Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Money schemes result in 10 years plus probation

A woman with a decadelong history of lying and stealing received a 10-year prison sentence plus 10 years' probation Thursday for her most recent set of crimes.

Judge Carl C. Brown Jr. warned Terra Garner that probation wasn't an option, considering the number of criminal counts she faced and her criminal history.

Ms. Garner pleaded guilty in Columbia County Superior Court for crimes committed there and in Richmond County. Most of the charges of forgery, credit card fraud and theft resulted when Ms. Garner helped herself to possibly as much as $30,000 from the bank and credit card accounts of her employer, Ashmore Concrete Contractors.

Most of the money was used to pay for Ms. Garner's wedding on Sept. 8, 2007, while she was still married to a Michigan man. The crime she admitted to committing in Richmond County was bigamy.

What Assistant District Attorney Adam King called particularly distasteful was Ms. Garner's false claims to her employer and co-workers that she had cancer. Ms. Garner received about $6,000 in sick leave benefits from Ashmore Concrete, Mr. King said.

"I want to apologize to Mr. (Jerry) Ashmore. I am so sorry, from the bottom of my heart," Ms. Garner said.

But Mr. Ashmore, who trusted Ms. Garner and hired her as his executive secretary in October 2006, asked the judge to impose a prison sentence.

It's not that he didn't want Ms. Garner to pay the money back, Mr. Ashmore said. "I want restitution but not at the expense of other victims who may come after me."

Mr. Ashmore wasn't Ms. Garner's first victim. In 1999 she pleaded guilty in Henry County, Ala., to reduced charges of misdemeanor theft. Court records there show Ms. Garner stole from her employer. She also pretended to have cancer, going so far as to shave her head, Mr. King told the judge Thursday.

In 2002 she pleaded guilty in Oakland County, Mich., for passing fake checks. She was sentenced to 153 days in jail, according to court records. Criminal charges filed in 2003 and 2005 were dismissed. In Michigan she also falsely claimed to have cancer, Mr. King said.

Wherever Ms. Garner has gone, fraud and financial ruin has followed, Mr. King said.

But Ms. Garner's family stressed she has become determined to change and make up for the damage she caused. Her brother, Tony Taylor, told the judge he had a job waiting for Ms. Garner. She needed to be out and working to pay the money she took, Mr. Taylor said.

Assistant Public Defender Jason Hasty asked the judge to consider how long ago the prior crimes occurred. She is remorseful for stealing from Mr. Ashmore and wants to repay the money, Mr. Hasty said. He described the bigamy as a careless mistake.

Ms. Garner blamed the events leading up to her September 2007 wedding on an addiction to prescription pills.

Reach Sandy Hodson at (706) 823-3226 or sandy.hodson@augustachronicle.com.

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 11/06/09 - 02:53 am
Once a thief, always a thief.

Once a thief, always a thief. Can't stand a thief!! I don't believe a word she says. Consider her priors were so long ago and she was such a good girl for so long in between????.... my a$%!! 99, 02, 03, 05, 07 and the countless thieving acts she didn't get caught at. That defender is grasping at thin air!! Went from Vic Hawk to a PD..haha... didn't steal enough for your defense lady!! LOL She wouldn't repay crap, that sob story is just that... a story...aka...BS! She needs to be in jail so she can't rip anyone else off. She's only sorry she got caught, not that she rips people off or she wouldn't have done it for so long. I have no sympathy for her!! Glad Mr. Ashmore didn't either and asked for punishment and prevention of future victims. Good for him, someone needed to teach her a lesson that might would stick! Now why don't other [filtered word] repeat offenders and violent criminals get the punishment they deserve also???? Instead this mucked up system and the bleeding hearts seem to think these lowlifes deserve second and 10th chances more than innocent people need to be protected!

SayNoMore
SayNoMore 11/06/09 - 02:58 am
I think the pink online

I think the pink online picture of a cancer pretender is a nice touch! Happy Friday!

justus4
justus4 11/06/09 - 05:08 am
A light sentence considering

A light sentence considering the damage and a light prosecution considering the possible charges. And bigamy was included but appears not factored into the sentencing so an all around reduced effort to really punish this individual. Moreover, that it proves that some folks are being employed WITH criminal backgrounds while others are being ruined for their entire lives. Guess what group of citizens are they...

CABoatright
CABoatright 11/06/09 - 07:42 am
I usually save my baseball

I usually save my baseball bat and mace for violent criminals, but I'd make an exception in her case. Then lock her up for being stupid.

LEO
LEO 11/06/09 - 07:42 am
justus4, we can all read

justus4, we can all read between your lines, so why don't you come out and say what you mean? I've never commented on your race baiting drivel before, but I feel I should point out to you that the judge in this case is African-American (a pawn of the system, I'm sure you would say). It's time to lose that chip on your shoulder and understand that the world (or at least one segment of it) is not out to get you and your race. In short, grow up.

getalife
getalife 11/06/09 - 07:58 am
She asked the judge for a

She asked the judge for a "second chance", seems that she is working on her 6-7 chance already!! Not enough prison time.

