Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Friends' tiff led to pregnant teen's shooting death

16-year-old Butler High student was defending brother

When a "play fight" between Tykiah Palmer's younger brother and another 15-year-old boy escalated Wednesday, the big sister stepped in to defend her sibling, an act that led to the girl's fatal shooting, relatives and Richmond County authorities said.

Back | Next
Mae Palmer (left) talks with her minister Robert Brown from Beulah Grove Baptist Church Thursday at her Augusta home. Palmer's granddaughter, Tykiah, 16, was killed from a gunshot wound to the chest.  Corey Perrine/Staff
Corey Perrine/Staff

After an exchange of words, Tykiah slapped Loviet Nushawn Edwards, prompting him to draw a gun and shoot her in the chest, witnesses told investigators.

About 28 weeks pregnant, Tykiah, 16, was rushed to Medical College of Georgia, where she was pronounced dead at 7:15 p.m. Wednesday. Doctors performed an emergency caesarian in an attempt to save her baby girl, but she was also pronounced dead about 30 minutes later.

Edwards, who turned himself in to authorities Wednesday, is facing two counts of murder and one count of possession of a firearm during commission of a crime. Police said they had not found the gun late Thursday.

The incident in the 2100 block of Ramblewood Drive was the second fatal shooting in the Pepperidge subdivision in a month. In both cases, students from Butler High School were the victims. Grief counselors were available at the school Thursday to meet with students, said Louis Svehla, Richmond County Schools spokesman.

Last month Brandon Desean Taylor, a 16-year-old Butler High School student, was shot and killed on Monte Carlo Drive, in an incident authorities think was gang-related.

Investigators do not think Tykiah's shooting was connected to that case or gang-related, Sgt. Ken Rogers said.

"This is a dumb thing that happened," he said.

The shooting seems to have happened in the blink of an eye, said Tykiah's grandmother, Mae Palmer.

Her granddaughter had known Edwards for at least six or seven years, she estimated, adding that her grandson and Edwards seemed to be good friends.

Palmer said Tykiah's instinct of protecting her brother was part of her nature.

"She was always overprotective of (her brother)," Palmer said. "She always thought she had to take care of him."

Tykiah had a big heart and wanted to be a pharmacist, her grandmother said. She said Tykiah was committed to raising her child and was still in a relationship with the baby's father at the time of the shooting.

"Everybody loved her. She was real lovable," Palmer said.

Tykiah made A's and B's in school, and though she struggled some at the beginning of her freshman year at Butler, her grades rebounded this year because of her determination, her grandmother said.

Edwards was a student last year at Butler but had been remanded to the school district's alternative school this year, Svehla said.

Richmond County sheriff's Lt. Scott Peebles said he could not comment on whether Edwards had a juvenile record. Those records are sealed.

Before this year, the last homicide in Pepperidge subdivision was in July 2006 on the 2200 block of Ramblewood Drive, according to the sheriff's office's records.

avidreader
avidreader 02/19/10 - 06:45 am
I deplore stereotyping;

I deplore stereotyping; however, I must say . . . On second thought, I won't say it. My thoughts are too easy to guess.

ZenoElia
ZenoElia 02/19/10 - 07:31 am
Sad that two lives are gone

Sad that two lives are gone now because someone was again, "playing" with a loaded weapon...which they can't find...after the kid turns himself in...no surprise. My heart goes out to the families affected. I hope the gun did not belong to anyone related to the kid. That would be a double shame.

johnston.cliff
johnston.cliff 02/19/10 - 07:43 am
Zeno, I think you miss the

Zeno, I think you miss the entire point. It's not the gun that did the killing. It was the total lack of respect for human life that is part of the young boy's culture. It could just as easily have been a knife, club or towel, loaded weapons all.

airbud7
airbud7 02/19/10 - 08:19 am
Does every kid in Pepperidge

Does every kid in Pepperidge subdivision tote a loaded gun???

glassrinkmaker
glassrinkmaker 02/19/10 - 08:30 am
What do you expect? It is

What do you expect? It is the same thing Edwards has seen every day of his life. No respect for himself, society, or authority. It's the entitlement culture--it is, what it is!

