Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Martinez woman charged in death of child

Columbia County authorities arrested on Tuesday a Martinez woman suspected of killing a toddler she was babysitting.

Lowanda Concettes Tripp told police the child was acting "strange."  Special
Special
Lowanda Concettes Tripp told police the child was acting "strange."

Lowanda Concettes Tripp, 39, of the 1500 block of Avery Landing, was arrested at about 2 p.m. and charged with murder. Police said she is accused of killing 22-month-old Teaira Michele Hall of the 1800 block of Hill Drive at Fort Gordon.

Authorities were called to Avery Landing Sunday evening in response to a report that the child wasn't breathing. At the time of the call, she was in Ms. Tripp's care, said Columbia County sheriff's Capt. Steve Morris.

Columbia County Deputy Coroner Harriett Garrison pronounced Teaira dead later that night at the Medical College of Georgia Hospital, Coroner Vernon Collins said.

The preliminary findings of an autopsy performed Monday at the Georgia Bureau of Investigation Crime Lab in Atlanta showed that Teaira suffered "multi-traumatic head injuries," Mr. Collins said.

Mr. Collins was unsure Tuesday how Teaira sustained those injuries.

Ms. Tripp told police that the child was acting "strange" and was "throwing a fit," according to a police report.

A deputy noted in the report that Ms. Tripp rode with Teaira in an ambulance to Doctors Hospital, where the child was treated before she was transferred to MCG.

Ms. Tripp's neighbor told police he was outside Sunday evening when he saw Ms. Tripp in her front yard holding the toddler in her arms. He said Ms. Tripp told him the child wasn't breathing, and he brought them both inside his home and called authorities.

A phone message left for the neighbor Tuesday was not immediately returned.

Capt. Morris said Ms. Tripp had watched Teaira on numerous occasions.

Teaira's mother, Antoinette Hall, and Ms. Tripp knew each other through work, he said. Ms. Hall is in the Army, and Ms. Tripp is a civilian employee at Fort Gordon.

No bond had been set for Ms. Tripp.

Reach Donnie Fetter at (706) 863-6165 or donnie.fetter@augustachronicle.com.

justus4
justus4 11/18/09 - 02:21 am
This happened Sunday. A

This happened Sunday. A preliminary autopsy already completed on Monday? Tripp arrested on Tuesday which seems kinda fast. Also, according to the article, the child was treated at Doctor's Hospital and then transferred to MCG. What emergency procedures were performed on the child? Why did they transfer the child? Wow! My observation skills are scary...

cajunnana2000
cajunnana2000 11/18/09 - 03:33 am

Thank you SonOfSambo....@Justus4--It was an emergency, the Drs at Doctors Hosp acted quickly after medical observing the poor child and transferred her to a hospital(MCG) that handles trauma. What are you trying to say? Too many kids are being murdered these days. Had it been a dog, only God knows what you would said. May God bless and comfort the mother and may justice be served on the babysitter.

smartie
smartie 11/18/09 - 06:03 am
actually, justus, it's your

actually, justus, it's your sense of logic that's scary. maybe you can answer this? why do the low life thugs, that you defend so vehemently, not put a higher value on a human life? simple question. i'll wait for your answer.

Notreally
Notreally 11/18/09 - 07:03 am
Hey smartie GET BACK IN THE

Hey smartie GET BACK IN THE NIGHT YOU AIN"T WHITE. What are you doing to help any race since you so concerned about thugs, wait there are white thugs I've seen some, in fact I saw one yesterday. Oh smartie these low life thugs, you sound like you scared of them, when you see them in the streets you tremble in their presence don't you LOL. Because what you spew here behind your computer screen you want say that to one of those low life thugs face LOL.... OMG the computer age.

smartie
smartie 11/18/09 - 07:15 am
c'mon, notreally, get with

c'mon, notreally, get with the program. you know this is the forum here. i'm not ashamed of what i think. i'm not scared of one, or more of these thugs. i'm a full grown man, with the means to protect myself. it really doesn't matter about color. i could throw insults, and threats, at you. but, i'd rather treat you with respect. who knows, maybe i could learn something from you. you took my comments out of text the other day. you could go back to that article for clarification. besides, my brother, the old computer screen name game, is the forum here, as i said.

