Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Aiken County lawyer arrested on drug charges

A local lawyer has been arrested on drug charges and accused of trying to influence a witness.

Sidney "Chuck" Jones: Aiken lawyer is accused of passing tobacco and marijuana to an inmate at the Richmond County Jail and trying to influence a witness in a case against his son Tyler Jones.

According to a Richmond County Sheriff’s Office statement, Sidney “Chuck” Jones, 59, of Connector Road in Graniteville, was booked into the Richmond County Jail on Wednesday after investigators witnessed Jones pass to­bacco and marijuana to an inmate.

Jones practices law at Jones and Lynn Law Offices on Silver Bluff Road in Aiken.

Investigators initially received information that Jones was having a witness falsify statements in a case against his son Tyler Jones, the release said.

Investigators also received information that Chuck Jones was smuggling marijuana and tobacco to an inmate at the Richmond County Jail.

Investigators then witnessed the lawyer pass the contraband to the inmate Wednesday.

Tyler Jones is jailed in Aiken County, accused in a Waffle House armed robbery earlier this year.

Ballistics testing has confirmed that a firearm used by Tyler Jones in that robbery matches one used in a Waffle House armed robbery on River Watch Parkway on March 23, police said. He will remain in the Aiken County Detention Center until the case can be adjudicated.

Chuck Jones has been charged with influencing and threatening a witness; distribution of marijuana; and possessing, giving or hand-delivering marijuana to an inmate.

my.voice
my.voice 09/29/11 - 11:50 am
You must be kidding. Maybe is

You must be kidding. Maybe is partner will represent him.

david jennings
david jennings 09/29/11 - 12:21 pm
I believe armed robbery

I believe armed robbery should be seen as one of the most serious crimes.It has claimed way too many innocent victims and usually not much money although no amount of money can justify taking someones life.Im sure this man loves his son but for him to try a stunt like this might explain why the boy is where he is.This should be the end of Jones practicing law.

Willow Bailey
20603
Willow Bailey 09/29/11 - 01:16 pm
David, it will be the end

David, it will be the end of Jones practicing law and mabe the end of him for quite awhile. My condolences to his present clients who have lost their financial investments in their pending cases.

Willow Bailey
20603
Willow Bailey 09/29/11 - 01:33 pm
He doesn't have a partner.

He doesn't have a partner.

stillamazed
stillamazed 09/29/11 - 02:07 pm
Talkk about letting your kids

Talkk about letting your kids face the consequences of trouble they get into. What is he teaching his son? And is this the first time he has pulled some crap like this on other cases?????

curly123053
curly123053 09/29/11 - 02:15 pm
This man definitely needs to

This man definitely needs to be disbarred!

cityman
cityman 09/29/11 - 02:21 pm
Jones son is an armed robber

Jones son is an armed robber and Joens was taking pot to him in jail. I think that armed robbers should get the death penalty!

cityman
cityman 09/29/11 - 02:22 pm
Shady, sleezy...yuck.

Shady, sleezy...yuck.

Willow Bailey
20603
Willow Bailey 09/29/11 - 02:35 pm
bdouglas, I believe they

bdouglas, I believe they moved away awhile back and have not been affliated with his practice for some time. I could be wrong, though. However, there is no indication that Jones was ever very successful as an attorney.

cityman, the article said he was taking the drugs to an inmate, it didn't name his son. Could have been the witness that he was tampering with, or another client, don't you think? His son is incarcerated in Aiken, and this happened in RC.

curly123053
curly123053 09/29/11 - 03:13 pm
If I read correctly his son

If I read correctly his son is jailed in Aiken County and he did this in Richmond County. Was he trying to influence a witness or what?

Haki
Haki 09/29/11 - 04:13 pm
Wow! Some of you need to get

Wow! Some of you need to get a life. How about name his dog and cat too!

Dixieman
Dixieman 09/29/11 - 05:10 pm
Whoa! Amazing low story!! I

Whoa! Amazing low story!! I love my kids but would never do anything like this for them...
I am, for the first time ever here, rendered speechless.

EricBogar
EricBogar 09/29/11 - 06:30 pm
Willow...Read more

Willow...Read more closely...Obviously the cops knew he was trying to influence a witness to the robbery his son did or didn't do...."Investigators initially received information that Jones was having a witness falsify statements in a case against his son Tyler". That means all he was doing was trying to help his son out....I don't see how that makes him a bad guy...I would have done the same for my son and if any of you disagree then you know nothing about family.

