Across Georgia

  • Follow News

5-year-old dies after candle burns home

MILLEN, GA. — Authorities say a 5-year-old east Georgia girl died Friday after a candle sparked a fire in her home, which had lost power after this week’s ice storm.

Glenn Allen, a spokesman for the state fire marshal’s office, says the girl’s parents are both hospitalized for burns and smoke inhalation.

Allen said firefighters were called to the home in Millen about 5:40 a.m. Fri­day. Allen said the father escaped the burning home but went back inside to try and rescue his daughter.

The family was using a generator and a space heater, but fire investigators determined that an unattended candle in a bathroom sparked the blaze.

Tracks in snow lead to burglary suspect

ATLANTA — Atlanta police say they followed tracks through the snow to arrest a man on burglary charges.

An alarm went off early Thursday at K&K Soul
Food in northwest Atlanta. Police spokesman John Chafee said officers arrived to find footprints and tire tracks leading away from the business, which was closed.

Chafee said officers followed the snow tracks for about a mile to a home. He says inside they found a gas generator with wheels that matched the snow tracks, plus wet shoes that matched the snowy footprints.

Chafee says officers arrested 58-year-old Kenneth Ray Evans, who was sleeping on a sofa in the house.

Woman imprisoned in boy’s heat death

WARNER ROBINS, GA. — A Warner Robins woman is going to jail for two years after pleading guilty in the heat-related death of a child at a home day care.

Houston County prosecutors say Shelia Henderson pleaded guilty to involuntary manslaughter in the death of 3-year-old Andrew Leighlan Calloway in July 2011.

Authorities say Hen­der­son was caring for the boy at an unlicensed home day care when he was left in the locked vehicle after a lunch outing. The boy was in the car for about an hour in 95-degree heat and died of heat stroke. Henderson was initially indicted on charges including felony murder.

Comments (1) Add comment
ADVISORY: Users are solely responsible for opinions they post here and for following agreed-upon rules of civility. Posts and comments do not reflect the views of this site. Posts and comments are automatically checked for inappropriate language, but readers might find some comments offensive or inaccurate. If you believe a comment violates our rules, click the "Flag as offensive" link below the comment.
corgimom
32182
Points
corgimom 02/15/14 - 04:10 am
0
0
Story #1- if you ever want to

Story #1- if you ever want to burn down your house, candles are the way to go. I don't allow lit candles in my house, ever.

Back to Top

Search Augusta jobs