The March 9-15 festival begins at 2 p.m. Saturday when Juilliard’s Drama Division presents Juilliard Juniors, an interactive theater experience for families with children ages 4-6. The free event at the URS Center for the Performing Arts will use classic plays such as Romeo and Juliet to expose youngsters to theater.
At 2 p.m. Sunday, the Pisticci String Trio and the Charles Yang Duo will perform at St. Mary’s Help of Christians Church. The concert is free.
Violinist Yang performed in Aiken last year, presenting his renditions of works from Beethoven to Michael Jackson. Yang is joined this year by pianist Peter Dugan, a 2011 graduate of The Juilliard School.
The partnership with Juilliard came about through Pulitzer Prize-winning authors Steven Naifeh’s and Gregory White Smith’s bequest of Joye Cottage to the Juilliard School as a retreat for future generations of Juilliard students, faculty and alumni. Joye Cottage is the 60-room Whitney-Vanderbilt estate where, in its heyday, artists including Enrico Caruso and Nellie Melba, pianist Józef Hofmann and dancer Fred Astaire once performed.
During the week, Juilliard artists will also visit area schools.
Events – some ticketed, many free – are scheduled throughout the week.
For more details, visit www.juilliardinaiken.com. Here is the schedule:
SATURDAY, MARCH 9
• Drama Division Juilliard Juniors:
2 p.m., URS Center for the Performing Arts, 126 Newberry St. SW; free; open to families with young children in kindergarten through first grade; reservations required, (803) 648-1438
SUNDAY, MARCH 10
• Pisticci String Trio & Yang Dugan Duo: 2 p.m., St. Mary’s Help of Christians Catholic Church, 203 Park Ave. SE; free
• The Sublime Instrument with organist Paul Jacobs: 6 p.m., St. Thaddeus Episcopal Church; SOLD OUT
MONDAY, MARCH 11
• The Sublime Instrument with organist, Paul Jacobs: 1 p.m., St. Thaddeus Episcopal Church; SOLD OUT
• Drama Division Performance: 8 p.m., URS Center for the Performing Arts, 126 Newberry St. SW; $30, $20, $10, students free; (803) 648-1438
TUESDAY, MARCH 12, 2013
• Drama Division Performance: 2 p.m., URS Center for the Performing Arts; $25, $15, $5, students free; (803) 648-1438
• Triptych Percussion Ensemble: 7 p.m., Second Baptist Church, 425 Hampton Ave. NW; free; reservations, (803) 644-3994
WEDNESDAY, MARCH 13
• Festival of Song with Daniel Fung: Tea on the Lawn, 2 p.m., Green Boundary Club, 780 Whiskey Road; $45, (803) 648-1438
• Juilliard Jazz Artist Diploma Ensemble: 8 p.m., Green Boundary Club, 780 Whiskey Road; $50, $45, $40, $35; (803) 648-1438
THURSDAY, MARCH 14
• Midday Music at First Presbyterian Church with Juilliard415: Noon, First Presbyterian Church, 224 Barnwell Ave.; free; doors open at 11:30 a.m.
• Anderson & Roe Piano Duo: 7 p.m., USCA Etherredge Center, 471 University Parkway; $45, $35, $25, students $5; (803) 648-1438
• Juilliard Jazz Artist Diploma Ensemble After Hours Show: 9 p.m., The Willcox, 100 Colleton Ave.; free
FRIDAY, MARCH 15
• Fifth Year Anniversary Celebration Concert: featuring Anderson & Roe, Juilliard Jazz Artist Diploma Ensemble, Yang Dugan Duo, String Trio, Pre-College Artists, Vocalists, and Juilliard415, 8 p.m., USCA Etherredge Center; $45, $35, $25, students $5, (803) 648-1438