Education

More News | |

Parent among 7 arrested in fight at Josey

On the same day a judge sentenced a group of Josey High School students to jail for a fight three weeks ago, six Josey students and a parent were arrested Thursday in another brawl at the school.

Thursday's fight happened about 1:15 p.m. as two female students confronted one another near the school's lunchroom, said Richmond County school safety Lt. Richard Roundtree. Four other female students and the mother of one of the students joined in.

Lt. Roundtree said the mother had checked in with the school's office before going to where the fight started. He said his department would review surveillance video to determine which two students started the fight.

All the combatants were arrested and taken to the Richmond County jail on disorderly conduct charges, he said.

Lt. Roundtree identified those arrested as: Lawanda Lovett, 38; her daughter, Tequila Lovett, 18; Biancha Anthony, 18; Shayqwainta Bradley, 18; Kristinna Coleman, 18; Nadia Steen, 17; and April Walker, 17. All six students are suspended pending a school tribunal, he said.

Such behavior last occurred at Josey on Jan. 6, when a fight started over a girl getting chalk on her clothes sent 11 students to jail and six juveniles to tribunal.

Lt. Roundtree said he wasn't sure exactly what Thursday's argument involved, but he said the two girls who started the fight had a long-standing disagreement.

He said he wished the girls had heard about a judge's order of 60 days incarceration for nine of the students involved in the Jan. 6 incident.

"I hope it will get out," he said, noting that usually the punishment for disorderly conduct would involve a fine and probation.

"We applaud the court system for that (the 60-day jail sentence). It sends a stern message."

avidreader
avidreader 01/29/10 - 06:44 am
God bless our school system.

God bless our school system. The administration and teachers are trying so hard to educate these children, but they cannot control all of the hood-rage that comes in the doors. Lawanda Lovett should receive a hefty jail sentence, and her daughter should be banned from public education. I only have one word for these women -- HEATHENS! And these crude examples of society's waste will attempt to justify their actions from the moment the fight began, with no regard to how it could have been avoided prior to fists being thrown. Ignorance is not bliss! I would be willing to vote for a penal farm somewhere out in the middle of nowhere, where these miscreants could sleep in huts and cultivate squash and okra from dawn until dusk. Just keep them away from civilized people.

Troubled1
Troubled1 01/29/10 - 07:17 am
ok, what would you expect

ok, what would you expect from a mother who would name her child after her favorite alcaholic beverage?

cristinadh
cristinadh 01/29/10 - 08:00 am
not much...

not much...

lifelongresidient
lifelongresidient 01/29/10 - 09:03 am
let me guess, ms lovett(the

let me guess, ms lovett(the mom) was just passing thru the school on her way to her CEO job at_______(any friend/supporter fill in the blank) and just happened on her daughter being attacked by ______(again, fill in the blank) so she was there to protect her...yeah right...my guess is she lives in the projects, doesn't work and probably with 3 or more other kids in tow, or being watched by her neighbor decided to go to the school to help her daughter in this pre-planned attack or fight or whatever you want to call it...this is an example of what you have in the area/projects surrounding the school...because the mom sure wan't there to check on her daughter's progress...let me guess she's 18 probably in the 10th grade or maybe not even that high...the mom had to know what was going to happen or why else would she sign in and go directly to the location were the fight happened..either she knew or she is a psychic and if she is i wish she would please give me the numbers to hit the mega-millions

reality_bites
reality_bites 01/29/10 - 09:39 am
Avidreader, I totally agree

Avidreader, I totally agree with you. This was pre-planned.

Mr.Positive
Mr.Positive 01/29/10 - 10:05 am
Well, well. I think this

Well, well. I think this idiot of a mother should be given a year in jail. What an example she has shown. These kinds of people are the dregs of this or any other society.

