Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Suspect in custody in fatal teen shooting

Suspect Loviet Nushawn Edwards turned himself in at the Law Enforcement Center in the case of a fatal shooting that took place about 6 p.m. in the 2100 block of Ramblewood Drive.

15-year-old Loviet Nushawn Edwards  Special
Special
15-year-old Loviet Nushawn Edwards

According to Richmond County Chief Deputy Coroner Mark Bowen, 16-year-old Tykiah Palmer, of the 2100 block of Trotters Way, was pronounced dead at 7:15 p.m. Wednesday. The fatal shooting occurred at about 6 p.m. Wednesday on the 2100 block of Ramblewood Drive. Palmer had been shot one time in the chest, Bowen said.

Palmer, who was between six and seven months pregnant, was taken to the Medical College of Georgia in critical condition and died in the operating room, Bowen said. Doctors performed an emergency caesarian and were able to save her baby for a short time, but the baby was later pronounced dead at 7:47 p.m.

The bodies of both Palmer and her baby will be sent to the Georgia Bureau of Investigation Crime Lab in Augusta for an autopsy on Thursday, Bowen said.

Authorities were looking for 15-year-old Loviet Nushawn Edwards in connection with the fatal shooting, according to Richmond County sheriff's Lt. Scott Peebles. Edwards turned himself in to authorities at the Law Enforcement Center late Wednesday night.

Investigators have learned that Edwards and the victim had been involved in a verbal altercation in the road near the front of Edwards' home. Edwards pulled out a handgun and fired multiple shots at the victim, striking her at least once.

The shooting is still under investigation. Investigators do not believe that Edwards and the victim have ever been in a romantic relationship together. There is no indication that the shooting was gang-related, Peebles said.

Edwards will be charged as an adult with two counts of Murder and one count of Possession of a Firearm During the Commission of a Crime, Peebles said.

Anyone with information on the case is asked to contact the Richmond County Sheriff's Office at (706) 821-1080.

uprising
uprising 02/17/10 - 10:37 pm
takeastand, thank you for

takeastand, thank you for seeing the point I was attempting to make. @ countyman, what the heck is your point sir
????

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 02/17/10 - 10:45 pm
No uprising, thank you. It is

No uprising, thank you. It is nice to see more people who don't have their eyes completely closed to what is destroying nice cities and neighborhoods across the US. Section 8, public housing, all those gimmie systems. The punks themselves will tell you where this trouble starts, and when they mingle them in with nice neighborhoods. bonus for them, new territory to destroy. Its like a serious infection that spreads, and instead of keeping it contained, the government stupidly promotes the infestation. Its like they can't stand to see citizens live safe and happy. They only care about spending more money for people who do not wish to help themselves at the expense of upstanding hard working citizens, and to top it off, no matter how ungrateful these losers are, tearing up their free stuff, turning their own homes into ghettos, some lousy group thinks they deserve more. Go figure. Maybe if enough people get tired of it the blind will open their eyes....doubt it though. staring them right in the face, they choose not to see it.

asustudent75
asustudent75 02/17/10 - 10:47 pm
Countyman, yes because of

Countyman, yes because of murder!! This is the 2nd murder this year of a young teenager in the same neighborhood! You dont think this is a problem? Yep, you are right, crime is not just occuring in South Augusta...it is occuring ALL over Richmond County! In January 2010 alone, there were over 2600 cases that Richmond County Sheriffs Dept. had to handle. 422 people arrested, 3 murders, 10 rapes, 31 agg. assault, 41 armed robberies, 5 cases of child abuse/molestation, 204 burglaries, 711 theft by taking cases, 4 arson cases, 183 domesitc violence cases, 158 auto thefts and 97 forgery cases...as well as others that I did not list. So, in a way you are right is NOT just South Augusta, it is widespread all over the county...spreading like a virus. This amount of crime is putting an ugly mark all over the county...the number of cases compared to January 2009 has increased by just under 100! Now, unfortunately, there will be 2 more murders added to the list this year, this young girl and her unborn baby. She, her unborn child and the 15 year old that shot and killed her are now statistics. What a sad, sad world we live in! By the way, you are welcome to look at the statistics yourself at augustaga.gov God Bless all who have been affected by crime...especially those who do not have a voice!

