Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Bond denied for father charged in death of infant

Authorities say an Augusta man arrested in January and accused of violently shaking and killing his 3-month-old son abused the child long before his death.

During a bond hearing Friday for Corduray Keith Scott, 22, Assistant District Attorney Brooks Hudson said that after the child's death doctors saw indications of a pattern of abuse.

The child suffered from brain damage, which doctors said was caused by oxygen repeatedly being denied to his brain over a long period of time. As a result, the child's brain was deformed.

Scott was arrested Jan. 18 on a cruelty-to-children charge that was upgraded to murder after the baby died. Judge Albert M. Pickett denied bond Friday.

Scott had been watching the baby the morning before the arrest and was awakened at about 5 a.m. by his cries, Brooks said. In interviews with deputies, Scott said he had pushed the baby -- which was in a small child's swing -- so hard that the swing broke and the baby was left hanging upside down. Scott said he left his son that way for about 10 minutes and left the room. When he returned, his son continued to cry so he began jumping violently into the air to get him to stop. The baby then began to make a low, humming sound.

In the morning, the boy's grandmother found him unresponsive and shaking, and called 911. Speaking to the judge, Brooks listed a series of incidents that Scott told investigators had happened before his son's death. These included leaving the baby on the floor for 15 minutes after he fell from the bed onto his face, squeezing him so hard that his ribs broke and leaving him face down in couch cushions until he turned blue.

When the baby was brought to the hospital, authorities found bruises on his chest and arms. He also had several broken ribs and brain hemorrhaging.

Petey Aitchess
Petey Aitchess 02/06/10 - 03:03 am
There is no hell hot

There is no hell hot enough....

patsmommy 123
patsmommy 123 02/06/10 - 12:49 pm
When will these moms realize

When will these moms realize that some of these so called fathers arent fit to care for a dog much less a baby. I think that the babys mother should also have some jail time for leaving her baby with this scum. And as for the father who did this to a helpless 3month old life in prison.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 02/06/10 - 01:01 pm
patsmommy 123 I know you mean

patsmommy 123 I know you mean well, but when you say Life in Prison, all you are technically saying you will support him for life for what he did. Life in prison is for the Mother, and the needle (prefer the chair) for the POS.

alycias
alycias 02/06/10 - 04:48 pm
My heart just cries for that

My heart just cries for that poor little baby who had no one to help him at the time. "Bless the beasts and the children, for in this world they have no voice, they have no choice". That "father"--biological only--should be put to death. And not just be on death row for maybe 20 yrs. ...and have a chance to have a verdict reversed. He does not deserve to breathe the same air as the rest of us. The minute the mother saw that he was treating the child roughly, she should have left that scumbag and not let him have any more contact with her baby. At least we all know where that baby is now, in a much better place with his Heavenly Father!

meanmae13
meanmae13 02/06/10 - 05:11 pm
I lost my 6 month old

I lost my 6 month old grandson on January 24th - London was shaken by his mother's boyfriend. There were no signs of previous abuse, and London had a happy life until seconds before this brute shook him. I cried when I read this article - poor little baby boy, three months of constant abuse. Our story is horrific, but this baby's tale is even ore horrific.

Somehow, some way, we must educate parents and caregivers to the fragility of infants and toddlers.

Danyell706
Danyell706 02/07/10 - 01:37 am
my thoughts, heart, and

my thoughts, heart, and prayers goes out to the family of this 3 mth old child. I have followed this story since it broke, and my heart cried out each time I read it, because each and every time it was omething different that was discovered. How could he? and How could the mother not notice something? They had a daughter, and you mean to tell me he only abused the son? I am quite sure he did this to both and there were signs of abuse that she didn't pay any attention to. Meanmae13, I read London's story as well, and my heart/prayers are with your family as well.
How could he?
I agree, he should have the death penalty thrown at his butt, and be executed ASAP!!!!

cshell960
cshell960 02/07/10 - 10:45 am
death penalty,or life in

death penalty,or life in prison,this person should never be allowed out to do something like this ever again.If he could to that to a infant, he can do anything without thought of who he is hurting.

