Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Jailers fired for 'unnecessary' force with inmate

Two Richmond County jailers were fired last month after a fight with an inmate in his cell.

Back | Next
Kellam  Special
Special
Kellam

Deputies Derek Neal and Joshua Parker were let go from the sheriff's office after an altercation with 18-year-old Charles Kellam, who refused to leave his cell at the Charles B. Webster Detention Center on Phinizy Road on Nov. 19.

Sheriff Ronnie Strength said Thursday the incident occurred when one of the deputies was questioning Mr. Kellam about a radio that was taken from another inmate.

When Mr. Kellam refused to leave his cell, Deputy Neal began fighting with him, Sheriff Strength said. Deputy Parker then joined in the fight.

"After the internal investigation and reading these statements I felt the force used was unnecessary," Sheriff Strength said.

The sheriff drew a distinction between "unnecessary" and "excessive" force.

"It is unnecessary once we get a man down and he's subdued," Sheriff Strength said. "It's over."

Mr. Kellam was in the jail for a probation violation.

Deputy Parker had been working for the department since May 2008, while Deputy Neal had been employed since November 2007, according to Sheriff's Lt. Pat Young.

Reach Adam Folk at (706) 823-3339 or adam.folk@augustachronicle.com.

PoliticallNcorrect
PoliticallNcorrect 12/04/09 - 07:37 am
I have hallway's expressed

I have hallway's expressed that our Sheriff was a Good Honest Man. I know for a fact & this prove's it. If a Deputy go's astray
? Sheriff Strength will shorten his career...fast!

Nativeson1
Nativeson1 12/04/09 - 07:42 am
^^^: So what are you implying

^^^: So what are you implying or advocating? that the sheriff lie and allow misconduct to thrive and go unchecked?

PoliticallNcorrect
PoliticallNcorrect 12/04/09 - 07:46 am
I have allway's expressed

I have allway's expressed that our Sheriff was a Good Honest of Man. I know for a fact & this prove's it. If a Deputy go's astray ? Our sheriff will shortens his career choice. Regardless of color.

PoliticallNcorrect
PoliticallNcorrect 12/04/09 - 07:50 am
SORRY ..for the 2 post above

SORRY ..for the 2 post above I can't erase or delete it??????

Notreally
Notreally 12/04/09 - 08:02 am
It's good it's been revealed

It's good it's been revealed early that these two BUBBAS have I'm the MAN syndrome as Jailers, can you imgaine if they were on the streets? I also hear they brought in their uniforms/jump suits dirty and nasty back to the quarter master, one had feces on it.

clearview
clearview 12/04/09 - 08:10 am
politicalNcorrect, why are

politicalNcorrect,
why are you sorry for the two postings? Your comment can only be read as a positive statement and complimentary towards the integrity of our Sheriff.

7even
7even 12/04/09 - 08:19 am
Both jailers look rather

Both jailers look rather lumpy. Just saying.

john
john 12/04/09 - 08:35 am
Awesome, so the inmate gets

Awesome, so the inmate gets to have I'm the man syndrome instead. The second Augusta Country Club.

john
john 12/04/09 - 08:37 am
They probably should have

They probably should have just tazed him or walked out, closed the cell door and turned on the fire hose.

JustMe
JustMe 12/04/09 - 09:23 am
What are they doing with a

What are they doing with a radio in jail????

themaninthemirror
themaninthemirror 12/04/09 - 09:44 am
I would assume they were

I would assume they were using the radio for listening enjoyment purposes. Although I once saw a prison documentary where a prisoner rigged a transistor radio to blow up and then gave it to the targeted inmate and when the inmate tried to put it next to his ear because he thought there was a problem with the volume, the inmate triggered the implanted mechanism that blew up the radio. It was enough of an explosion to cause small parts to become lodged in the head of the inmate. But no one in Augusta can be that smart.

themaninthemirror
themaninthemirror 12/04/09 - 09:49 am
Judging from this jailer's

Judging from this jailer's photo,I think he was in the Urban Cowboy film,he was the nightclub bouncer who had the line,"Bud, you whipped his azz good, now everyone get back to drinking,"

Just Another Day
Just Another Day 12/04/09 - 09:58 am
Is the Sheriff dept hiring

Is the Sheriff dept hiring people with healthy appetites now?

