Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Suspect in custody in fatal teen shooting

Suspect Loviet Nushawn Edwards turned himself in at the Law Enforcement Center in the case of a fatal shooting that took place about 6 p.m. in the 2100 block of Ramblewood Drive.

15-year-old Loviet Nushawn Edwards  Special
Special
15-year-old Loviet Nushawn Edwards

According to Richmond County Chief Deputy Coroner Mark Bowen, 16-year-old Tykiah Palmer, of the 2100 block of Trotters Way, was pronounced dead at 7:15 p.m. Wednesday. The fatal shooting occurred at about 6 p.m. Wednesday on the 2100 block of Ramblewood Drive. Palmer had been shot one time in the chest, Bowen said.

Palmer, who was between six and seven months pregnant, was taken to the Medical College of Georgia in critical condition and died in the operating room, Bowen said. Doctors performed an emergency caesarian and were able to save her baby for a short time, but the baby was later pronounced dead at 7:47 p.m.

The bodies of both Palmer and her baby will be sent to the Georgia Bureau of Investigation Crime Lab in Augusta for an autopsy on Thursday, Bowen said.

Authorities were looking for 15-year-old Loviet Nushawn Edwards in connection with the fatal shooting, according to Richmond County sheriff's Lt. Scott Peebles. Edwards turned himself in to authorities at the Law Enforcement Center late Wednesday night.

Investigators have learned that Edwards and the victim had been involved in a verbal altercation in the road near the front of Edwards' home. Edwards pulled out a handgun and fired multiple shots at the victim, striking her at least once.

The shooting is still under investigation. Investigators do not believe that Edwards and the victim have ever been in a romantic relationship together. There is no indication that the shooting was gang-related, Peebles said.

Edwards will be charged as an adult with two counts of Murder and one count of Possession of a Firearm During the Commission of a Crime, Peebles said.

Anyone with information on the case is asked to contact the Richmond County Sheriff's Office at (706) 821-1080.

ispy4u
ispy4u 02/18/10 - 09:28 am
I am still amazed that people

I am still amazed that people will find a way to bring race into every situation. This has nothing to do about race and I do not know enough about his home life to blame his parents. I doubt that the Professor in Alabama family thought that they were raising a murderer, nor is any one questioning her parents fitness. Playing the old " Section 8, Entitlement song" will not solve this problem. Adjusting our Juvenile Courts and the punishment it delivers will go a long ways towards dealing with these type situation. It takes a murder to even get those who have proven their disrespect for the majority of society, a day in a secured facility.

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 02/18/10 - 09:43 am
james, this 'young man' can

james, this 'young man' can be contacted at The Law Enforcement Center, 401 Walton Way, in Downtown Augusta Georgia for quite some time. By the way, which 'non-profit' group are you 'working' with?

butler123
butler123 02/18/10 - 09:48 am
Easy to know where the guns

Easy to know where the guns are coming from. They are coming from law abiding citizens that are being robbed. Either the government is going to have to get rid of guns or we are going to have to be a lot tougher on these little thugs. Take your pick, I kind of like my right to bare arms personally.

ispy4u
ispy4u 02/18/10 - 09:51 am
"Reaching out to him"? How

"Reaching out to him"? How about reaching out to his Victims family? They are the ones in need.

themaninthemirror
themaninthemirror 02/18/10 - 09:53 am
What is so sad, is that he

What is so sad, is that he will be back out on the streets in six years.

ispy4u
ispy4u 02/18/10 - 09:55 am
I doubt it. He will more than

I doubt it. He will more than likely be charged as an adult. As he should be.

bankgirl
bankgirl 02/18/10 - 09:59 am
I was on my way home

I was on my way home lastnight when I saw the RC: CSI truck pull into Pepperridge and I just knew someone else had been shot.