Rolling Eyes
Rolling Eyes 02/07/10 - 10:00 pm
True that Cshell, This is a

CABoatright
CABoatright 02/08/10 - 06:41 am
That poor excuse for a human

That poor excuse for a human doesn't deserve to draw another breath. He needs to go meet his maker NOW, and answer for all his hateful acts.

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 02/08/10 - 06:25 pm
Rolling Eyes sez; "True that

Rolling Eyes sez; "True that Cshell, This is a person without human compassion. Where are his limits?"
________________________________

This is an ignorant, stupid person, with no feelings, period! Even sadder, there are more like him, graduating to his status, every single day. I hope the bum spends the rest of his life looking over his shoulder!

redapples
redapples 02/08/10 - 09:31 pm
What a waste of human

What a waste of human flesh...in fact, I am not sure this spawn is human. Wild animals have far more compassion for their young and the only peace I have is knowing that the suffering of this young, innocent child has ended and hopefully his is only beginning. Dexter, why aren't you real?!

brittalli
brittalli 02/09/10 - 05:19 pm
I just can't believe that

I just can't believe that this could go on for 3 months, that poor baby ='(. what would compel someone to do this to an innocent baby????

lifelongresidient
lifelongresidient 02/10/10 - 06:01 pm
don't forget to save some

don't forget to save some blame for the "scumbag" defense lawyer...public defender or not, how can he/she sleep at nite or look in the mirror, first by advising this worthless individual to plead "not guilty", then to have the nerve to stand in front of a judge an request/plead for his "client" to be released on bond!!!! to do what find another child to shake, injure or kill...i bet 2 o3 3 things occurred, he wore his pants around his waste, and was cluching a bible...and if he had the chance he probably would tell the court how sorry he was, he didn't want to do it and all he wants to do know is go back to school and finsih college or get a job. if his lawyer had any kind of character he would have reviewed the eveidence available to him by the district atty's office and if valid and true pleaded his client guilty and throw him on the mercy of the court.....

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 02/10/10 - 06:41 pm
lifelongresidient sez; "don't

lifelongresidient sez; "don't forget to save some blame for the "scumbag" defense lawyer...public defender"
__________________________________

LLR, even the scumbag is entitled by law, to an adequate defense. It's not the lawyer's fault to be appointed to the case. The defense attorney is duty bound to represent any worthless piece of human excrement assigned to him/her. So don't blame the person for doing their job, no matter how distasteful it may be!

lifelongresidient
lifelongresidient 02/12/10 - 08:48 am
hey sarq, i understand the

hey sarq, i understand the constituion very well thankk you very much...for example tell me and others for the two who snuck in an "butchered" the woman in her home in martinez with a claw hammer in the event the hawk bros. win an acquittal???? do you tell them "even those two deserve an adaquate defense??" your words sez it all.."they are bound to represent...." okay they can stand and in the face of overwhelming evedence against their client plead them guilty....or better yet sarq....why does brian nichols deserve a trial??? was he unjustly accused??? is it a case of mistaken identity??? please enlighten me on why mr. nichols should plead not guilty...legal representation doesn't have to mean not guilty...leagl representation could mean pleading your client guilty based on the eveidence and accepting whatever punishment fits the crime or "throwing oneself on the mercy of the court"

lifelongresidient
lifelongresidient 02/12/10 - 08:50 am
sarq...lets just hope one day

sarq...lets just hope one day it's not your relative harmed or god forbid killed and that same lawyers or someone like him wins an acquittal even though the evidence indicates the defendant is guilty....

sueboo418
sueboo418 02/12/10 - 11:15 am
Fry his [filtered word]!!!!

Fry his a**!!!! nuff said.

Turkeys taste own medicine

I got up and out of my sickbed so I could write this column because it’s time for the annual Turkey of the Year awards, the highlight of the holiday season.