badboymedic
badboymedic 02/17/10 - 10:50 pm
I'm sitting here reading this

I'm sitting here reading this comments and the only thing I can think of, is that someone child and grandchild died today. I can also think of a young man that will loose his freedom of society and be incarcerated probably for the rest of his life. People hide behinf these blogs and make some stupid comments and excellent observations. Just remember that someone child died and grandchild died and show some empathy or sympathy. The other bull will be dealt with in weeks to come.

proud2bamerican
proud2bamerican 02/17/10 - 10:52 pm
We want to eliminate God from

We want to eliminate God from everything; from our schools, from our conversations, from our convictions and then cry out to Him for mercy in the midst of our own consequences. Isn't it time to get on our knees and ask forgiveness, and really turn our hearts back to the one true God of the Bible? The answers are not that hard to find; they are right before our faces and yet we stand amazed at the consequences of turning our backs on God and not loving our neighbors. I guess it is just too easy to believe, but not too long ago most of us lived under God's blessing. Do we deserve it now, or do we have some changes to make in each of our own lives??

proud2bamerican
proud2bamerican 02/17/10 - 10:54 pm
All of the things you

All of the things you mention; the parents, the neighborhood, the local authorities, etc. - they are all relevant, but not the real foundation of the problems. Needy people loving and serving a BIG God is the answer, and it starts in our OWN back yards, one heart at a time! Are you up for it?

fatboyhog
fatboyhog 02/17/10 - 10:57 pm
This kind of behavior will

This kind of behavior will not stop because it is accepted in their culture. He's now a "man" because he murdered someone. He'll be lifted up as some kind of hero. He now has "cred." If this kind of behavior wasn't tolerated, why haven't we heard from the "ministers", the "community leaders", the community as a whole. These same people come out in droves and call for blood when an officer of the law makes a snap judgmental in the line of duty, but are deathly silent when it's black-on-black crime. Why is this behavior tolerated? Where is Jesse and Al now? Why aren't they up in arms over these senseless murders? If the little vermin is convicted, I hope they fry him extra crispy. He has nothing to "graduate" to. He's moved to the top of the class. Put him down..

Realize72293
Realize72293 02/17/10 - 11:00 pm
It's a shame to see what's

It's a shame to see what's going on around us. I can't even say "Shame on Augusta", because it's happening all over the United States, and all over the world. Shame on us as Americans, shame on us as humans. Instead of leaving comments such as "stupidity breeds stupidity" why don't you try to do something to help limit the crime? We can all sit here and bash about what's going on... But how many of us will actually get up, and take action against it? Augusta needs the Lord's blessing. America, the World needs the Lord's blessing.

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 02/17/10 - 11:00 pm
Proud, it's a monumental task

Proud, it's a monumental task to educate people to their needs and that they should look to God, and the forgineness of Jesus Christ, but it's not impossible. It's sad that there are so many like this young guy, and no one to teach him and lead him properly. Many are up for it, but are they doing it?

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 02/17/10 - 11:01 pm
Amen, Realize, Amen!

Amen, Realize, Amen!

proud2bamerican
proud2bamerican 02/17/10 - 11:02 pm
fatboyhog - I agree that

fatboyhog - I agree that there is a sad lethargy in the black male community when it comes to being responsible for the upbringing of not on their sons but all of their children. In court you see the mothers, aunts and grandmothers of these kids, but usually not a father to be seen. It is time for the successful leaders to stand up and call out these parents to step up to the plate, but the hatefulness I hear in your words will not help anyone. I understand your frustration, but I know I could use some adjustments in my own 'backyard' and my attitude before I call God's creation "vermin", etc.

asustudent75
asustudent75 02/17/10 - 11:04 pm
Amen, proud2bamerican!!!

Amen, proud2bamerican!!! babyboymedic...I am sympathetic in my posts. I am just in shock that people are blind to what is occuring in their own backyards...this doesn't have to happen. We can all make a change--the mayor and the sheriff's dept. need to work on all of this crime in Richmond County. The mayor is unable to understand this b/c he is sitting like a king doing meaningless tasks and holding pointless meetings like the one where he met with the gay pride group about approving their desire to conduct a gay pride parade in downtown Augusta this June. Meanwhile, the sheriffs dept. is too busy handling all of the crime with a short staff. Something has to give, and the only thing that seems to be giving are peoples lives. ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!!

