Free income tax preparation is available through AARP Tax Aide for low- and middle-income taxpayers, particularly those ages 60 and older.
Volunteer counselors trained by the Internal Revenue Service will be at local libraries to prepare and electronically file tax returns. Patrons do not have to be AARP members to take advantage of this service.
In Aiken County, residents can receive assistance starting Jan. 30. The free service is available at Aiken Public Library through April 13 and Nancy Carson Library in North Augusta through April 10.
• Aiken Public Library, 314 Chesterfield St. SW, Aiken, (803) 642-2023; 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Mondays through Fridays. Appointments can be made by calling the library. Handicapped access is in the rear of the building.
• Nancy Carson Library, 135 Edgefield Road, North Augusta, (803) 279-5767; 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Mondays and Tuesdays. Appointments can be made by calling the library.
Free tax-preparation services will be available in the Augusta area from Feb. 1 to April 17. Some locations are listed below:
• Augusta-Richmond County Library, 823 Telfair St., Augusta, (706) 821-2600; 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays.
• Columbia County Library, 7022 Evans Town Center Blvd., Evans, (706) 863-1946; 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays.
• Doctor’s Hospital H2U, 1305 Interstate Parkway, Augusta, (706) 651-6716; 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. (by appointment only) Mondays and Wednesdays.
• Euchee Creek Library, 5907 Euchee Creek Road, Grovetown, (706) 556-0594; 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Mondays.
• Jeff Maxwell Library, 1927 Lumpkin Road, Augusta, (706) 793-2020: noon to 4 p.m. Thursdays, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Fridays and Saturdays.
Taxpayers should bring copies of their 2010 federal and state tax returns 2011 W-2s, 1099s and other relevant materials needed to prepare their 2011 returns.
To file electronically, taxpayers are required to bring their Social Security card, picture ID and Social Security cards for all dependents, if AARP Tax Aide did not prepare the return the previous year, according to a release. They should also bring a checkbook if they want direct deposit of their refund.
Sunday’s edition of The Augusta Chronicle has $1,967.47 in coupons. This includes $8 at Sears, $33.77 at Walgreens, $255 in Smartsource, $6 in Parade, $18 in Redplum, $250 at Branum’s and $1,294.70 at Harbor Freight Tools.
The SmartSource coupon book has a coupon to save 75 cents on any one Reynolds Wrap foil, with some exclusions. It expires March 31.