na_bboy
na_bboy 11/18/09 - 08:15 am
Quick turnaround on the

Quick turnaround on the autopsy, I hope this isn't the end of the investigation. Ms. Hall must have found Ms. Tripp trustworthy, the article does say she worked with the woman, so the thug references probably aren't warranted. Who knows what to think, I hope the truth is established, but until then I'll wait to accuse this individual of actually killing this child. I do offer condolences to the mother, she must be devastated!!!

ispy4u
ispy4u 11/18/09 - 08:38 am
If smartie is Black, then

If smartie is Black, then President Bush was " Passing"?

disssman
disssman 11/18/09 - 09:04 am
I wonder why ms. Hall wasn't

I wonder why ms. Hall wasn't using the child care center on post for her kid? I also wonder what the actual injuries were?

Reality
Reality 11/18/09 - 09:04 am
I think everyone should wait

I think everyone should wait before jumping to conclusions about blame. The mother could have hurt the child and the sitter could be innocent.....The sad thing is the child's life was taken by someone and probably suffered a bit first....

YellowHammer
YellowHammer 11/18/09 - 09:21 am
I have to agree with Reality.

I have to agree with Reality. We don't know all the facts. I'm all for justice being served, but let's be sure it's administered properly.

InChristLove
InChristLove 11/18/09 - 09:33 am
My thoughts exactly Reality

My thoughts exactly Reality and YellowHammer.

mysterious1
mysterious1 11/18/09 - 09:37 am
There's a reason this woman

There's a reason this woman was ARRESTED you idiots. You all need to google HEAD TRAUMA and see what results you get and how an autopsy is determined. There's no min. time limit on an autopsy or max. This woman is in jail simply because she committed a crime. An AUTOPSY would tell all. If this child suffered from traumatic head wounds over time by her parents there's BIG difference in long term abuse and a quick beating to the head. TRUST ME I KNOW. A doc could easily tell if the child had been previously beaten. reality, disssman, na_bboy...ur all idiots who probably wouldnt understand anything medical. Rest in peace to this child and may god bless her parents.

ya-ya
ya-ya 11/18/09 - 09:40 am
the article says that it was

the article says that it was Sunday evening....Fort Gordon doesn't have child care services on Sunday let alone, in the evening

Reality
Reality 11/18/09 - 09:45 am
mysterious1, did you stay at

mysterious1, did you stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night and now think you are a doctor?????

mysterious1
mysterious1 11/18/09 - 09:50 am
reality...face your own name.

reality...face your own name. My father is a doctor u fool and he has spoken on this since it happened. DO AS I SAID U idiot AND GOOGLE HEAD TRAUMA...google is used as a learning tool for u slow ones...seriously. not on here to argue and i dont care how u feel about anything. I stated my opinion based on what my father said who's been in practice almost 24 years. Im sure he know's if i dont know...N the Holiday Inn Express is CHEAP sure you would know.

dani
dani 11/18/09 - 10:09 am
The same thing applies to

The same thing applies to whoever killed the child. Take them and put them where they have no further contact with polite society. You might hear later that the child had suffered injuries before due to "falls".

change display name
change display name 11/18/09 - 10:17 am
"Multiple traumatic head

"Multiple traumatic head injuries" do not happen from "falls." Kids can't hit their own heads that hard repeatedly. Justus--if they waited and the family was white, you would be asking why they waited. The woman killed the baby. That's all there is to it. There is no lucid interval in head trauma like on TV.

corgimom
corgimom 11/18/09 - 10:56 am
"My observation skills are

"My observation skills are scary..." no, justnuts, it's your lack of intelligence and common sense that's scary.

happychimer
19537
happychimer 11/18/09 - 11:05 am
If she is guilty of killing

If she is guilty of killing that child,she deserves the death penalty.

lexcabguy2004
lexcabguy2004 11/18/09 - 11:27 am
I am sure there is some

I am sure there is some detail not released right now. Maybe she broke down in the ER and said she hit the kid against the wall. I am sure they investigated how long the child had been there. Had the kid been there 45 mins and quit breathing and the possibility something happened prior to the child being dropped off? Did he fall down stairs? They have enough of a reason to charge her with murder. They don't just come up with that. We will find out soon.

corgimom
corgimom 11/18/09 - 11:39 am
Lex. If a child fell down the

Lex. If a child fell down the stairs, and then acted strangely, wouldn't you call 911? Or would you stand outside in your front yard with a dead baby in your arms? Falling down stairs does not cause multiple head traumas. The baby was thrown against a wall, repeatedly, or kicked, or had her head slammed against a wall by an adult.

na_bboy
na_bboy 11/18/09 - 11:57 am
Mysterious1, you're upset

Mysterious1, you're upset with our opinions? Dude get some help, the insults aren't cool, and the meltdown you just experienced is probably a symptom for some other ongoing mental issues you're dealing with. Bottom line, relax its not that serious, learn to control your anger better, SMH!!!!!