Georgialina
Georgialina 11/06/09 - 08:26 am
This woman has been lying,

This woman has been lying, cheating and stealing all her life. The 10 year sentence was imposed not as much as punishment but to protect society from her. She went as far as forging doctors names to medical records and judges names to court documents. She left a wake of destruction in Alabama and Michigan before coming back to Georgia to start the rampage all over again. If you doubt any of this just do a little research on her (Terra Renee' Taylor Garner) and you will see the countless crimes she committed and the lives of others she has destroyed. All because she is a thief and a habitual liar. She always wanted to live a big and fancy life. Well she got part of it right. She will now live in the big house.

willienelson
willienelson 11/06/09 - 09:51 am
She is kinda cute though. I

She is kinda cute though. I think I will call her Rose or Angie or perhaps just initials. Maybe PT or something.

corgimom
corgimom 11/06/09 - 10:10 am
justnuts, with you, either

justnuts, with you, either white people aren't prosecuted or you don't like it when they are. Which is it with you?

sdfsdf
sdfsdf 11/06/09 - 10:53 am
Sounds like a typical

Sounds like a typical American woman. Instead of you hearing about her doing those deplorable things to her husband, you're hearing about her doing those things to her employer. Small difference. Divorce law breads that kind of behavior (and Hollywood). Bleach blond hair should have been a dead give away.

gnumbgnuts
gnumbgnuts 11/06/09 - 11:25 am
Hey justUidiot, she might be

Hey justUidiot, she might be eligable for an IHOP management position once released. What do U think?

LWEST
LWEST 11/06/09 - 11:48 am
I feel so bad for her little

I feel so bad for her little girl

disssman
disssman 11/06/09 - 11:48 am
What would have been her

What would have been her sentence if she had used a gun to rob her employer? BTW gnum... I eat periodically in IHOP and find the service excellent because of the management they have so I am not sure of the slant of your comment.

themaninthemirror
themaninthemirror 11/06/09 - 02:10 pm
Obviously being somewhat

Obviously being somewhat attractive got her some consideration in this deal. I have an ex-uncle she should hook up with when her prison sentence is over. The only thing is he has never been prosecuted for his escapades. They will make a great modern day Bonnie and Clyde.

lookatthis96
lookatthis96 11/06/09 - 02:47 pm
I am more sick by the

I am more sick by the comments on this page then I am for what she done, yes she should be punished but I hate to know I live in the same town with some of you, I would love to look in some of yall's closets and see your dark side, because I can assure you most of you don't have a right to judge her, but remember a higher authority will judge her and each of you one day. She will pay for her crimes and the bad thing so will her child, because of people like yall making comments of hatred, these things will be said to an innocent child, who no matter what loves her mom.........

rm5016
rm5016 11/06/09 - 05:15 pm
I agree with 96. She did what

I agree with 96. She did what she did and is now having to pay for it. The one who gets hurt most in this situation is her child. Which is truly sad. No matter what you think of her or what she did your words will have an impact on an innocent child, so why why don't you think before you speak.

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/06/09 - 06:03 pm
Let's hope someone is making

Let's hope someone is making sure Roundtree is not signing her out of jail on weekends.

commentonthis
commentonthis 11/06/09 - 09:31 pm
I know this lady did wrong,

I know this lady did wrong, but so has Mr Jerry Ashmore of Asmore Concrete. He is in the middle of a MILLION dallor lawsuit. in which he was inlegally dumpping waste. He did not want to press charges until this lady was questioned about it and she answered the questions the way he did not want her to. Maybe you should research that.

jasonpilgrim
jasonpilgrim 11/06/09 - 09:38 pm
commentonthis your comment is

commentonthis your comment is not true!!!!! And without proof you are nothing more than a liar, just like the woman in this news story.

corgimom
corgimom 11/07/09 - 06:34 pm
She'll have 10 years to do

She'll have 10 years to do her research, won't she? One wrong act does not mitigate another- as in "two wrongs don't make a right". Mr. Ashmore will have his day in court. But it doesn't matter what he did, it matters what SHE did. So now we've heard he didn't want to press charges, he did want to press charges, he didn't file against his insurance, he did file but he got the money back- when things don't make sense, it's because somebody is lying. By the way, how did Mr. Ashmore make her steal money in Alabama and Michigan? And what did Mr. Ashmore have to do with committing bigamy? She is what she is.
A liar and a thief, and she will never change.

lookatthis96
lookatthis96 11/11/09 - 12:16 pm
on ashmore concrete check in

on ashmore concrete check in Judge Overstreet court room you'll fine the case

oldbutstilluseful
oldbutstilluseful 11/16/09 - 12:17 pm
comment on this AKA Tarra's

comment on this AKA Tarra's family member, Ashmore did not prosecute her, The State of Ga did. There were other people she scammed besides Ashmore. Warren Rd Church , The Catering Service, to name a couple. Don't try to make excuses for this career criminal. Atleast all other officers will be safe from her until she gets out. She has taken everything Gabe has, she knew what was available because of her credit check on him when they first started dating, and will drop him as soon as she gets out and can run to her next adventure. She'll probably hang on to him till then. With all he has available , being in Law Enforment, it's a shame he didn't use the same tactic and check her out, especially since he was warned before all this took place. It will be interesting to see if the FEDS do anything.
I too hope Roundtree is not signing her out, wouldn't surprise me though.

BruceOrmes
BruceOrmes 11/23/09 - 04:01 pm
Who is Roundtree?

Who is Roundtree?

oldbutstilluseful
oldbutstilluseful 12/03/09 - 05:23 pm
Short & Sweet, he is an

Short & Sweet, he is an investigator that was/acussed of, signing female inmates out of jail for ?????

Georgia to monitor potential Ebola travelers

The new screening comes on the heels of a decision to funnel all of the travelers from Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone to one of five airports where CDC and airports are conducting enhanced ...