Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Suspect in custody in fatal teen shooting

Suspect Loviet Nushawn Edwards turned himself in at the Law Enforcement Center in the case of a fatal shooting that took place about 6 p.m. in the 2100 block of Ramblewood Drive.

15-year-old Loviet Nushawn Edwards  Special
Special
15-year-old Loviet Nushawn Edwards

According to Richmond County Chief Deputy Coroner Mark Bowen, 16-year-old Tykiah Palmer, of the 2100 block of Trotters Way, was pronounced dead at 7:15 p.m. Wednesday. The fatal shooting occurred at about 6 p.m. Wednesday on the 2100 block of Ramblewood Drive. Palmer had been shot one time in the chest, Bowen said.

Palmer, who was between six and seven months pregnant, was taken to the Medical College of Georgia in critical condition and died in the operating room, Bowen said. Doctors performed an emergency caesarian and were able to save her baby for a short time, but the baby was later pronounced dead at 7:47 p.m.

The bodies of both Palmer and her baby will be sent to the Georgia Bureau of Investigation Crime Lab in Augusta for an autopsy on Thursday, Bowen said.

Authorities were looking for 15-year-old Loviet Nushawn Edwards in connection with the fatal shooting, according to Richmond County sheriff's Lt. Scott Peebles. Edwards turned himself in to authorities at the Law Enforcement Center late Wednesday night.

Investigators have learned that Edwards and the victim had been involved in a verbal altercation in the road near the front of Edwards' home. Edwards pulled out a handgun and fired multiple shots at the victim, striking her at least once.

The shooting is still under investigation. Investigators do not believe that Edwards and the victim have ever been in a romantic relationship together. There is no indication that the shooting was gang-related, Peebles said.

Edwards will be charged as an adult with two counts of Murder and one count of Possession of a Firearm During the Commission of a Crime, Peebles said.

Anyone with information on the case is asked to contact the Richmond County Sheriff's Office at (706) 821-1080.

happychimer
19521
happychimer 02/17/10 - 10:03 pm
He just turned himself in. It

He just turned himself in. It is on tv now.

KSL
KSL 02/17/10 - 10:06 pm
HC, you are so correct.

HC, you are so correct. Animals are a lot better, but one has to speak in terms others can understand. I couldn't think of a term to describe him.

happychimer
19521
happychimer 02/17/10 - 10:04 pm
KSL I know what you meant. no

KSL I know what you meant. no problem.

KSL
KSL 02/17/10 - 10:05 pm
Too bad. I wish he had

Too bad. I wish he had resisted arrest.

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 02/17/10 - 10:08 pm
I do too KSL. Wonder where

I do too KSL. Wonder where the little punk learned that behavior. Not

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 02/17/10 - 10:10 pm
uprising, you are kind of

uprising, you are kind of correct. the section 8 pop is rising in those areas and big coincidence the crime in those areas are rising. Most people choose not to see the link, but people with common sense and those who live in the neighborhoods they have infested know for a fact! And People like county can keep denying problems in the CSRA if it makes them feel better, but it won't change reality!!!

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 02/17/10 - 10:10 pm
KSL, the term to describe

KSL, the term to describe this punk is "MDECBUOTUT." It means; mentally deficient enhanced carbon based unit of the useless type!

happychimer
19521
happychimer 02/17/10 - 10:12 pm
Just think how he has hurt 2

Just think how he has hurt 2 families. They will never get over it.

KSL
KSL 02/17/10 - 10:13 pm
Sargbaby, that sounds a bit

Sargbaby, that sounds a bit to0 politically correct for this person of s.

KSL
KSL 02/17/10 - 10:14 pm
HC, you may just be giving

HC, you may just be giving his family a bit too much credit.

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 02/17/10 - 10:17 pm
Condolences to the young

Condolences to the young girls family, she was already living a life of hardship evidently, now she won't get the chance to see if it could be turned around. Same for the boy who shot her and the baby, but who cares now what happens to this violent little punk. Wonder if he was the father of the baby. I'd be willing to be money these apples arent falling far from the trees. This bad this young, they arent getting it from tv.... they live it.... surrounded by irresponsible people and criminals!

KSL
KSL 02/17/10 - 10:17 pm
After all, we don't know any

After all, we don't know any information about the motive or the details. What we do know is simply that a 15 year old punk has allegedly shot a 16 year old pregnant female. Neither situation should have been occurring.