Citizen_B
Citizen_B 02/19/10 - 08:34 am
All these young thugs and

All these young thugs and gangstas toting guns...cowardly wimps - when I was a teenager, a guy could take a slap in the face, maybe let a fistfight solve the argument over a girl...but today, these young punks that like to say they're living the "romanticized by rap to be dangerous" thug life are too wimpy and afraid they might get hurt that they can't even fight their own battles anymore...they have to have a gun - like a child that's learned a new phrase, they think it's the answer for everything. Hopefully two good things will come of this...without his gun in jail, this little punk will get to find out how tough he really is (or isn't) and that the same ultimate punishment he chose to dole out will be in turn visited upon him.

onlynaugusta
onlynaugusta 02/19/10 - 08:38 am
This is the most craziest and

This is the most craziest and saddest story I've ever read. Why would someone shoot a pregnant young lady over something this simple? Well....I guess he'll have a long time to answer this question while getting shot up the behind in prison!!

deekster
deekster 02/19/10 - 08:49 am
This is a tragedy made worse

This is a tragedy made worse by "continuing to lie about the cause". The TRUTH is hard to bear. Personal responsibility is a burden but necessary for a civilized society. Respect for human life begins at home, is supported by church, school and a society at large. Now we will excuse this crime as an accident. Accidents are defined by Webster as events that cannot predicted. Injury and death can be predicted. And the beat goes on.............

AWyld1
AWyld1 02/19/10 - 08:50 am
Young people just do not

Young people just do not value life anymore...it is sad. More of the entitlement mentality. I wonder where all these young people get guns to carry around. I know some good people that live in Pepperidge. I think with all that has happened there in the last month a police presence may be warranted.

disssman
disssman 02/19/10 - 09:12 am
Onlynaugusta what makes you

Onlynaugusta what makes you think the boy is going to spend time in prison? Didn't you read between the lines in Lt. Peoples statement "he is a juvenile" who must be protected from the mean old society by a juvenile judge. Even if he is tried in an adult court, what makes you think the black community will punish him for this? Have you forgotten the O.J. trial and the rush to find any excuse for acquital? What is doubly scarry is finding out that they are allowing 24 week pregnant girls attend Butler, which is a cess pool of thugs (male and female). I if the school system is really capable of protecting a prospective child mama there. I was glad to see that the babys daddy was still in the girls life although she wasn't smart enough to insist on a marriage commitment from the bum.

TheDeerhunter
TheDeerhunter 02/19/10 - 10:05 am
dissman, what a dumb

dissman, what a dumb generalization in reference to oj and the black community.

anotherlook
anotherlook 02/19/10 - 10:44 am
Dissman, I must say that I

Dissman, I must say that I take exception with your view that the "Black community" will not allow this young person to deal with the consequences that this crime has merited under the law. There appears to be a view that is both persistant and pervasive i.e. the view that the Black community is monolithic in its mores, values, and political views. This is a gross generalization. Just as with the Asian community, Hispanic community, and White community, as well as others, there is more variation within the groups than between the groups. Just because you make an assumption from what you may have heard over the years from the more vocal members of a particular group, doesn't mean that the assumption is a valid one. There are other voices that harbor different opinions and perspectives about particular incidences of crime. There are those opinions and perspectives that exist along a continuum from ultra-conservative to extremely progressive or liberal. You just may not have heard those opinions. What we can say (with some degree of certainty) is that the escalation of violence in the Black community has been a cause of great loss and grief...for us all and we should all be aspiring to help in whatever ways that we can.