Just Another Day
Just Another Day 12/04/09 - 09:59 am
Let's see JUST NUTS is MIA so

Let's see JUST NUTS is MIA so let me fill in: "this article proves what I have been saying all along, the you know who is mistreating a certain part of the jail population for fun and kicks, that inmate was prob. there cause he owed the corporate machine some restitution BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH and me for mayor!!!" There. Is that close enough to his rethoric?

change display name
change display name 12/04/09 - 10:07 am
If the jailers in Richmond

If the jailers in Richmond County had pepper spray, it wouldn't have happened. In Columbia County, all the jailers have to do is shake the can and the inmates comply. Much nicer all around.

Notreally
Notreally 12/04/09 - 10:16 am
There are FAT cops everywhere

There are FAT cops everywhere across the nation I guess it's the norm.

Just Another Day
Just Another Day 12/04/09 - 10:16 am
I agree with "change display

I agree with "change display name"..........pepper spray is way less lethal than a taser and more economical to buy in bulk by the Sheriff Dept. Pepper spray might not work on ALL inmates but works on most on some level, enough to incapacitate the inmate enough to take control. Besides, have you ever heard of any inmate dieing because of pepper spray use?

TCB22
TCB22 12/04/09 - 10:32 am
Seriously change display

Seriously change display name? CC jailers have pepper spray? Let me ask you this. What didn't they USE it when a 17 yo was being raped? Silly comparison based on the big ole blunder at the CC sheriff's jail last week.

Just Another Day
Just Another Day 12/04/09 - 11:07 am
Well Let me see, is it

Well Let me see, is it feasible for a few jailers to keep an eye on 100's of inmates 24/7?

TCB22
TCB22 12/04/09 - 11:15 am
Uh, yeah. That's the idea.

Uh, yeah. That's the idea. Jailers watch inmates. If you are saying there are not enough jailers, then audit the sheriff's budget and number of personnel he has in the jail and let's find out for certain!

Just Another Day
Just Another Day 12/04/09 - 11:21 am
Let's do that then. Also

Let's do that then. Also let's find out why the disparity of incarcerated minorities vs the number of non-minorities in the jail system. Because I'm afraid indeed there are NOT enough personnel. Thank You

butler123
butler123 12/04/09 - 12:19 pm
Would be interesting to know

Would be interesting to know if they would have been fired if the inmate was white.

Just Another Day
Just Another Day 12/04/09 - 12:46 pm
How about Chinese? Jamaican?

How about Chinese? Jamaican? Hispanic? Italian? Let's get departmnet of justice in this....

accenthomeimprovement
accenthomeimprovement 12/04/09 - 01:18 pm
As someone who has known

As someone who has known officer neal all if his life I can tell you that if Richmond county performed mental evaluations before hiring deputies he would not have been hired. Also knowing a few people that have had to be guest's at Richmond counties jails from time to time this deputy's mental attitude is the norm and his treatment of inmates is normal for all deputies at the jails.

Just Another Day
Just Another Day 12/04/09 - 02:07 pm
For the first part of your

For the first part of your comment I will conceive that you have a more intimate knowledge of ex jailer Neal mental behavior having knowing him all of his life, as for the second part of your comment, you have made a "blanket" opinion for ALL jailers that are currently employed and you have reached that conclusion based on the information stated to you by "few people that have had to be guests" at the local jails. Let see......people that are "guests" normally do not have a high opinion of their keepers. Did these "guests" encounter ALL 200 plus jailers employed or just 50 or so? Please provide further information. I'm eagerly awating. Pretty ignorant comment. It's the equivalent of a caucasian male robbing me and now I dispise ALL caucasain males because of the actions of one particualr one......think about it....

austinevans
austinevans 12/04/09 - 06:39 pm
accent, sounds as if you have

accent, sounds as if you have "personal knowledge" as a guest!

Jillian
Jillian 12/04/09 - 11:10 pm
Looks like those guys could

Looks like those guys could use 9 weeks at Boot camp . Learn to be a man of integrity and get in shape too!

helpicantfindthespacebar
helpicantfindthespacebar 12/05/09 - 03:29 am
Just another dipwit...it's

Just another dipwit...it's quite amusing that you accuse others of making ignorant comments when your post is rife with errors. Copying and pasting here: "I will conceive that you have a more intimate knowledge of ex jailer Neal mental behavior having knowing him..." Did you possibly mean you would CONCEDE the poster has more intimate knowledge? And what the heck is 'having knowing'?? Oh, and it would be 'Neal's mental behavior'. Notice the apostrophe followed by the 's'?

Just Another Day
Just Another Day 12/07/09 - 09:29 am
help I cant find my brain for

help I cant find my brain for MAYOR!!!!!