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 02/17/10 - 10:19 pm
ahhh simply well put ksl. I

ahhh simply well put ksl. I seem to need more words to explain what I mean. Working on that... lol

happychimer
19521
happychimer 02/17/10 - 10:20 pm
KSL I don't know her family,

KSL I don't know her family, but she might have someone who loved her. When I was 17 yrs old I had a 19 yr old cousin who was murdered. I saw what it did to his parents and his brother and sisters.His mother use to walk the yrd at night praying and crying for her son. That went on for yrs till they moved from that house. Whenever we saw her she would always talk about her son and cry. She died about a yr ago. She never got over it.

KSL
KSL 02/17/10 - 10:20 pm
TAS, you are much more

TAS, you are much more charitable than I am. I'm been involved in casework since 1968. This whole situation is just completely ridiculous and is a prime example of why our "welfare" system does not work. All it does as it now stands is produce more of the behavior it was trying to eliminate in the 60's.

KSL
KSL 02/17/10 - 10:24 pm
HC, I said, "his" family. I

HC, I said, "his" family. I understand where you are coming from.

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 02/17/10 - 10:23 pm
No relationship and not gang

No relationship and not gang related... other than drugs or robbery, what else would be this little low lifes motive. I know a mouthy 16 year old can [filtered word] even the most patient person off, but what, just because he could and was mad? Hope he has so much time to think about it and gets the respect for his life, or lack of, he gave to the baby and that girl.

whatmistake
whatmistake 02/17/10 - 10:23 pm
We can all agree this is a

We can all agree this is a tragedy. An even bigger tragedy will be if the kid ever sees the outside of a prison cell again. We'll see how tough the punk is when Bubba from the next door cell comes calling and wants to be friends.

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 02/17/10 - 10:25 pm
You are 100% right KSL, any

You are 100% right KSL, any fool can see it, they just choose to act like the problem isn't there and the gimmie system isn't the enabler. I doubt people will ever wake up and fix this problem... it wouldn't be PC!

KSL
KSL 02/17/10 - 10:25 pm
Hey, he's a lost soul. Death

Hey, he's a lost soul. Death penalty. Make an example of him.

happychimer
19521
happychimer 02/17/10 - 10:25 pm
Maybe he has a mother or

Maybe he has a mother or grandmother who loves him. If he has anyone at all, they have to be devastated. I have nothing but contempt for him, but I do feel for his family.He has hurt them.

KSL
KSL 02/17/10 - 10:28 pm
HC, I reserve my feelings of

HC, I reserve my feelings of sympathy for his parents until I know who and what they are like. You assume he has a family like normal families. I don't. Neither of us raised murderers.

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 02/17/10 - 10:28 pm
whatamistake, I admire your

whatamistake, I admire your optimism, but sadly the only thing prison will do for him is get him in some good gang training for the day he is released, which will be way to soon, so he may victimize more people. Prison isn't punishment for most of these punks, its a reunion and planning sessions for what they can do when released. Just a temporary setback. If prison was really punishment, these low lifes wouldn't want to go, instead they are proud and get "street credit" for it. It is a conditon for some gangs to be able to join!

Hoser
Hoser 02/17/10 - 10:30 pm
I can't wait to move out of

I can't wait to move out of this dam city. This is getting to be too much.

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 02/17/10 - 10:31 pm
You are right again ksl, like

You are right again ksl, like I said earlier, I may be wrong, but usually apples don't fall far from the trees. And if by chance it wasn't the ones raising these kids leading them down these paths, it is usually a product of the environment they surround them with.

happychimer
19521
happychimer 02/17/10 - 10:32 pm
Crime is in every city. You

Crime is in every city. You can't escape it. The grass always looks greener on the other side, but it's not.

KSL
KSL 02/17/10 - 10:33 pm
Good luck on finding a place

Good luck on finding a place to go. There are nuts everywhere.

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 02/17/10 - 10:33 pm
Wonder where that pic came

Wonder where that pic came from? Looks like a mug shot. Prior troubles?

dominionfs
dominionfs 02/17/10 - 10:34 pm
They had his face on the

They had his face on the article before he turned himself in, so i'm betting this little angel has had a run-in with the Po-Po before now.

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 02/17/10 - 10:37 pm
You are right it is in every

You are right it is in every city, unfortunately, places that were once good, could have been prevented from becoming infested, but people choose to ignore the cause and viola. I mean how many nighborhoods nd cities have to be destroyed before someone stands up and admits the problems and make changes. 1, get strict on the gimmie crowd or leave them in their own holes and keep them out decent places and 2, get strict on the criminals. Enough is enough but the powers that be are to chicken ( you know) to step up and change it.