Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Suspect in custody in fatal teen shooting

Suspect Loviet Nushawn Edwards turned himself in at the Law Enforcement Center in the case of a fatal shooting that took place about 6 p.m. in the 2100 block of Ramblewood Drive.

15-year-old Loviet Nushawn Edwards  Special
Special
15-year-old Loviet Nushawn Edwards

According to Richmond County Chief Deputy Coroner Mark Bowen, 16-year-old Tykiah Palmer, of the 2100 block of Trotters Way, was pronounced dead at 7:15 p.m. Wednesday. The fatal shooting occurred at about 6 p.m. Wednesday on the 2100 block of Ramblewood Drive. Palmer had been shot one time in the chest, Bowen said.

Palmer, who was between six and seven months pregnant, was taken to the Medical College of Georgia in critical condition and died in the operating room, Bowen said. Doctors performed an emergency caesarian and were able to save her baby for a short time, but the baby was later pronounced dead at 7:47 p.m.

The bodies of both Palmer and her baby will be sent to the Georgia Bureau of Investigation Crime Lab in Augusta for an autopsy on Thursday, Bowen said.

Authorities were looking for 15-year-old Loviet Nushawn Edwards in connection with the fatal shooting, according to Richmond County sheriff's Lt. Scott Peebles. Edwards turned himself in to authorities at the Law Enforcement Center late Wednesday night.

Investigators have learned that Edwards and the victim had been involved in a verbal altercation in the road near the front of Edwards' home. Edwards pulled out a handgun and fired multiple shots at the victim, striking her at least once.

The shooting is still under investigation. Investigators do not believe that Edwards and the victim have ever been in a romantic relationship together. There is no indication that the shooting was gang-related, Peebles said.

Edwards will be charged as an adult with two counts of Murder and one count of Possession of a Firearm During the Commission of a Crime, Peebles said.

Anyone with information on the case is asked to contact the Richmond County Sheriff's Office at (706) 821-1080.

CobaltGeorge
207462
CobaltGeorge 02/18/10 - 03:29 pm
Yea, I'm just an old fuddy

Yea, I'm just an old fuddy dutty that don't know anything, going back to cut some border grass.

happychimer
happychimer 02/18/10 - 03:29 pm
Cobalt I am sorry about your

Cobalt I am sorry about your son. I can't say I know how you feel, because I have not lost a child.

CobaltGeorge
207462
CobaltGeorge 02/18/10 - 03:33 pm
Thanks happychimer, you just

Thanks happychimer, you just live with it everyday! Every Birthday, Every Death day, Every Christmas, Every time you see something that was part of his life.

CobaltGeorge
207462
CobaltGeorge 02/18/10 - 03:35 pm
My heart hurts everytime I

My heart hurts everytime I see someone being killed like this poor 16 year old and baby. Everyday, Everyday, So Sad!

CobaltGeorge
207462
CobaltGeorge 02/18/10 - 03:36 pm
Border

Border Grass..................

na_bboy
na_bboy 02/18/10 - 04:52 pm
Nah Cobalt I don't want to

Nah Cobalt I don't want to outlaw guns, not at all, I think we both agree everyone doesn't choose to do the right thing, sorry for your lost.

lifelongresidient
lifelongresidient 02/18/10 - 05:48 pm
cobalt, i hope your son has

cobalt, i hope your son has made a recovery.......sorry to hear about what happen to your son

devgru1
devgru1 02/18/10 - 06:08 pm
Never saw your posts

Never saw your posts glassrinkmaker. No I didn't earn it, but I have one friend who is currently serving in Airborne, another who is a Ranger and one who was killed in 2007 while in the Navy. It shows my respect for the SEALS and others who serve.

glassrinkmaker
glassrinkmaker 02/18/10 - 06:31 pm
His pre murder picture speaks

His pre murder picture speaks a zillion words!

glassrinkmaker
glassrinkmaker 02/18/10 - 06:32 pm
Dev---noting wrong with

Dev---noting wrong with honoring the ones who serve!!! I was going to thank you for your service if you had served!

corgimom
corgimom 02/18/10 - 06:35 pm
KSL, where do you get your 3%

KSL, where do you get your 3% illegitimacy figures? Because all the figures that I saw show much higher rates.

baronvonreich
baronvonreich 02/18/10 - 06:35 pm
It isn't the guns or the gun

It isn't the guns or the gun laws. It is the people and the government enabling via welfare and the government protection via lax punishment for crime. It is well past time for capital punishment for convicted violent felons and repeat non-violent felons to clean up America from the parasites.

glassrinkmaker
glassrinkmaker 02/18/10 - 06:39 pm
reich, CHECK, STEEL IN

reich, CHECK, STEEL IN BULLSEYE!

CobaltGeorge
207462
CobaltGeorge 02/18/10 - 07:00 pm
na_bboy, lifelongresidient

na_bboy, lifelongresidient both a thanks, Died instantly and shoved into the trunk of his car along with two of his close friends who where shot in the head while sitting in his car. I will not go any further because it would disclose who I am.

fontana
fontana 02/18/10 - 07:10 pm
Rumor on the streets: May

Rumor on the streets: May have been something to do with Gang initiation.

happychimer
happychimer 02/18/10 - 07:49 pm
Cobalt that is awful. It is

Cobalt that is awful. It is terrible what happened to your son.I know that you suffer everyday.

