Coroner says local Furman student died of Fentanyl overdose

The cause of death of a Furman University student who died the day before his graduation has been released.


According to a report in The Greenville News, the Greenville County Coroner’s Office announced Friday that Joseph Blake Hadden, 23, of Augusta, died of ‘acute fentanyl toxicity.’

A Furman University student and 2012 graduate of the Academy of Richmond County, Hadden was discovered unresponsive in bed on Friday, May 5, by roommates who contacted authorities. He was pronounced dead at 3:40 a.m.

Hadden was set to graduate from the university at commencement exercises that Saturday evening.

Hadden was a member of the golf team at Furman from 2012-2015 and competed at one event, the 2014 Furman Intercollegiate.

At the Academy of Richmond County, he was a member of the golf team for four years under coach Ken Johnson.

Furman student from Augusta found dead Friday


Sun, 02/18/2018 - 20:50

Georgia private school to drug-test students

Associated Press

Read more