EricBogar
EricBogar 09/29/11 - 06:47 pm
Dixieman- You think you

Dixieman- You think you wouldn't....but you would. Good people do bad things all the time. His son is facing a lot of prison time. If he did it, then to me he should go away for a while but as parents we never think that. We think about how long it's going to be before we ever see our kids again. At least I would. I think most parents would.

KSL
KSL 09/29/11 - 06:48 pm
Bogar, It's obvious that you

Bogar, It's obvious that you do not understand that an attorney if an officer of the court. He is held to a higher standard than just an ordinary dad. And encouraging a witness to commit perjury to help out a son goes beyond the pale. I sincerely hope you are not saying you would do that.

I wholeheartedly agree with Dixieman. What a fine example this sets for a kid who already has a serious issues with being a law abiding citizen.

KSL
KSL 09/29/11 - 06:52 pm
No, Bogar, I don't think

No, Bogar, I don't think Dixieman would. Ever heard of visiting someone in prison? Not that I've had to experience that, but I do know prisoners are allowed visitors.

EricBogar
EricBogar 09/29/11 - 07:04 pm
what he did wasn't right but

what he did wasn't right but it wasn't wrong either. No parent wants to see their kids go to jail and it's only human nature to bend or break the law to prevent that.

KSL
KSL 09/29/11 - 07:06 pm
No, I'm living in the real

No, I'm living in the real world. If one of my sons broke the law, I would not break another one to protect him. What world are you living in? I noticed on the other resurrected thread you stated that the son came from a good family. Good families are not headed by fathers who are attorneys and who resort to allegedly breaking a law to get their drugged up sons off the hook.

KSL
KSL 09/29/11 - 07:07 pm
Attempting to influence a

Attempting to influence a witness is not wrong?? Well, it is, and especially if you are an attorney. I hope LLC yanks his license pronto.

KSL
KSL 09/29/11 - 07:08 pm
By the way, was this kid

By the way, was this kid denied bail??? After all, he is sitting in jail right now.

EricBogar
EricBogar 09/29/11 - 07:12 pm
I don't believe you, so it

I don't believe you, so it really doesn't matter what you say....I've seen good people do bad things, so this doesn't surprise me at all.....People that say the same thing as you..."I'd never do that" hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha whatever....You never know till you're faced with something like your son or daughter going to prison for a very long time. People always make bad decisions. It's life...If you haven't made any then good for you Jesus.

EricBogar
EricBogar 09/29/11 - 07:21 pm
I seriously feel like I'm in

I seriously feel like I'm in the Twilight Zone sometimes. I can't stand when people think they're perfect when it's not naturally possible.

KSL
KSL 09/29/11 - 07:28 pm
That's father's fault is that

That's father's fault is that he did not take measures to deal with his son's problems before his son was resulting to armed robbery. That's one of your so-called good people?

KSL
KSL 09/29/11 - 07:30 pm
I don't know what circles you

I don't know what circles you travel in, but those circles are definitely not like any I have been exposed to.

KSL
KSL 09/29/11 - 07:32 pm
And people don't ALWAYS make

And people don't ALWAYS make bad decisions.

Riverman1
Riverman1 09/29/11 - 07:37 pm
Eric Bogar, I completely get

Eric Bogar, I completely get your realism and sentiments. I appreciate everything you said...really. Still there comes a time if you really want to help when you let the son or daughter face the consequences in hopes it will turn turn their lives around. When they end up doing armed robberies, it's about rock bottom.

EricBogar
EricBogar 09/29/11 - 07:41 pm
you wasn't there so you don't

you wasn't there so you don't know what he tried to do to get his Son off of drugs..you're speculating. Doesn't sound like he was giving him money for his drug habit or he wouldn't have robbed anyone. Maybe he was showing his son tough love and it backfired. Maybe after it backfired he felt responsible.

EricBogar
EricBogar 09/29/11 - 07:45 pm
people always make bad

people always make bad decisions...You're trying to say you've never slept with someone without a condom on or someone you barely knew..Never smoked weed or drank underage? Never got someone pregnant that you shouldn't? never drank alcohol and drove? are you for real? Never had a speeding ticket? never cheated in school? Never cheated on your girl? OK

KSL
KSL 09/29/11 - 07:46 pm
"You weren't," by the way.

"You weren't," by the way. Just letting you know that for future job interviews, should that come up.

Sounds like a pack of excuses you are making up for the dad.

EricBogar
EricBogar 09/29/11 - 07:53 pm
I know I wasn't but I'm also

I know I wasn't but I'm also not going to accuse anyone of anything without all of the facts. I'm not going to label him as a bad person for screwing up either. He knows what he did wrong and now has to pay for it..It's a chance he took and got set up and caught. People do insane things out of love for another person.