hopefulinaugusta
hopefulinaugusta 02/18/10 - 09:59 am
I have a son that is

I have a son that is incarcerated, he committed a crime that shocked my whole family. The story hit the augusta chronicle and along with the hurt and embarrassment that we were dealing with, the attack on my family was inexcusable. No one in my family has ever been on public assistance, lived in the projects, section8 or anything similar to. He was raised right, he did something stupid out of what he percieved to be a desperate situation which is what young people do. We did not uphold him in his wrong, we made him plead guilty and take his punishment. JUst because a young person goes off the path does not neccessarily mean that they come from a bad family, or from a family filled with criminal element. Each and everytime a story about a young black man commiting a crime appears in the paper I relive the feelings that we went through when I read the comments.

hopefulinaugusta
hopefulinaugusta 02/18/10 - 10:05 am
Some of you have even gone as

Some of you have even gone as far as to attack the young ladies family because she was pregnant. They have just lost a child and a grandchild. In the blink of an eye their lives have changed and will never be the same. And to the poster that believes that all of these guns are coming from breakins, you are mistaken.

InChristLove
InChristLove 02/18/10 - 10:16 am

Thank you for your honest comments hopefulinaugusta. So much hate on this forum today. I will agree that this is a terrible and sad situation but this is a 15 year old boy, someone's son. This girl was a 16 year old female almost to term with a wonderful child ready to be born. You can call this boy all the hateful names, wish him to fry to a crisp, and say he's not worth it.....but my God says he is. Yes we must face consequences when we do something wrong and hopefully this child will survive what's in store for him but with the right mentoring and discipline this young man can come out of this a better person. God can make good out of evil. I pray for this young girl's family and only God can give them comfort during this terrible time, hate and revenge will do no good...it will only eat you up inside. Until our Christian leaders and churches take a mighty stand for God Almighty without fear of persecution and ridicule, start reaching out to these children who have no parents or parents who don't care, and start showing them a better way of life, this horrible cycle of delinquent criminal conduct will continue.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 02/18/10 - 10:18 am
ispy4uThursday, Feb. 18 8:51

ispy4uThursday, Feb. 18 8:51 AM, I applaud you for make the best post of 134 post made on this issue.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 02/18/10 - 10:24 am
VVVC on my avitar means

VVVC on my avitar means "Voices for Victims of Violent Crimes"

na_bboy
na_bboy 02/18/10 - 10:26 am
Georgia really needs stiffer

Georgia really needs stiffer gun laws, it appears to be working in New York. Anyone who kills someone should be treated like an adult, I have no remorse for him, Augusta Chronicle should've posted the girls picture as well, condolences to the her family. If you've ever come across the jail time report paper you would know that crime isn't a race issue, nor just a Richmond County issue, denial breeds ignorance.

cakewalk30904
cakewalk30904 02/18/10 - 10:39 am
Geography makes no

Geography makes no difference. These thugs could move into Westlake and make it a slum.

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 02/18/10 - 10:39 am
na bboy, yeah, its the gun's

na bboy, yeah, its the gun's fault. That is the problem here, the gun.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 02/18/10 - 10:45 am
I will no longer debate with

I will no longer debate with humans that think that guns KILL! A mind that does not accept the true FACT.

fontana
fontana 02/18/10 - 10:44 am
I fled Augusta almost 20yrs

I fled Augusta almost 20yrs ago. When I read articles like this it helps me to understand how Detroit got the way it is. My question is, how long will Columbia County be able to keep the trash out?

grinder48
1957
grinder48 02/18/10 - 10:45 am
give 'em all frappin' guns n'

give 'em all frappin' guns n' let 'em rid us of these vermin

TheVolunteer
TheVolunteer 02/18/10 - 10:46 am
Juveniles who commit murder

Juveniles who commit murder are almost always charged as an adult initially. It's what the judges and attorneys do with it afterwards, dropped to a lesser court, plea bargaining etc. and the attitude of the jury which makes all the difference. I can see an insanity defense being formulated already!!

Hey DevGru, What was yr BUDS class #?
TNT Thank You for your service.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 02/18/10 - 10:46 am
It may come to Columbia

It may come to Columbia County but I can assure you it won't stay long.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 02/18/10 - 10:53 am
TNT, let not forget the

TNT, let not forget the exceeded budget that is spent on the famlies of the Victims, Not. The second a victims draws its last breath, the family and victim are they no longer are part of the crime or the judical system.

fontana
fontana 02/18/10 - 10:58 am
I read the lame excuses here.