MJDW
MJDW 02/19/10 - 10:20 am
dissman, marriage would cut

dissman, marriage would cut off the free check! Where did the 15 year old get a gun? (gang member) The gun will be in the hands of another loser's hand by now. How can socity expect kids to do the right thing when they are taught it's all about me, by a repeated generation of it's all about me!

haywerth
haywerth 02/19/10 - 10:32 am
This is the craziest story

This is the craziest story I've read about in a long time. I grieve for the loss of young Tykiah. But some of these young girls really need to stop putting their hands on guys thinking "chivalry" is going to protect them. Let's be clear: Tykiah did NOT deserve to be killed for slapping the guy. But let's be real; slap enough guys and sooner or later you will run into degenerates like this Edwards guy.

And just what the heck is "play fighting" anyway? I don't get it.

Antwan_478
Antwan_478 02/19/10 - 10:41 am
Dissman, The marriage thing

Dissman,
The marriage thing is a bit much for a child of such age don't you think?? Children already are enough to deal with now a days, and think you should check out the marital requirments! The girl was still a child and how can you called the father a "bum"-total disrespect!

seven
seven 02/19/10 - 11:17 am
Disssman and MJDW, wow...the

Disssman and MJDW, wow...the stereotyping. People like you help contribute to the hatred in the world. Your sight is so limited, and your thoughts so shallow...but until you walk in the shoes of the mothers and children, you will NEVER know. And I refuse to further amuse you with my comments because your ignorance appears to run deep. I grew up in a single parent home. My mom worked two jobs to ensure a better future for myself. We were never on welfare or given any other type of assistance. My mom worked hard...and I am a better person today because of her diligence and faith in God. I graduated top of my class in high school and college. I am now a physician...and completed training at the country's no. 1 medical institute. I do strongly believe that what we are taught is first learned at home, in the church...and we just have to pray that each child use what is learned and apply it to situations we are faced with daily. We can teach...we can pray...but, at the end of the day, your child will make the decision. This situation btwn the children, and situations alike, really saddens me. As a black community, I think we all really need to UNITE...UNITY. We need a solid foundation with God and together as a people...so that we can learn to love ourselves and others like we use to. Look how many heroes in history constantly put their lives at risk for other blacks...Harriet Tubman and other conductors of the Underground Railroad, including the Quakers...Martin Luther King, Jr., Rosa Parks, etc..what would they be thinking right now? Come on Augusta, we need to come together. We need to meet, unite, grow, love, and stand firm together. We need sisterhood and brotherhood. Sunday should not be a day of separation into individual houses of praise and worship...lets come together, even if its once a month. Lets reach out to the community, draw them into God...because He is love.

corgimom
corgimom 02/19/10 - 12:36 pm
Seven, you know how Augusta

Seven, you know how Augusta really needs to come together? As a community, we need to say "Stop having babies at 16. Stop being in a gang. A gang will either get you death or prison. No teenager should be in possession of a gun, it will get you into big trouble." The white community in Augusta is united in this, so you tell me. Why isn't the black community united in this too? Don't give me junk about the Underground Railroad, Rosa Parks, and Martin Luther King. This isn't about civil rights. It's about morals, behavior, quality of life, moral responsibilities to family members and the community.

corgimom
corgimom 02/19/10 - 12:41 pm
Diss was being very

Diss was being very respectful to the deceased. Yes, the babydaddy is a bum.

corgimom
corgimom 02/19/10 - 12:43 pm
And I was told, back in 1991,

And I was told, back in 1991, that Pepperidge was major bad news and to stay out it, if I was by myself.

hopefulinaugusta
hopefulinaugusta 02/19/10 - 12:59 pm
seven, as a member of the

seven, as a member of the black community and the community as a whole, I thank you for your contribution. It is unbelieveable to me the people that never really have anything positive to contribute on their own, they wait until someone voices an opinion or step in a solution to the problem we are facing and they pounce on it like an internet thug. The black community is united in the stated ideas and the fact that you have revealed previously that you are a former educator it scares the hell out of me that you would refer to the affore mentioned people and events in black history as junk.