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 02/17/10 - 11:07 pm
badboymedic. Sadly it takes

badboymedic. Sadly it takes thing like this to get these conversations to mean something. Some citizens scream it from the rooftops and they are ignored. It is horrible it takes tragedys to start opening some peoples eyes, even then sometimes it doesn't work. Tell me the appropriate time and place to make a difference, other than during a tragedy like this and I'll be there. As of now, people choose to be blind to the roots of these problems. They may not be the only reasons, but they are major players in exacerbating the problems....and completely denied. I see no one being cruel, just discussing how we get to a place where a child has a child and another child kills them both. It is unacceptable, yet sadly, it is.

proud2bamerican
proud2bamerican 02/17/10 - 11:07 pm
Realize - Do we get "God's

Realize - Do we get "God's blessing" when we live in rebellion to His Word, to his commandments, to the example of Jesus Christ? The Bible (God's Word) says that when we are in sin, we are out of fellowship with God - our prayers are not being heard. Until we confess our own sins, and get our own hearts right with God, He will NOT hear our prayers.

proud2bamerican
proud2bamerican 02/17/10 - 11:08 pm
We need to pray?? Please pray

We need to pray?? Please pray for the families?? "if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, THEN will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land." 2 Chronicles 7:14

asustudent75
asustudent75 02/17/10 - 11:12 pm
Well said, fatboy, well

Well said, fatboy, well said.
proud2beamerican...I see your point, however, if he is not vermin, than we will just call him what he is: A cold blooded double murderer...HE KILLED AN UNBORN BABY FOR GOD'S SAKE! Who gave him the right to take someone's life, let alone an unborn babies life? He will be dealt with, both here on Earth and in hell. A 15yr old with a pistol and obviously had no qualms about shooting it...must not have been his first time around the track.

proud2bamerican
proud2bamerican 02/17/10 - 11:15 pm
asustudent - agreed; call him

asustudent - agreed; call him what he is, a murderer - That is a probably one of the worse crimes I can imagine, but when the other guy was calling him "vermin" it wasn't just calling him "vermin" that seems wrong, it is the hatefulness I sense coming out of his comments; not just anger, sadness or grief, but a derogatory mean tone, in my opinion.

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 02/17/10 - 11:22 pm
Proud2, I am with ya 100%,

Proud2, I am with ya 100%, but all the God worshipping in the world can not help if the things than condone and enable this behavior are not stopped. When God was in the schools more and other places, the same crimes were steadily increasing. The same gov't handouts were enabling the behavior, the same acceptance of these horrid lifestyles were being bred, the same weak punishment in the justice system. God helps I do believe, but is not the answer to Godless criminals. No disrespect intended, but the "preaching" you are kind of doing now, trying to tell people if we pray things will change... only pushes more people away. Having faith helps, praying changes nothing in situations like this, It is not that simple. It does give you peace in situations you can not change, but that shouldnt be acceptable here.

hickstreetlane
hickstreetlane 02/17/10 - 11:17 pm
I wonder if this 15 boy with

I wonder if this 15 boy with the gun was part of the gang problem there in Pepperridge. Is this related to the killing recently? So Sad, So Sad!!! Where did he get the gun? Why did he have the gun? When will this community wake up and see the problems out there. Young people killing each other.

Realize72293
Realize72293 02/17/10 - 11:18 pm
Proud to be an American, When

Proud to be an American, When we see trouble around us, and seek a way out, Who do we look towards? Is it not God? I stated, We need God's blessings, not that we need God to clean up our messes. Some of us function off of our faith and beliefs, it gives some of us motivation to make a change instead of sitting here complaining about what the law should enforce, or how so and so should get punished.

grrrrrrrrrrrr fed up
grrrrrrrrrrrr fed up 02/17/10 - 11:18 pm
Prayers to her family . Rest

Prayers to her family . Rest in peace mother and child.