I read the lame excuses here. The bottom line is IT'S THE PARENTS fault. Not the schools, not the government....Parents! If the parents are so caring, blah blah blah, then why did this even happen. The church won't or can't do much, only the parents, someone with a direct link, such as the parent(s), can fix this near unfixable mess. Welfare also plays a big role in this mess. If everyone worked, or went to school, they wouldn't have as much time to "busta cap"! What a JOKE!

hopefulinaugusta
hopefulinaugusta 02/18/10 - 10:59 am
Cobalt, I don't believe

Cobalt, I don't believe anyone is taking the responsibility completely out of the shooters hands by discussing the problem that we have with guns. Guns do not kill people by themselves, that is a given. And I believe in the right to responsibly own a gun. That is not the issue. You and I go through a legal process to obtain the guns that we own. If I defend my family or home from an intruder with my weapon, I don't thing that there will be an outrage in the community. The question is how are these young people getting their hands on all of these guns and what needs to be done to stop this trend.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 02/18/10 - 11:09 am
My son was shot through the

My son was shot through the heart with a gun. That gun did not kill him. It was the 16 year old drug dealer who was given the gun from his father to protect him while dealing. I know, the first thing that will come to mind and a comment made will be, why was you son near a drug dealer. I will leave it at that...........much more to the incident which I will not elaborate on.

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 02/18/10 - 11:11 am
It's the guns fault, can't

It's the guns fault, can't you all see that? I mean this kid was not a bad seed or someone who was heading to prison on the fast track, he is simply a victim of America's sick addiction to the Bill of Rights, the 2nd Amendment in particular. Crime would cease to happen if we just banned guns. It is all the gun's fault.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 02/18/10 - 11:13 am
"The question is how are

"The question is how are these young people getting their hands on all of these guns and what needs to be done to stop this trend." There will always be friends that they associate with that have access to guns and those have friends who have friends and..............................

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 02/18/10 - 11:17 am
Remember those friends that

Remember those friends that have guns, somewhere along the line was a gun that was in the procession of one that own it legally.

abouttime
abouttime 02/18/10 - 11:19 am
Our Father, who art in

Our Father, who art in heaven,
hallowed be thy name.
Thy Kingdom come,
thy will be done,
on earth as it is in heaven
Give us this day our daily bread.
And forgive us our trespasses,
as we forgive those who trespass against us.
And lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from evil.
For thine is the kingdom,
the power and the glory,
for ever and ever.
Amen

Ayetidiosi
Ayetidiosi 02/18/10 - 11:30 am
My sympathies to the family

My sympathies to the family of the victims.

Washington (CNN) -- Nearly 180 Department of Homeland Security weapons were lost -- some falling into the hands of criminals -- after officers left them in restrooms, vehicles and other public places, according to an inspector general report.

The officers, with Customs and Border Patrol and Immigration and Customs Enforcement, "did not always sufficiently safeguard their firearms and, as a result, lost a significant number of firearms" between fiscal year 2006 and fiscal year 2008, the report said.

In all, 243 firearms were lost in both agencies during that period, according to the January report from Inspector General Richard Skinner. Of those, 36 were lost because of circumstances beyond officers' control -- for instance, ICE lost a firearm during an assault on an officer. Another 28 were lost even though officers had stored them in lockboxes or safes.

But 74 percent, or 179 guns, were lost "because officers did not properly secure them," the report said.

The Gov't clearly cannot control the guns they are responsible for now. I surely don't wish for them to attempt to control privately owned weapons.

pinkdymondiva
pinkdymondiva 02/18/10 - 11:31 am
You know what's really

You know what's really sickening about this blog: All of you who have such negative comments. If the victim had been an adult and live in another neighborhood not in Richmond Co. but in Columbia Co., there would not be such harsh comments. The young lady and her deceased child are VICTIMS of a senseless crime. If some of you got off of your "high pedestal" and reached out to our youth (black, white, yellow, purple, green, or brown) and mentored them, then maybe just maybe some of the violence and nonsense would stop and you would be part of the solution and not the problem. So, unless you are doing something to solve the problem, shut your traps up with the negative comments.