Aiken man, 68, dies after vehicle strikes tandem bike

Sunday, Feb. 5, 2012 10:26 PM
Last updated 11:15 PM

A 68-year-old Aiken man was killed after he and his wife were riding a tandem bicycle that was struck by a vehicle trying to pass them, authorities said.

Gerald Hooker and his wife were traveling north on Banks Mill Road. When they tried to turn left onto Lone Oak Road, just outside Aiken, a 2009 Ford driven by Whitney Dunan, 23, of Aiken, struck them, said Aiken County Coroner Tim Carlton.

Hooker was pronounced dead at Aiken Regional Medical Centers at 3:52 p.m. Hooker’s wife was released after being treated for minor injuries.

The South Carolina Highway Patrol is investigating the crash. The patrol’s Multidisciplinary Accident Investigation Team will do a follow-up investigation. Hooker is scheduled for an autopsy Monday in Newberry, S.C.

This is the first fatal crash in Aiken County this year.

Comments (7)

TakeAHike
TakeAHike 02/06/12 - 01:32 am

Was there a double yellow

Was there a double yellow center line?

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 02/06/12 - 05:39 am

So, the vehicle was trying to

So, the vehicle was trying to pass the bike at an intersection? That doesn't make any sense. Or did the bike suddenly change lanes to make the turn and that's when the vehicle struck them? Regardless, I'm sorry this happened to all concerned.

bdouglas
bdouglas 02/06/12 - 09:18 am

@TakeAHike: If they were

@TakeAHike: If they were traveling northbound, as the article states, there is not a double yellow line when traveling in that direction.

See here for the Goodle street view of that area (Lone Oak is ahead on the left): http://maps.google.com/maps?q=lone+oak+ln,+aiken,+sc&hl=en&ll=33.504342,...

allhans
21956
allhans 02/06/12 - 10:54 am

3:52 Pm..was visibility so

3:52 Pm..was visibility so bad, or the driver too impatient?

bdouglas
bdouglas 02/06/12 - 11:11 am

@Allhans: If you're into

@Allhans: If you're into supposition, did the bike riders use proper hand signals to denote their turning intentions?

allhans
21956
allhans 02/06/12 - 12:44 pm

bdouglas..I have NO idea. I

bdouglas..I have NO idea. I would try to avoid hitting some one if at all possible, even it they werent using turn signals. If I can see them....

bdouglas
bdouglas 02/06/12 - 03:13 pm

@allhans: Agreed, but without

@allhans: Agreed, but without knowing circumstances, it's all supposition, which was my point. Also worth noting he passed at 3:52pm at the hospital. Nowhere does it indicate that's when the accident happened (and I don't claim to know since no one has reported that).