Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Augusta Sears TV scam suspect identified

Investigators have identified a man wanted for tricking people into giving him cash to buy TVs at Sears at the Augusta Mall.

Emanuel Bing  Special
Special
Emanuel Bing

Emanuel Randolph Bing, 36, is wanted for several counts of felony theft by taking and theft by shoplifting, Richmond County Sheriff's Investigator Aaron Hannsz said in a news release.

Investigators received numerous calls from the public after video of Bing inside the Sears store was distributed to the local media, he said. Also know by his nickname "Man," Bing is believed to have told several people who could buy them expensive TVs at discounted prices from the store.

When the victims gave him the cash for the TVs, he would pretend to purchase it then flee the store. Bing has been seen selling CDs from the back of his vehicle in the parking lots of stores in Richmond, Columbia and McDuffie counties, Hannsz said.

He is also known to frequent hotels along Interstate 20. Anyone with information on Bing can contact the sheriff's office at (706) 821-1080 or (706) 821-1020.

themaninthemirror
themaninthemirror 02/24/10 - 01:28 pm
Sounds like Bing is fixing to

Sounds like Bing is fixing to Bong.

dlabbe
dlabbe 02/24/10 - 01:56 pm
flea it should be flee lol

flea it should be flee lol

Newsreader
Newsreader 02/24/10 - 02:05 pm
Maybe that was Freudian slip,

Maybe that was Freudian slip, and they wanted to say he was a flea.

SCRebel
SCRebel 02/24/10 - 02:10 pm
Being he is a "low down dirty

Being he is a "low down dirty dog" for scamming people, maybe "flea" is actually correct in this case :-)

TrulyWorried
TrulyWorried 02/24/10 - 02:28 pm
Must be well known by police

Must be well known by police - they have such a nice portrait of him.

valleygrad99
valleygrad99 02/24/10 - 02:37 pm
The greedy scam-ees are just

The greedy scam-ees are just as much the blame.

sliique
sliique 02/24/10 - 03:20 pm
"flea it should be flee lol"

"flea it should be flee lol" DITTO to that!!!!! NO wonder our kids ain't learnin' nuttin in skool!!!!

themaninthemirror
themaninthemirror 02/24/10 - 03:21 pm
I am confused. So he actually

I am confused. So he actually did not steal anything from Sears, am I correct in assuming that? He just used the electronics department at Sears as a vehicle of his scam? So where did he approach the scam-ees at? He must be one hell of a salesman if he could pull of a scam like this.

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 02/24/10 - 03:30 pm
Yeah, if I was one of the

Yeah, if I was one of the folks stupid enough to hand over all that cash to this dude, I'm not too sure I'd own up to it to the police! I'd be too embarassed.

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 02/24/10 - 03:30 pm
Yeah, if I was one of the

emergencyfan
emergencyfan 02/24/10 - 03:35 pm
If only he'd chosen to use

If only he'd chosen to use his persuasive superpowers for good *sigh*

tatemanor
tatemanor 02/24/10 - 04:24 pm
This guy gave Sears exactly

This guy gave Sears exactly what they deserved. Sears advertised in January a sale on 32" Panasonic Viera televisions for $359.99. When I called, locally, to check on getting one, I was told that they had none in the store nor in the warehouse and could not tell me if they would have any in the foreseeable future. This was the day that their ad came out. Being a persistent person, I went to their website and called locations around the country and they had none in their stores nor in their warehouses. A price on an adverstised television which sounded too good to be true was actually too good to be true. So if this guy ripped Sears off on some televisions - I say, what goes around, comes around. I usually do my shopping in higher class stores than Sears and now I will continue to shop elsewhere. Shame on you, Sears!

butler123
butler123 02/24/10 - 04:51 pm
Wow tatemanor, I guess they

Wow tatemanor, I guess they thought they would get people in the store with the advertisment then try and to convince you to buy something else. Sears have really gone down hill.

emergencyfan
emergencyfan 02/24/10 - 04:59 pm
It's my understanding from

It's my understanding from the original article that Sears was not ripped off. He convinced people (walking around the mall?) he could get them a great deal on a tv, took their cash, walked into Sears, shook a random salesman's hand to make it look legit, then slipped out the back door with their $$$.

eachoneteachone
eachoneteachone 02/24/10 - 06:48 pm
Trash like him is a dime a

Trash like him is a dime a dozen. Buyer beware!

humbleopinion
humbleopinion 02/24/10 - 07:11 pm
I wonder what tatemanor

I wonder what tatemanor considers to be a "higher class store"? I'll be willing to bet that he shops Wal-Mart on a regular basis......

jamesmonty
jamesmonty 02/24/10 - 10:58 pm
These people that got scammed

These people that got scammed are about the same class people that would call the police because someone stoled their drugs.

beda706
beda706 02/25/10 - 03:20 am
U can't blame him for having

U can't blame him for having a way with words.. The idiots that gave up the cash, in a willing and very conciously knowing way should be charged for being stupid.. LMAO @ you clowns that gave up money to a complete stranger.. He is watching the TV u could have.. ha!!!!!!!

crackerjack
crackerjack 02/25/10 - 08:28 pm
People that are always trying

People that are always trying to get something for nothing most often get the latter.

Many black colleges struggling

Although Paine has struggled with its own failures over the past several years, HBCUs across the nation are dealing with some of the same troubles that are threatening their missions and existence.