Edward B. Turner
Edward B. Turner 01/29/10 - 10:37 am
Okay, the previous fight at

Okay, the previous fight at Josey that landed 11 students in jail involved "errant chalkdust," so this one might have involved another classroom essential like as a pencil. Possible dialogue:
Biancha: "Tequila, where's my Eberhard Faber Number 2 pencil?
Tequila: OMG! I must have left it in physics class!
Biancha: "You shouldn't use a #2 for physics. They don't erase easily and a "sloppy paper" translates into "sloppy thoughts."
Tequila: "You're crazy, girl. Remember, our teacher said that Einstein always felt that "number 2 pencils are the devils workshop."
Nadia and April: (animatedly) "No, that was Galileo!"
Shayquinita: (butting in as always) " You're all nuts! Madame Curie said it first"
Lawanda (coming to the defense of her impugned daughter): I heard you girls arguing arguing over Physics AGAIN! I've had enough! No more 'extra study groups" for you, Tequila.
Tequila (sobbing uncontrollably) "I'm sick of this, mom. You've been mad at me ever since I wrote that paper on the "Big Bang Theory!"
Shayqwinita and the rest of the students: Lawanda, you are so cruel to us in our pursuit of academic excellence! Besides, we're all tired of the way you diss Ohm and Ampere in the way you ALWAYS do.
Lawanda Oh yeah? I'll teach you a lesson that involves THESE physics that even Newton and Yang would approve of!
(The donnybrook ensues)

Oh well, just another day at Josey! Have a nice weekend, everybody.

jeffersonmorris
jeffersonmorris 01/29/10 - 10:55 am
GIRLS!?!?! Just remember,

GIRLS!?!?! Just remember, WWFD?! What Would Feynman Do?

deekster
deekster 01/29/10 - 11:21 am
Is this Detroit? Uganda?

Is this Detroit? Uganda? No, it is Augusta GA. The home of the prestigious "Masters Golf Tournament". A city of "class and academia". Rock on!!! Let the good times roll !!!!

deekster
deekster 01/29/10 - 11:23 am
I'll bet someone caught this

I'll bet someone caught this fight on their cell. I will make good copy for Nancy Grace. And just maybe a shot at "American Idol" for a deserving superstar.

bettyboop
bettyboop 01/29/10 - 11:40 am
Very sad.................

Very sad.................

Kirkwood
Kirkwood 01/29/10 - 12:10 pm
I think they may have

I think they may have actually been arguing about the birthplace of Heisenberg but I'm rather uncertain about that.

slwbbear
slwbbear 01/29/10 - 02:02 pm
This was not a parent, this

This was not a parent, this was someone who had a child or (children).
A real parent doesn't fight with their child, especially, not at school in front of other children. What kind of example is she setting for other children.

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 01/29/10 - 03:19 pm
They are lucky they still

They are lucky they still have teachers at that school with all this mess going on.

Roeschen
Roeschen 01/29/10 - 03:35 pm
You call ms. Lovett a mother?

You call ms. Lovett a mother? Sorry, she has not nurtured and taught her daughter right from wrong - which are some of what a mother does. She is scum. What adult gets into fights with teen-age kids? Who is she trying to befriend? Does she also share her daughter's boyfriends?

MomInRC
MomInRC 01/29/10 - 03:45 pm
LOL @ Edward

LOL @ Edward

dani
dani 01/29/10 - 04:01 pm
I would love to have seen

I would love to have seen the fight... Is it recorded someplace?

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 01/29/10 - 04:33 pm
Don't laugh people, this is a

Don't laugh people, this is a slow moving disease that is moving into other school districts.

jack
jack 01/29/10 - 06:41 pm
Unfortunately CG this is

Unfortunately CG this is true. My grand daughter said the cops had to come to Stallings Island Middle School the other day because of a fight. The student that beat up the other kid has a record of bad behavior. My question is, why is he still in sregular school? A seventh grader at that...

cristinadh
cristinadh 01/29/10 - 08:01 pm
unfortunately it is moving to

unfortunately it is moving to other districts and not only that the students are getting younger..

corgimom
corgimom 01/29/10 - 08:58 pm
Jack- that would be

Jack- that would be mainstreaming and NCLB.

