Historic Augusta, Inc., has announced its 2017 award recipients for outstanding historic preservation projections in the city.
The “Bill and Marie Bush Friend of Preservation Award” was presented to the Creel-Harison Foundation for its dedication and involvement with Historic Augusta, Inc., and the Boyhood Home of President Woodrow Wilson, according to a news release from the organization. The Bush Award was established in honor of Historic Augusta founders Bill and Marie “Frenchie” Bush in 2012 and is awarded at the discretion of the Awards Committee to recognize outstanding service to Historic Augusta and its mission of historic preservation in Augusta and Richmond County.
Other recipients honored Thursday at Historic Augusta’sannual meeting held at the Augusta Country Club were:
• Watkinson & Company Grocers Building, 215 12th St.. Built circa 1900 and located in the Augusta Downtown Historic District, this vacant commercial brick building, formerly a bicycle shop, is a certified rehabilitation tax credit project, creating one retail space on the first floor and one residential apartment on the second floor. Architectural design was by Christopher Booker and Associates, and construction by Peach Contractors. Presented to Krista and Sean Wight.
• William H. Mays, III Building, Office of the Public Defender, 902 Greene St., Downtown Historic District. Built in 1959-60 and designed by Eve and Stulb, the former Augusta Richmond County Library was included in Historic Augusta’s Endangered Properties List in 2011 after it became vacant. The City of Augusta began rehabilitation work in December 2015, and the Office of the Public Defender moved in on December 5, 2016. New architectural design was by Studio 3 Design Group and the general contractor was R. W. Allen Construction. Presented to the Office of the Public Defender, Katherine Mason, Circuit Public Defender and the City Administrator Janice Allen Jackson and other city staff.
• The Benjamin Franklin Jones House, 656 Milledge Road, Summerville Historic District. Originally constructed circa 1909, significant additions and rebuilding occurred in 1926 for Mr. and Mrs. Benjamin Franklin Jones of Pittsburgh as a winter residence. Pittsburgh architect Brandon Smith designed the house, which was listed to Historic Augusta’s Endangered Properties List for 2016 after becoming vacant. In 1932, the gardens, designed by Cleveland landscape architects Pitkin and Mott, were featured in the Garden Club of America’s publication featuring Augusta and Aiken gardens. Purchased in 2015, the house and gardens have been carefully restored. Architectural and interior design were by Cheatham Fletcher Scott, with construction by general contractor Allen + Batchelor. Presented to Reid Pannill who received the award on behalf of the owners.
• EDTS National Headquarters, 1721 Goodrich St., Augusta Canal National Landmark District. Known as Building 4 on the Sibley Mill site, this former cotton warehouse is the first completed phase of the Augusta Cyberworks campus. The 32,500 square foot building was rehabilitated to provide a state-of-the-art facility, allowing EDTS to remain in Augusta. Architectural design was by Christopher Booker & Associates, and general contracting by Augusta American Building Company. Presented to EDTS, Will McGee, CFO and Craig Tarkenton, CTO.
Historic Augusta also gave one award for new construction. This award category was developed in 2013 to recognize owners of newly-constructed buildings that complement historic neighborhoods.
Projects are selected that respect the location, design, materials, and other character-defining features of surrounding historic buildings.
• The awardee for 2017 is 2326 Kings Way, designed by owner Albert F. Cheatham. Of the many homes Cheatham has designed throughout his career, this is the first he has designed and built for himself. Mr. Cheatham was inspired by architectural principals and features of Thomas Jefferson’s Monticello, and Fiske Kimball’s Tusculum, both in Virginia.