Notice of referendum $236,000,000 General obligation bonds The consolidated school district of Aiken County Notice is hereby given that a Referendum will be held in The Consolidated School District of Aiken County, South Carolina (the "School District"), on May 25, 2010, for the purpose of submitting to all persons qualified to vote in the School District, under the Constitution and laws of the State of South Carolina, the following question:
Shall the Board of Education of The Consolidated School District of Aiken County, South Carolina (the "School District"), be authorized to issue, at one time or from time to time, general obligation bonds of the School District in a principal amount not exceeding $236,000,000, the proceeds of which shall be used to finance the cost of land acquisition, constructing, improving, equipping (including technology), expanding, renovating and repairing school facilities within the School District, as follows:
* Aiken High School - Substantial renovations, rehabilitation and improvements at the current location
* North Augusta High School - Acquisition of land and constructing, equipping and furnishing a new school facility including athletic facilities
* Ridge Spring-Monetta Elementary/Middle School - Constructing, equipping and furnishing a new school facility on the site of Ridge Spring-Monetta High School
* Leavelle McCampbell Middle School - Constructing, equipping and furnishing a new school facility on land presently available
* Aiken County Career and Technology Center - Renovations, improvements and additions at the current location and career and technology enhancements at Wagener-Salley and Ridge Spring-Monetta high schools (substantial improvement and rehabilitation)
* Jackson Middle School/New Ellenton Middle School - Constructing, equipping and furnishing a new consolidated school facility on existing Silver Bluff site
Such question is being submitted pursuant to Article X, Section 15 of the Constitution of the State of South Carolina, 1895, as amended; Section 11-27-50 of the Code of Laws of South Carolina 1976; Title 59, Chapter 71, Article 1, Code of Laws of South Carolina, 1976, as amended; and a Resolution of the Board of Trustees of the School District adopted March 9, 2010.
If a majority of the qualified electors of the School District voting in the Referendum approve the issuance of not exceeding $236,000,000 General Obligation Bonds (the "Bonds"), the Bonds may be issued by the School District either as a single issue or from time to time as several separate issues.
The Bonds (exclusive of refunding bonds) shall be issued within five (5) years of the date of the Referendum. The proceeds of the Bonds will be used to defray the costs (including architectural, engineering, legal and related fees) of land acquisition and constructing, improving, equipping (including technology), expanding, renovating and repairing school facilities within the School District.