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 01/29/10 - 09:08 pm
Kirkwood: Depending on where

Kirkwood: Depending on where you're standing, they either waved good-bye to reason or they just don't have a particle of sense among them.

wheeza
wheeza 01/29/10 - 09:31 pm
WOW and where was Wiggins

WOW and where was Wiggins when all of this went down, and what is his statement concerning this matter? I guess he doesnt feel like repeating himself anymore than we feel like listening to the same story over again......"this is an isolated case".

tjd
tjd 01/30/10 - 02:59 am
o mg what was that mother

o mg what was that mother thinking shame on her.The daughter doesn't have a chance. The mother needs to go back to school and get some education on how young ladies are suppose to carry them self.Children learn from parents,teachers,and other adults while they are growing up. someone needs to find a role model to teach all the troubled young ladies,and troubled mothers. try to teach them that the world is hard enough with out all the violence.Two youths are dead now because of senseless killings. Not only are the parents and family of the victims are suffering . But the accused ones families are hurting too they are losing their sons to the streets and violence and jails.The mother of the girl in that school should be ashamed of her self.one thing i can say about the whole fight.No one is dead behind this,but the spirit of that girls life has been broken by a supposed to be protector and and role model.How will that young lady recover from that.T the mother you need to teach your go young women good value not bad ones.Remeber everything you do reflects back on your children

disssman
disssman 01/30/10 - 10:15 am
I have always advoocated for

I have always advoocated for a "crooks corner" in every HS so that students can see previous trouble makers and what happened to them. If they had one showing the previous jailing of thugs, along with their pictures, maybe it might have stopped this one. I would still like to know what happened in this instance that drove a grown up to react like the mother did. PS I pick up the kid every day and believe me if I saw a bunch of people attack him, I would step in. Unfortunately, our one-size-fits-all rules would probably have me thrown in jail.

corgimom
corgimom 01/30/10 - 11:21 am
Dissman, do you think it was

Dissman, do you think it was just coincidence that the mother just happened to be there- at 1:15p- and happened to be right there where the fight started?

butler123
butler123 01/30/10 - 02:16 pm
If he wants the kids to hear

If he wants the kids to hear what happened to the other trouble makers, have an assembly and tell them.

wcr250
wcr250 01/30/10 - 04:20 pm
democrats all wondreful

democrats all
wondreful government schools

TROUBLED26
TROUBLED26 01/31/10 - 08:08 pm
For ya'll talking about

For ya'll talking about Lawanda Lovett, here are the facts. She has a full time job and is not on welfare. She doesn't leave in the projects which really doesn't matter. It's not where you are from it is what you install in your children as a parent. She went to the school on many occasions to tell them about the other children threating her daughter via myspace. They didn't do anything about it. So instead of ya'll running your mouth not knowing the truth. Find out the truth first. I'm not saying it was right for her to be fighting with kids, but as a mother you get tried of doing the right thing and not getting help. I have four children and if i was coming to the school more than once for help and wouldn't getting any. I would've went to the police first before putting the situation in my own hands, but don't judge anyone before you know the true story. Only GOD can judge us. Use your brain and think before you speak.

redapples
redapples 02/01/10 - 06:37 am
Troubled, your version of the

Troubled, your version of the facts doesn't change the situation. Since when does a responsible parent go to a school and fight alongside their child over myspace he-said-she-said drama? I have been in the situation with my own daughter and know that high school girls can be vicious, but there are measures in place for that and they work if given a chance. That's what make us a civilized society...although reading the Augusta Chronicle I do wonder just how civilized we really are...

Gander Mountain opens

Outdoor retailer Gander Mountain opened at 9 a.m. today at 145 Mason McKnight Jr. Parkway, across from CarMax.