps, free housing, free medical. The black community don't want to realize that these things are meant to be temporary but they play it on out as a life time dependency as long as they can milk the system with lies and deceit. Yes, your welfare mom with her kids move into Pepperidge and other subdivisons with their section 8 vouchers along with their (unreported) boyfriend(s) with or without a job or either he is a dope dealer and your children are among those circumstances, what else do you expect from them?

to tell the truth1
to tell the truth1 02/28/10 - 12:52 pm
These generational kids

corgimom
corgimom 02/28/10 - 01:04 pm
Dear Mr. Thomas, While I

Dear Mr. Thomas,

While I understand what you are trying to do, I take exception to your idea that someone should "teach" children about Murder and Homicide.

Normal people do not go around shooting others. And people ARE taught about murder- as in "Thou shalt not kill". If you want to tell me that teenagers do not know that shooting people is terribly wrong and that they will go to prison if they do that, then I would say that the teenagers that you are dealing with are socially abnormal- as in possessing antisocial behavior and sociopathic.

I help teach 5 and 6 year olds of all races. And they ALL know about what is right and wrong. They ALL know that shooting people and killing people is wrong. Some of them, sadly, are already aware of what prison means. I've had them tell me about their father/mother/brother/cousin, etc. that is in prison.

So just what do you think needs to be taught?

airbud7
airbud7 02/28/10 - 01:09 pm
I agree with justus its a

I agree with justus its a lost cause why even try.

dichotomy
dichotomy 02/28/10 - 01:13 pm
I do not think justus4 or

I do not think justus4 or anyone else could equate the standard of living of the kids in Pepperidge with "horrible conditions". Pepperidge is a solidly middle class neighborhood with nice houses and where most residents are drawing a middle class salary. The problems in Pepperidge have nothing to do with horrible conditions or the hypocrisy of preachers and politicians. It has to do the the culture of the community. It has to do with idolizing crime, drugs, thieving, and sex and promoting those things in the music the culture listens to, the movies and TV they watch, and the computer games they play. These kids are not THE lost generation, they are about the THIRD lost generation and I doubt seriously that it can be turned around since we now have "lost generation" parents who are birthing (not parenting) kids into this downward spiraling culture. For the rest of us, it is time to quit trying to influence that which we cannot. Only the parents can change their kids. "B" ball and sermons just won't cut it. We need to concentrate primarily on our own self defense. The parents need to get control over their own kids and put pressure on their next door neighbors to do the same with their's. If the parents do not intervene then they can expect to find their kids dead or in jail. There is nothing outsiders can do except support law enforcement and protect yourself. The kids in Pepperidge are not some group of socio-economically deprived underprivileged teen agers who have been bypassed by society. These are fairly well to do kids who live in nice houses, eat well, and have all the benifits of a good standard of living. The have just been allowed to be mean, self centered little punks. No excuses. Parents, you cannot let your kids participate in the gansta rap culture and not expect them to turn up dead or in jail. No excuses for the parents either. My only sympathies are for the parents in this community who were doing a good job with their kids and they still fell innocent victims of these gutless thugs.

crackerjack
crackerjack 02/28/10 - 01:13 pm
As I have said

As I have said before........My heart goes out to the families of the victims, but when investigators come to Pepperidge and ask questions, no one knows anything. How many more young people will have to die before someone steps up and identifies these scumbag lowlifes.

butler123
butler123 02/28/10 - 01:15 pm
If more parents would get

If more parents would get into trouble for what their little angels do I think that would reflect a real change. Make parents responsible for their children's actions.

WW1949
WW1949 02/28/10 - 01:20 pm
We did fine because we were

We did fine because we were taught by our mothers AND fathers what was right and what was wrong. We got a whipping if we did wrong and no one called the police. We had a certain time to be in and we were restricted who we could be around because of what our PARENTS thought about the family and h of the people we wanted to hang with. We also were taught to choose our friends wisely. We grew up in a time that was better than today because we had adults that watched out for our welfare so that we would be better people. Thank goodness I did not grow up in the Welfare, Section 8 enviroment. Someone (parents) need to teach these young men and women to keep their pants on so they do not get on the government plantation.

WW1949
WW1949 02/28/10 - 01:28 pm
Pepperidge is a large

Pepperidge is a large community of diverse people who are very good people. It just takes a small group to spoil that. May the people who committed the murders never ever see the light of day again. They should go to Jackson and face the needle for their crimes no matter the age.

to tell the truth1
to tell the truth1 02/28/10 - 01:46 pm
dichotomy, you made some good

dichotomy, you made some good points but I must disagree with you about just because these kids live in nices homes they are are subject to the circumstances that are being addresses on this forum. You made a general statements that they are not deprived, how do you know that? some of them got to be with what has been going on with teen violence in Pepperidge for several years now. You probably could have made that statement about 25 years ago when things of this nature was not even heard of in Pepperidge. I don't know where you are getting your stats from but you need to do some more research. I've lived out here about 15 years and I've SEEN it!