MYINPUT
MYINPUT 11/18/09 - 12:09 pm
If this were my child, she

If this were my child, she bettter be glad she is in custody, because GOD help her if I were to get my hands on her.. A precious baby has lost its life due to the ignorance of an adult who should know better. I have two children of my own, one is 20 months and one is 6, and God knows they do try you sometimes, but YOU are responsible for how you handle that, they are innocent and have no concept at that age of the buttons they are pushing. I am so heartbroken by this story and angry at the same time. Parents hug your kids extra hard and be careful of who you let around them--

butler123
butler123 11/18/09 - 12:53 pm
Day care on post is not a

Day care on post is not a 24-7thing and it should be. My daughter and husband are dual military. There are a lot of times they have to work or do training when on post daycare isn't possible. They wouldn't know what to do without me here to take care of their kids, and quite frankly I don't either. The army really needs to work on this problem. People don't realize how difficult this situation can be. They may have to get up and go in at 3a.m. just to do a random drug test. They are always having to do something army related, spur of the moment. I really don't see how single parents in the military manage at all.

mysterious1
mysterious1 11/18/09 - 01:41 pm
na_bboy wow. not an attitude

na_bboy wow. not an attitude @ all...please check your own mental status. Im in the medical field and i think i know what i am talking about. Wat u or anyone else says will not change the outcome and have this murderer released. she is where she needs to be and i can almost guarantee there wont be a turn around with this case. she can rot and that's simply what will happen.

Just me 2
Just me 2 11/18/09 - 02:02 pm
Yes, she will rot for years

Yes, she will rot for years and years and years, at the tax payers expense. She should get the death penalty and it should NOT take SO MANY years for justice to be done.

Jdog33
Jdog33 11/18/09 - 02:09 pm
First of all my prayers are

First of all my prayers are with the Mother and family of this precious child. Once again many of you have displayed your ignorance and made nasty and or mean comments, which need to be kept to yourselves. Don't judge and you won't be judged; this is not a color issue or an issue for you make believe invesigators or soap opera Doctors to decide, lets leave it to the professionals, and help this family by praying for them during their time of lost....My comments

Mufasa46
Mufasa46 11/18/09 - 02:39 pm
To all who are reading this!

To all who are reading this! Before we call anyone a "THUG" or even convict someone please let’s get all the facts. Yes my prayers truly go out to the Mother and family. You all are showing how ignorance and nasty the world can be, about judging someone. Let someone who has not "SIN" cast the first stone. Please let the investigators do their jobs. There are a few unclear issues with this case. Pay more attention to the family and even the young lady. Maybe she didn't do the crime you all are assuming she is a murder. All of you saying she can rot hang or whatever get a "LIFE" and grow up. There is more to this situation than what was initially put out in the news! None of us are investigators’ are lawyers we are just people watching the news and making comments without even thinking of "Both Victims’ Especially The Family of the Child".......

Reality
Reality 11/18/09 - 02:43 pm
I believe whom ever is

I believe whom ever is responsible should be charged. mysterious1, I can't really say anything bad about you as you have already shown your ignorance. So, if your father is a doctor talking about his professional ties with this case he is also in the wrong. By the way, what medical profession are you in? I hope I never need any professional services you have to offer.

dani
dani 11/18/09 - 03:14 pm
Questioning the cause of

Questioning the cause of death and the person concerned is NOT making judgements. That word is over-used on the forums when it has no bearing on the subject. ALSO, Discussing the punishment that should be enacted is not judging.

Daniel Field removes trees, lights structures in airspace

Daniel Field, managed by operations company Augusta Aviation, has spent more than $30,000 conducting land surveys, removing 30 trees and installing red blinking lights on top of the Newman Tennis ...