CobaltGeorge
207462
CobaltGeorge 02/18/10 - 08:02 pm
Yes happy, myself, wife and 4

Yes happy, myself, wife and 4 son's show it in someway daily. Thanks and remember I will agree to disagree with you on occasions. :>)

dbrown23
dbrown23 02/18/10 - 08:38 pm
Let me clarify some things. I

Let me clarify some things. I know Edwards. I'm out of the area in college, and just recieved the news on the phone. My best friend and I would pick him and other area kids up to play basketball sometimes. This kid has been picked on and bullied. He was not a violent thug or whatever you may have depicted him to be. This is truly a sad situation for both parties involved.

However, I am anger and hurt. I feel as though I ,and we (meaning Augusta) have failed him. We have made recreational or learning activites inaccesible for kids in Augusta. Unless you have money or are from a certain demographic of the area, resources are limited. The gyms aren't open, and closed some of them. Police will not allow a peace assembly to occur outside after 9pm. Something simple as a basketball game will get denied,so where is the safe haven? Where do they go to release?
Augusta officials have neglected this problem and others (education and commerce)severely, like putting a band-aid on a bullet wound. Living is hard for anyone, especially kids. So keeping call for preaches, pastors,fathers.... I've always heard the calls/cries and answered, have you?

bettyboop
bettyboop 02/18/10 - 08:46 pm
colbalt....my heart goes out

colbalt....my heart goes out to you.... to outlive a child is a terrible thing...but to lose a child to insane violence is heartbreaking beyond belief..especially if you have raised that child in the way that you believe is righteous.......somehow I do not think that is the case here. And If the parents of this child who commited this horrible crime can dispute me I will of course offer a retraction....but I truly do not believe that will happen.

glassrinkmaker
glassrinkmaker 02/18/10 - 08:48 pm
DBRON, what a crock!

DBRON, what a crock!

bclicious
bclicious 02/18/10 - 09:35 pm
Hey DBRON, I get it! It

Hey DBRON, I get it! It takes an entire village to raise a child. Yes, society is responsible for the current state of our youth. With that, Edwards has committed one of the seven deadly sins; therefore, the only way to put this issue to rest is to put him to rest. As unfortunate as it is, this is the cold hard truth. The only way the girl's family will heal will be for this young man to die, and then the situation will be resolved. If he receives life in prison, or some other variety of sentencing, this case will never be closed.

bclicious
bclicious 02/18/10 - 09:35 pm
Edwards is no longer an

Edwards is no longer an acceptable part of our society in America.

KSL
KSL 02/18/10 - 09:40 pm
Corgi, I got it from some

Corgi, I got it from some information emailed to me. But I will tell you that it squares up with experiencing the times. And it squares up with my casework at the time. Whether is was 3 or 5 or 10, it was certainly less that the horror we have going on now.

KSL
KSL 02/18/10 - 09:44 pm
My children are raised. But I

My children are raised. But I don't want the community raising my children unless I approve of the community.

llunsford639
llunsford639 02/18/10 - 10:00 pm
I have been away from augusta

I have been away from augusta for over 20 years . My wife and I have been wanting to move back since we have retired, but the more we read in Augusta paper , we're no longer sure and that's ashame. It used to be ok as we remember It's sad to worry about moving back home!!

fontana
fontana 02/18/10 - 11:03 pm
"I have been away from

"I have been away from augusta for over 20 years . My wife and I have been wanting to move back since we have retired, but the more we read in Augusta paper , we're no longer sure......"

You might be shocked, unless you currently live in Detroit, or south LA. Not that bad, YET.

dominionfs
dominionfs 02/18/10 - 11:30 pm
A young man was walking along

A young man was walking along the road towards a town he had never been to before. Along the way he met an old man sitting by the roadside and asked "What are the people like in this town?" The old man asked "What were the people like where you came from?" The young man replied "They were unfriendly, hateful and argumentative." Said the old man " You will find them the same here."
An hour later another young man came along and asked the old man the same question, "What are the people like in this town?" Again, the old man asked " What were the people like where you came from?" The young man relied, " They were cheerful, friendly and happy." Smiling, the old man said "Then you will find them the same here."

corgimom
corgimom 02/19/10 - 09:57 am
dbrown, I grew up in a very

dbrown, I grew up in a very small town. When we moved there, there wasn't even a stop light. There was nothing to do. But nobody shot anybody. The BS about "we failed him"- no, his parents failed him. We didn't have a rec center. We didn't have gyms. There weren't assemblies after 9p, we were HOME, inside the house, with our parents. We had 2 channels of tv. And we "released" just fine. All we had were school activities, Girl Scouts, Boy Scouts. And we did just fine.

jamesaaronsnow
jamesaaronsnow 02/22/10 - 11:50 am
Brad Owens-Just so you know,

Brad Owens-Just so you know, he's in YDC. Trying to touch base with the staff there today.

Fort Gordon Warrior Transition Battalion closing

Fort Gordon's Warrior Transition Battalion, the second-largest in the Army, is one of 10 military medical units nationwide that will be closed by August 2016, as the number of sick and injured ...