Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Jewelry store manager faces theft charges

An Augusta diamond store manager suspected of stealing more than $100,000 worth of jewelry over the past eight months has been arrested.

Back | Next
Authorities say Mary Mainwaring Bevell resold stolen jewels.  Special
Special
Authorities say Mary Mainwaring Bevell resold stolen jewels.

Authorities believe Mary Mainwaring Bevell, 29, stole jewelry from Helzburg Diamonds at Augusta Mall and resold the pieces to other local jewelers. Arrested Tuesday in Aiken, Ms. Bevell is awaiting extradition to Richmond County on two counts of criminal damage to property and will be charged with jewelry theft when she is returned, authorities said.

Aaron Hannsz, a property crimes investigator with the Richmond County Sheriff's Office, said the missing jewelry came to the attention of the store's loss prevention department after an audit in November. Since then, he has identified at least three area jewelers who bought pieces from Ms. Bevell. The jewelers were unaware that the merchandise was stolen, Investigator Hannsz said.

"We can't say for sure all of it she sold is theirs, but quite a bit of it matches exactly," he said.

On 14 occasions between April and November, Ms. Bevell sold jewelry -- which she cut up into smaller pieces as "scrap" -- to Windsor Jewelers on Washington Road, according to Investigator Hannsz. She was paid more than $10,000 for the items. She also cut up rings, necklaces and other items then sold them to Gold Buddy on Bobby Jones Expressway in Columbia County for $6,000 and Jeweler's Loupe on Richland Avenue West in Aiken for $1,550.

In an effort to prevent others from noticing her theft, Investigator Hannsz said, Ms. Bevell would damage other jewelry to cover up the missing pieces. Authorities believe she did this during an inventory check in October, in which they found several pieces of jewelry damaged beyond repair.

"The evidence shows that on the 31st of October she damaged 35 pieces of jewelry with a value of over $35,000 in order to cover up the missing inventory," he said.

Reach Adam Folk at (706) 823-3339 or adam.folk@augustachronicle.com.

Connor Threlkeld
Connor Threlkeld 12/10/09 - 12:53 pm
Posting a comment for an

Posting a comment for an AugustaChronicle.com user experiencing posting problems:
I do work at Augusta Mall for a fine jewelry store, we all know each other. I know her, but not well. She made a bad mistake and will never work in the industry again. She will pay for what she did. Instead of being ugly, you should be praying for her and her family, because I'm sure they're going through a tough time. Instead of picking at someone elses problem, take a good look at yourself in the mirror. She's young, she made a dumb mistake, and her family is devastated.

jldeyoe
jldeyoe 12/10/09 - 12:58 pm
agreed

agreed

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 12/10/09 - 01:20 pm
At least she had enough

At least she had enough brains not to need a gun to rob someone.

AugustaVoter
AugustaVoter 12/10/09 - 02:27 pm
I wonder how much she got

I wonder how much she got from "Cash4Gold"?

corgimom
corgimom 12/10/09 - 02:35 pm
Cthrel, she's been doing this

Cthrel, she's been doing this for awhile, this didn't just start last April. And her family had to know at some level- if I suddenly became $15,000 richer, my family would say "Where are you getting this money all of a sudden?" As would any normal family.

gnumbgnuts
gnumbgnuts 12/10/09 - 02:53 pm
She's young, she made a dumb

She's young, she made a dumb mistake... You're half right, 29 is not young.

willienelson
willienelson 12/10/09 - 02:55 pm
As of 2007 the number of

As of 2007 the number of whites in prison was almost the same as blacks. Blacks were 35% and whites were 34%. Hispanics were around 17%. Chinese were discriminated against unfairly. They represented less than 1% of the prison population.

Doyougetitnow
Doyougetitnow 12/10/09 - 05:35 pm
dang willie, there you go

dang willie, there you go again, throwing out silly FACTS.

LolaJean
LolaJean 12/10/09 - 05:38 pm
I guess she wont be there to

I guess she wont be there to greet me during this Christmas Season. What an idiot! You see ISPY4U, the gimme gimme crowd doesnt discriminate one's color. All are welcome! I know it felt good for You, FarrakhanFruit and Justus to see someone that doesnt look like your cousin up there, but who cares? Theres isnt a single color that doesnt steal.

rjay
rjay 12/10/09 - 05:48 pm
she stole ,don't feel sorry

she stole ,don't feel sorry for her family. I guess she told them she got a big raise when she came home with the money.

Irish
Irish 12/10/09 - 06:32 pm
I just read Ispys idiotic

I just read Ispys idiotic post. That man should keep quite rather than prove he is a bigoted elementary school drop out everytime he comes on here. What a farce. He seems to be mad about just being born....poor thing still waiting on reparations, wealth redistribution, 40 acres and a mule......If this person is convicted she should get the full letter of the law...the law should be blind not prejudiced toward any race creed or political belief....Like OJ"s trial was......

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/10/09 - 07:15 pm
I'm not necessrily saying

I'm not necessrily saying these ones are like that, but we are far too lenient with businesses receiving stolen property and using it in the businesse around here.

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/10/09 - 07:17 pm
businesses

businesses

RIPAmerica
RIPAmerica 12/10/09 - 07:37 pm
Guess she didn't go to Jared.