to tell the truth1
to tell the truth1 02/28/10 - 01:53 pm
Correction concerning my last

Correction concerning my last post to Dichotomy because kids live in nice homes that they are NOT being subject to the circumstances addressed on this form.

tlnvols1
tlnvols1 02/28/10 - 03:33 pm
Brad Owens The guy you caught

Brad Owens
The guy you caught must of been midget or girl, who else wouls be scared of you ?
Please don't try to act tough by blowing your own horn.

to tell the truth1
to tell the truth1 02/28/10 - 04:13 pm
airbud7, you hit it right on

airbud7, you hit it right on the head. It is a lost cause. The neighborhood is getting to be substandard. To prove my point, I moved from the old part to the new part 8 years ago. On my street, the 2 homeowners that have left and moved to Columbia county. Their homes are now being rented by Section 8 occupants, need I say anything else!

disssman
disssman 02/28/10 - 04:48 pm
I believe if you read all the

I believe if you read all the posts you will find the underlying problem with peperidge and the southside. When we have a problem, a large majority want to wring their hands and seek salvation from god and clain that the kids need help. Well folks these little bums could care less about you or god. They flaunt authority on a daily basis. And our sheriff turns a blind eye to it for the sake of re-election. When was the last time the sheriff actually stopped some one for playing filthy rap music that can be heard a quarter mile away? I have seen cruisers blow by these punks as if they didn't exhist. When are the deputies going to patrol neighborhoods? I am sure if we have a thousand deputied, some of them could be in neighborhoods daily. But no, where are they, on radar patrol or giving speeches in schools sbout gang violance or what? If I am not mistaken the sheriffs office is the second largest employer in the city, How many officers are dedicated to be on patrol? If an accident cruiser isn't investigating an accident, why can't they patrol? We need some grown up management with guts and brains.

mizani18
mizani18 02/28/10 - 05:02 pm
deekster Are you serious? If

deekster Are you serious? If you have ever been to Rev. Harris' church, you would know that he does speak the truth. This is the church to go if you want to hear the truth from the Pastors. But if you've never been you wouldn't know..... Anyway I agree with Rev. Harris. A lot of times children are left to themselves and anyone with too much time on their hands get into trouble. We need more parents to step up and be the parents and we need more wholesome activities for these kids to direct their time and energy to. (with adult supervision) I don't know if you went to the rallly but he did. Where were you? Stop being critical of people that are actually making a effort to take back the community.

augustahistorybuff
augustahistorybuff 02/28/10 - 05:06 pm
It's not the mayor that needs

It's not the mayor that needs to be there. It's the Sheriff, a gang investigator, beat deputies, and a community policing officer. Were they there? Were any of them? Or, were these good people looking for solutions on their own? There is a solution, but first, there must be a bridge between the divide that exists between law enforcement, community social services, and the community itself. It doesn't help that the ecomony is in shambles right now which effects budget, but there are solutions that can be put into place. It's caled thinking outside the box.

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 02/28/10 - 05:25 pm
tlnvols, I love you internet

tlnvols, I love you internet tough guys.

nofrills
nofrills 02/28/10 - 05:26 pm
A community centers, which

A community centers, which would give the children somewhere to sell drugs and bully people.Just ask the people of Old town. I believe they had one on 3rd st. Dont know if its still open.

TheDeerhunter
TheDeerhunter 02/28/10 - 05:53 pm
black this and white that

black this and white that black this and white that. black people are like this and white folk like that and wahh wahh wahh i won't want my baby bottle. Just shut the hell up and be happy its a nice day outside.

MomInRC
MomInRC 02/28/10 - 06:28 pm
I hate to sound like a

I hate to sound like a naysayer, but think about the kids who grew up and made it despite their circumstances way back when. People were proud of them because they worked hard to do what was not being taught in the home. They were the exception to the rule of what most had in the home: morals, work ethic, education, discipline, and fathers. Now, it seems the exception is all of the above and the norm is single parent households with on/off fathers, parents too busy to worry about what the kids are up to, neglect, immoral behavior examples, lack of discipline, no work ethic when the government pays people to have babies, and praise for their children's bad behavior. Nothing will change, no matter how hard the community, schools, or churches work at it, unless the parents take responsibility for their own kids and show them the way through hard work, discipline, and their own example. That won't happen unless people are made accountable for their actions, as well as their children's truancy/behavior at school, limits on handouts, and those who are on gov't assistance being made to work, drug testing, etc. I'm not against gov't assistance per se, but what do people think was done before welfare and foodstamps? And the music industry, Hollywood, and magazines glorify trampy women and "thug" men, whom these kids look up to since their parents also emulate that type or are absent altogether. To sum up my rant (and get off my soapbox), people need to raise their own kids physically, financially, emotionally, and educationally rather than thinking someone else is supposed to. I appreciate what the community tries to do for kids, and I do it as well since we can't give up on them, but it disgusts me so much how there is no accountability.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 02/28/10 - 06:18 pm
MomInRC....You are one Common

MomInRC....You are one Common Sense Lady and it is a pleasure reading your post. Thank You.