fatboyhog
fatboyhog 02/17/10 - 11:20 pm
Sorry Proud, but I deal with

Sorry Proud, but I deal with little punks like this all the time. I am tired of the victim mentality. There is NO excuse not to succed in this country. The government gives money for everything. You can get an education from K-Bachelors degree for free. But, these little punks would ratehr work the sytem and then blame their failures on everything but themselves. They walk around with a chip on their shoulders and think that if they see something they want, they can just take it. I, for one, am sick and tired of these little punks roaming around like a bunch of wild animals. If they want to act like animals, then we should treat them like animals. You can lead a horse to water, but you cannot make him drink. It is high time that the culture that breeds and coddles these vermin start being held accountable. It's time THEY stand up and say, "ENOUGH." I don't need to clean my backyard. I work, I've never stolen and I've never thought it would be a good idea to tote a gun to settle an argument. By the same token, my kids know better than to step over the line. They know there will be some serious repercussions for running afoul of the law or disobeying rules. It has been instilled in them since they were toddlers. These little punks have their parents scared. The culture of thug knows no boundaries. It's high time they learn some.

proud2bamerican
proud2bamerican 02/17/10 - 11:21 pm
takeastand - I am sorry that

takeastand - I am sorry that you see me as Bible thumping, but when everyone is calling out for prayer, we have to be honest about where the prayer is going! God is much bigger than all of this - He created each and everyone of us. If you call sharing a verse, directly from the Bible, "Bible thumping", then maybe that is part of the problem as I said, turning our backs on God. We want to put Him in a little box and pull Him out when we need Him instead of realizing what He tells us in His Word. We don't have to live in fear of tipping the scales as muslims do or worry about how we will be reincarnated like others. If we can't start with one thing...getting our own hearts right with God, then how can we say, "...all the God worshipping in the world can not help"?

proud2bamerican
proud2bamerican 02/17/10 - 11:24 pm
takeastand - You wrote, "When

takeastand -
You wrote, "When God was in the schools more and other places, the same crimes were steadily increasing." No, in fact as crimes were steadily increasing, God was steadily being removed from the schools (Humanist Manifesto; 1933). You really don't give the Creator of the universe much credit for His capabilities! We are the ones missing the mark, and if the turns people away, then beware of things only getting worse.

proud2bamerican
proud2bamerican 02/17/10 - 11:26 pm
realize - You wrote, "When we

realize - You wrote, "When we see trouble around us, and seek a way out, Who do we look towards? Is it not God? I stated, We need God's blessings, not that we need God to clean up our messes." You are exactly right, but doesn't "God's" word tell us how we need to live our lives? If we are not living according to His plan, can we expect Him to "bless" us?? Faith is great, but it is only part of the puzzle!

spbethune
spbethune 02/17/10 - 11:28 pm
Our children have gotten out

Our children have gotten out of hand, I think when they changed the law. When they decided to take away parents right of how to raise our children, things got of hand. You can't dothis or do that to your children or you will go to jail. Children have lost respect for the most part. No valve, some- no home training, parents are locked up,and some are on drugs(parents). You know, my heart gones out to the young lady family. I pray it will all come together........................

kikisapp
kikisapp 02/17/10 - 11:31 pm
This is truly a shame, I live

This is truly a shame, I live in Philadelphia, PA and Tykiah is my cousin. I am very upset to hear that one of my family members was lost to this senseless act of violence by a 15 year old that had no business with a gun anyway. My 17 year old cousin and her unborn baby will be missed. I love you babygirl

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 02/17/10 - 11:34 pm
I changed that word. I used

I changed that word. I used it for lack of a better one then thought of one. No disrespect intended. There are just some things that praying and believing wont change, it has to be made by mankind. Realize put it pretty good at 11:18. You can't for everyone to live by God, and those who don't and are violent, have to be taught by other means.

Realize72293
Realize72293 02/17/10 - 11:34 pm
Proud, God gave us the

Proud, God gave us the ability to think for ourselves when he created us, freewill. We can walk with the light, or we can walk with the dark; good and evil. God's word tells those who choose to follow him, what rules to abide by. However, He will never turn his back on us.

SMITHA
SMITHA 02/17/10 - 11:46 pm
I wonder if some of you read

I wonder if some of you read what you have written. Some of the statements are nothing short of pure hate. I'm so glad that so many of you have just wonderful lives untouched by the problems of the mere mortal man.

Kettle donations rise in 2014