Guess she didn't go to Jared.

johnrawllins
johnrawllins 12/10/09 - 09:03 pm
Yeah, willie and blacks make

Yeah, willie and blacks make up 13% of the population and whites about 84% are so, what's your pt?

johnrawllins
johnrawllins 12/10/09 - 09:17 pm
No, notreally, to plump--must

No, notreally, to plump--must be a "crack" head like your "brand"!

ExtraordinaryGirl
ExtraordinaryGirl 12/10/09 - 09:25 pm
I'm so shocked and saddened

I'm so shocked and saddened to see this! Ms. Bevell sold my husband and me our wedding rings and my engagement ring a few years ago. She was very kind, very nice and bubbly, spoke lovingly of her family, and was skilled at what she did. If I ever needed anything, I always looked for her first when I went to the store. What happened?

I'm with cthrelkeld, I'll be praying for her and her family.

corgimom
corgimom 12/10/09 - 09:26 pm
From the DOJ- At midyear

From the DOJ- At midyear 2008, there were 4,777 black male inmates per 100,000 U.S. residents being held in state or federal prison and local jails, compared to 1,760 Hispanic male inmates per 100,000 U.S. residents and 727 white male inmates per 100,000 U.S. residents.
Willie, where are you getting your numbers from? And your numbers add up to 87%, where's the other 13%?

apex24
apex24 12/10/09 - 09:44 pm
Ispy, 1 out of 100 is 1%. Not

Ispy, 1 out of 100 is 1%. Not bad huh, idiot.

johnrawllins
johnrawllins 12/10/09 - 10:18 pm
Hmm, I don't think that is a

Hmm, I don't think that is a booking photo!

sassygirl12
sassygirl12 12/10/09 - 10:39 pm
I am so glad that she thinks

I am so glad that she thinks that this is funny. Lets see how fast that smile goes away when she actually has to serve time for this...How stupid can you be to do something like this and to actually put it in your pea brain that you are not going to get caught..so, so stupid

baronvonreich
baronvonreich 12/10/09 - 10:44 pm
I guess ispy thinks we should

I guess ispy thinks we should defend her actions, have the New White Panthers march in the streets, and boycott Helzberg Diamonds since they set her up?

themaninthemirror
themaninthemirror 12/11/09 - 10:14 am
What ev eryone is missing in

What ev eryone is missing in this article is it exposes the tremendous markup on retail jewelry. Think about it, according to the math in the article, she got roughly $17,000.00 for $100,000 worth of jewelry. She would have been better off taking the jewelry to a flea market and selling it at 50%. That way there would not have been a paper trail of where it went or who it was sold to. Plus she would have made about $35,000 more, which would help pay for her criminal defense attorney.

bettyboop
bettyboop 12/11/09 - 10:23 am
LOL man in mirror I was

LOL man in mirror I was wondering when someone would pick up on that.....NEVER buy from a jewerly store it's almost a crime at what they charge .....if you spend 1000.00 your return value will be way less than half.......................

O1111O
O1111O 12/11/09 - 03:50 pm
2xIDB

2xIDB

Son of God
Son of God 12/12/09 - 10:52 am
May God bless this young

May God bless this young woman and forgive her for her mistakes as she draws closer to him and repent. God forgives 77x77 times, why can't you? Thank God you don't have a Heaven or hell to put her in? What would Jesus do? Forgive her or continue to hammer her in the ground? As you have commented, the word of God says plainly, Whatsoever a man sows, that shall he also reap.Your day is coming soon, get ready. Let's review the comments on your posting.What this young lady did was against God's commandments;Thou shall not steal. Let God deal with her. He will. He will deal with all of us who commented in due season. have a blessed and prosperous day. I am on my way to a funeral of a cousin who fought hard for his life but God gave him Eternal Life. This young lady is young and still breathing. May God restore her and give her another chance. You sure won't. Look at these comments. I would rather not post and appear inconsiderate and ruthless than to post and remove all doubt. Let's pray for one another. Jesus is soon to come. God just may visit one of us tonight. will you go to Heaven? I will because I live holy and have love for all of my sisters and brothers just as Christ did. AMEN

corgimom
corgimom 12/12/09 - 02:28 pm
Son of God, according to you

Son of God, according to you there should be no law enforcement and no prisons, and if somebody steals from you, you should not call the police. Remember this the next time you are a crime victim. Do you allow people to take possessions from you? No, you do not. And because of people like her, it's people like US who wind up paying for her theft. You don't live holy, you live hypocritically. Ever lock your doors? Ever put money in a bank? Ever take your keys out of your car ignition? Of course you do. Hypocrite.

worriedboutdafuture
worriedboutdafuture 12/13/09 - 10:22 am
Is she in the "Jail Report"

Is she in the "Jail Report" Yet I'm tryna make a connection! (LOL)

justbeasy
justbeasy 12/14/09 - 12:59 pm
I don't understand you

I don't understand you people, most of you people who claim everyone plays the race card are the same ones that permeate race in the thread of every topic. Are you all really that stupid?

coolchic
coolchic 12/18/09 - 08:57 pm
Maybe with her jewelry

Maybe with her jewelry "skills" she'll bedazzle the prison jumpsuits. Hopefully she'll serve time for this one.

Many black colleges struggling

Although Paine has struggled with its own failures over the past several years, HBCUs across the nation are dealing with some of the same troubles that are threatening their missions and existence.