MJDW
MJDW 02/19/10 - 01:06 pm
seven, You played the

seven, You played the stereotypeing card. I wuould have said the samething if it would have been a White 16 year old girl. Your Mother came from people who were taught to be proud and honorable. Yes your are right about coming together,(Black, White and any other race) so teaching can be done for young kids and teens to learn to be proud again. But not with all of the free handouts going around today! Thanks to our Federal Gov.

hopefulinaugusta
hopefulinaugusta 02/19/10 - 01:22 pm
and why is the father of the

and why is the father of the baby being called a bum?????

corgimom
corgimom 02/19/10 - 01:27 pm
Hopeful, no, they aren't.

Hopeful, no, they aren't. Take a long look at the black illegitimacy rates in Augusta. Hopeful, your last post illustrates perfectly the huge disconnect.

rainingoranges
rainingoranges 02/19/10 - 02:06 pm
Wow. I'm impressed with the

Wow. I'm impressed with the amount of disrespect that people are throwing towards the victim in the comments here. Perhaps you should think twice before using a murder victim as a platform to talk about "entitlement culture" and the "problems" you personally see with black people in Augusta. This really is an inappropriate context for that discussion, seeing as there is no mention of welfare, etc in this article. Also, if you think that violence and disillusionment among young people, along with a disregard for the way YOU have been raised, is a characteristic only of young African Americans in the Augusta area, you are quite mistaken. Reevaluate your own prejudices and their applicability to the real world before you come and pass judgment on a woman who just had her life needlessly ripped away.

SpecialK
SpecialK 02/19/10 - 05:16 pm
Well said raininqoranqes. I

Well said raininqoranqes. I agree. Stop finding any reason to bring your ignorance and bigotry in the conversation. Race is not the problem here because crime here in Augusta is all colors and genders. The crime and violence with all of these young people have gotten out of hand! It takes a community to raise and teach all of these young people. They only know the easy way out these day.

Knightryder
Knightryder 02/19/10 - 05:53 pm
Well, 2 counts of murder

Well, 2 counts of murder should be enough to get a needle stuck in his arm. I will be more than willing to be one to do it and to start the flow of drugs that will end his worthless life. He is nothing more than a lowly piece of dirt that should be killed.

devgru1
devgru1 02/19/10 - 06:03 pm
Disssman, I'll make a

Disssman, I'll make a prediction. He will be found guilty. The Judge will then pass sentence as required by law. He will be turned over to YDC until he reaches 17 and then he will be sent to DOC to serve the remainder of his sentence. He probably will be released eventually on parole because of his young age at the time of the crime. This is not malice murder, but falls more under the manslaughter statute, because he did not leave the scene and return with the weapon. The charge will probably be reduced to manslaughter.

corgimom
corgimom 02/19/10 - 06:52 pm
Legally, a 15 year old cannot

Legally, a 15 year old cannot be executed.

corgimom
corgimom 02/19/10 - 08:42 pm
I stated that because the

I stated that because the Underground Railroad, the Civil Rights movement and Rosa Parks has nothing to do with this. Yes, it is junk. Rosa Parks was not about murdering people. The Underground Railroad had nothing to do with gang behavior. Martin Luther King Jr was not about teenagers having children or teenagers having guns and choosing to solve minor problems with murder, and the culture that has produced that. That's the problem. This isn't about civil rights or discrimination or freedom from slavery. It's about crime. It's about violence. It's about personal choices. It is about culture. It is wrong to bring civil rights into this, this has nothing to do with that.

countyman
20720
countyman 02/19/10 - 08:58 pm
You can't make this stuff up.

You can't make this stuff up. When the white dude robbed the bank on washington rd. I didn't hear anything about ''white community''. When the redneck from North Augusta stabbed three people at Wild Wings. I didn't hear any ''white commmunity'' either. I definitely didn't hear welfare, entitlement crowd, or the usual comments from the bigots and racist on here.

Pepperidge is a community who has alot of military families. There is nobody in poverty living there. So alot of these ''ignorant'' comments are based on race. And don't give me the crap about you're not racist. If you wasn't you would have never posted these stupid comments.

Grad rates show improvement by local school systems

Graduation rates in both Richmond and Columbia counties followed the statewide trend of slow and steady increases in 2014, although progress in individual schools varied greatly.