MomInRC
MomInRC 02/28/10 - 06:39 pm
Thanks CG. As I posted, I

Thanks CG. As I posted, I read some of the others and I think we all have the same ideas. Just so everyone knows, I am speaking as someone who had a child on Medicaid for a short time when I was eighteen, but I learned from it and planned my other children better. I was married and we worked, so we didn't qualify for any other help (You're punished if you actually are married.) I've never had to go back to that situation and I appreciated the help when I needed it. I've also paid it back in taxes over the years. As for the other things, I'm also speaking as someone who's made mistakes, but I sure as hello don't teach my kids that laziness is rewarded, criminal behavior makes them tough, or that they're entitled to anything more than anyone else who has to work for it. I don't tolerate butt cracks, badmouthing adults (me or anyone else), and my kids know dropping out of school is not an option unless they think they're grown enough to support themselves. They also say ma'am and sir to their elders.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 02/28/10 - 06:46 pm
MomInRC, With your mindset,

MomInRC, With your mindset, it would be an honor and a pleasure to have you as my neighbor.

tlnvols1
tlnvols1 02/28/10 - 07:14 pm
Brad you are the one who was

Brad you are the one who was acting tough, do you thin anyone actually believes your post??

countyman
20153
countyman 02/28/10 - 07:55 pm
This is how false rumors

This is how false rumors start. Riverman since you live in Columbia county. Let me help you out with your misinformation. Pepperidge is definitely not a high crime area. Pepperidge is one of the biggest subdivisions in Richmond county. A middle class area full of military families. Neither is all of Harrisburg high crime either. The side of Harrisburg facing Summerville/Hill has beautiful lawns and homes. The side of Harrisburg btw Eve street and the Medical Distirct. This is the side of Harrisburg that needs some gentrification and has some crime problems.

countyman
20153
countyman 02/28/10 - 07:58 pm
Why does this article have to

Why does this article have to do with race or welfare? Last time I checked everybody in Pepperidge has 2 to 4 cars in the driveway. The neighborhood is white, black, hispanic, and asian. The area is middle class and has alot of military families.

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/28/10 - 08:20 pm
Countyman, I wasn't trying to

Countyman, I wasn't trying to diss the Pepperidge area...or the Harrisburg area either. But the article is about the people of Pepperidge being upset with violence. I know you are Richmond County's biggest supporter and there's nothing wrong with that. I like your enthusiasm as I've said more than once.

countyman
20153
countyman 02/28/10 - 08:33 pm
Riverman1..... I'm Augusta's,

Riverman1..... I'm Augusta's, Richmond county, Metro, and CSRA biggest supporters. I used to live in the Martinez part of Columbia county before moving downtown.

I was only correcting you on Pepperidge.

LCC0256
LCC0256 02/28/10 - 08:45 pm
Did anyone even notice that

Did anyone even notice that Bernard Harper (obviously a leader in the community) said "community centers" would solve this problem...Is this man really that delusional? That may be band aid for the sickness but IT WILL NOT CURE THE DISEASE (disregard for human life)...Any and everyone with cursory knowledge of american life and over the age of 40 understands what the problem is among these children. Read johnston cliff' post and you will have a good idea of the ROOT OF THE PROBLEM...Children having children (behavior subsidized by the federal GIVErnMEnt since around 1965) is the primary source. One more fact that will anger the 80% of hyphenated americans but here goes: did you know that prior to the social tinkering of the 60's black families were LESS LIKELY BY FAR to be involved in crime, had closer knit CHRISTIAN LIVING AND ACTING families & were model Americans even despite the deck being stacked against them at the time? Had the socialist in the democratic party let the natural progression of education & economic development in a FREE CAPITALIST society take its course for the ever increasing percentages of black american population we would not be observing this phenomenon NOW 40 YEARS IN THE MAKING.. The federal government ran the black father out of the home 40 years ago (and he is still for the MOST PART MIA) & has been telling the black community ever since how they needed "special help" because they could not achieve on their own...We all know what a lie that is. What amazes me is how 85% still continue to vote with the socialist democrats when that party has destroyed such a large number of their lives..Black American families were once were the beacon of Christian faith & principles in the face of adversity. Now far too many are either ignorant of their real Christian "roots" or listening to the blasphemous muslims...Wonder how long this post is going to stay up since it is certainly not politically correct.

luckie
luckie 02/28/10 - 08:52 pm
countyman and anyone else. I

countyman and anyone else. I agree pepperidge is a very nice area. Lived there, been there, loved my own, burglarized, gone, don't miss it a bit. Juveniles committing crimes and authorities could care less. To the girl in the r&r, if you are a mother of 6, I bet you are a section 8 mom, too. Don't mean to sound harsh but the facts and statistics prove it. Also, if pepperidge is a distinguished neighborhood then why is all the families on free lunch. Go figure. Random checks and lies.