Stepfather now faces murder charge

Charges against an Augusta stepfather have been upgraded to murder after his 2-year-old step-son died Wednesday, according to Richmond County sheriff’s Capt. Scott Peebles.

Darian Xavier Thomas, 20, of the 3500 block of Shadybrook Drive, has been held on charges of cruelty of children in the first degree since Aug. 19.

Keontrez Demitrius Sherman was admitted to Medical College of Georgia Hospital on Aug. 18 after Thomas called 911 reporting the boy was unresponsive.

The child was on life support until 4 p.m. Wednesday when he passed away.

Medical experts said Keontrez’s injuries were consistent with abuse and Shaken Baby Syndrome, according to Peebles. Thomas reportedly told deputies the boy had run in to a wall several days before.

storiesihaveread
storiesihaveread 08/26/10 - 02:59 pm
Darian will have a long time

Darian will have a long time to think what he done to a helpless toddler. I hope he "runs into a wall" while in prison

esmc68
esmc68 08/26/10 - 03:12 pm
Its time to sharpen your

Its time to sharpen your shanks inmates.

Mudfish
Mudfish 08/26/10 - 03:44 pm
Shanks are too good for him.

Shanks are too good for him. I think inmates can think up a more fitting punishment.

boredinaug
boredinaug 08/26/10 - 03:53 pm
What is wrong with people? My

What is wrong with people? My husband and I have a 2 year old son and this just makes me sick. It's sad to think about the conditions so many children must grow up in...not to mention the abuse suffered at the hands of those who are supposed to love and protect them. This dude deserves whatever prison has for him.

vrnmc2000
vrnmc2000 08/26/10 - 05:46 pm
It is times like this that I

It is times like this that I truly do not understand God. I haven't been able to get pregnant and bring a child into this world that would be loved and well taken care of. But some idiot like this guy can have child and just kill it. I just do not understand that. I hope he rots in jail forever. Times like this I think the appropriate punishment would be to abuse him and shake him like he did his toddler.

augusta citizen
augusta citizen 10/19/12 - 03:33 pm

CABoatright
CABoatright 08/27/10 - 05:58 am
LOL MudFish I agree w/you!

LOL MudFish I agree w/you! Then again, we can save some tax dollars---put him down immediately.

justus4
justus4 08/27/10 - 07:15 am
See how quick charges are

See how quick charges are "upgraded" on this tragedy, which is a clear indication of a pattern. Regardless of the facts, the maximum of charges are pursued with reckless abandon. And this is how my tax dollars are being spent...

lsmith
lsmith 08/27/10 - 08:08 am
justus4: I guess the pattern

justus4: I guess the pattern you speak of refers to something black?
Perhaps you'd just perfer that the sheriff downgrade the charges to accidental homicide and send him on his way. Don't forget that a young black child died at this guys hand. Please find a way to communicate without attaching "blackness" to everything.

BCG
BCG 08/27/10 - 12:16 pm
Justus4... I can overlook

Justus4... I can overlook your political views but Really you are standing up for a creature that abused and finally killed a defensless 2 year old. Get over yourself and look to help people not make excuses for them. I don't care what color this person or any other person might be that harms a child they deserve the max in order to enlighten others that this is the wrong way. At least if a person decides that they can not handle a child then knowing the severity of the punishment of hurting this child is so great maybe they will think of adoption then someone like VRNMC can have a child to nuture.