Electrical short caused fire that damaged Aiken horse barn

Monday, July 22, 2013 1:01 PM
Last updated 8:20 PM
  • Follow Aiken

AIKEN — An electrical short caused a fire that heavily damaged a stable housing two dozens horses Saturday.

Back | Next
Aiken Public Safety and Fire and Rescue responded to a fire at Legacy Stable on Saturday afternoon.  SPECIAL
SPECIAL
Aiken Public Safety and Fire and Rescue responded to a fire at Legacy Stable on Saturday afternoon.

Aiken Department of Public Safety Capt. Brian Brazier said the fire started in the stable’s office near the electrical panel box. The blaze was extinguished in fewer than 30 minutes, he said.

“There was a large amount of fire, but we got it under control pretty quickly,” Brazier said.

Fire crews responded to the call about 2 p.m. at Legacy Stable on Two Notch Road. A nearby wedding that included people familiar with horses helped move 24 horses to safety.

“It was really a God thing that there were so many people around,” said Brad Stauffer, who with Ron Stevens trains horses for Dogwood Stable out of the Legacy barn.

Legacy Stable leases the barn from owner Rhett Riviere.

The more than 80-year-old wooden barn will never be used for horses again, Stauffer said.

“It’s 80 percent gone. It’ll be a total loss,” he said.

The horses were moved to a small empty barn at the Aiken Training Track immediately after the fire, Stauffer said. Soon, they will be moved to their new, permanent home in a larger barn at the track.

“All of the horses are in stalls. Training was back to normal for them this morning,” he said Monday.

Stauffer said the Aiken equine community has expressed support, offering to do whatever needs to be done to make sure the animals were cared for.

No horses were injured.

Comments (4) Add comment
ADVISORY: Users are solely responsible for opinions they post here and for following agreed-upon rules of civility. Posts and comments do not reflect the views of this site. Posts and comments are automatically checked for inappropriate language, but readers might find some comments offensive or inaccurate. If you believe a comment violates our rules, click the "Flag as offensive" link below the comment.
soapy_725
43678
Points
soapy_725 07/23/13 - 07:15 am
0
0
No insurance. Begging for donations. Whaz up wit dat?
Unpublished

No insurance. Begging for donations. Whaz up wit dat?

Fiat_Lux
15644
Points
Fiat_Lux 07/23/13 - 09:44 am
1
0
Those in that wedding party were the real heros

for running into that burning barn over and over to save those horses. Cudos to them.

llewallen
72
Points
llewallen 07/23/13 - 11:23 am
1
0
Really???

How long has that building been standing? Then all of a sudden it catches on fire? Its a good thing there was a wedding going on that day. Otherwise the insurance payments would have been significantly more.

Cudo's to the folks that saved the horses.

CricketSeranade
593
Points
CricketSeranade 07/23/13 - 11:50 am
1
0
llewallen

According to other news outlets, there was no insurance on the barn. I find that insane. The barn was housing thousands (millions?) of dollars worth of horses and there was no insurance? What would have happened if someone got hurt on the property? Mr. Rivieir was playing russian roulette with five bullets in the chamber. Looks like (for now) that he may have gotten lucky and dodged getting sued. Without insurance he could lose everything he owns and then some.

Fiat_Lux
15644
Points
Fiat_Lux 07/23/13 - 07:21 pm
0
0
However, llewallen

each of the horses absolutely was insured, irrespective of the barn.

Back to Top

Search Augusta jobs