Appling man dies in early morning fire

A hot burner being used to heat the home caught other items on fire, igniting the fatal blaze. SPECIAL

An Appling man was killed early Tuesday in a fire started by a hot plate to heat up his home.

Charles Dorsey, 57, was found inside his house at 5507 Leopard Lane, according to a news release from the Insurance and Safety Fire Commissioner’s Office.

Officials said the investigation revealed that a portable double burner hot plate Dorsey was using ignited flammable materials.

The fire was reported around 7:53 a.m. The fatality is Georgia’s first reported fire death for 2018, the news release said.

 

More

Sat, 01/20/2018 - 21:01

Families enjoy Fun Fest at Futurity