The grocer chain announced late Monday an immediate recall of the Taylor Farms Spinach Antipasti Salad sold in the deli department at the Bi-Lo at 500 Furys Ferry Road. The salad mix is possibly contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes, a bacterium that can lead to serious infection if ingested.
The recall is an expansion of an Oct. 22 announcement made by Reser’s Fine Foods Inc. that about 109,000 cases of refrigerated ready-to eat products made at a Topeka, Kan., salad manufacturing facility and distributed nationwide and in Canada might be contaminated with the bacterium, according to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration.
The Martinez store director has removed the salad product from the deli and asks customers to discard the item immediately, according to a statement released by Brian Wright, Bi-Lo’s communications and community vice president.
Shoppers who purchased the product can receive a refund by presenting proof of purchase at the store through a receipt or product-packaging label.
No other Bi-Lo stores are affected by the recall, and there have been no complaints of illness associated with consumption of the salad, according to the Bi-Lo news release.
Listeria, or listeriosis, is a serious infection caused by eating food contaminated with the bacterium Listeria monocytogenes and primarily affects older adults, pregnant women, newborns and adults with weakened immune systems, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta.
Symptoms vary but can include fever, muscle aches, headache, stiff neck, confusion, loss of balance and convulsions that are sometimes preceded by diarrhea or other gastrointestinal symptoms. Most people diagnosed with listeriosis have an invasive infection, which means the bacteria have spread beyond the gastrointestinal tract.
For pregnant women, the infection can lead to miscarriage, stillbirth, premature delivery or life-threatening infection of the newborn. The elderly and people with weak immune systems can see the infection present itself as septicemia or meningitis.
The risk for transmitting the infection might be reduced by recommendations for safe food preparation, consumption and storage.