Paddling still common outside metro Atlanta

ATLANTA — Corporal punishment is still going strong in some rural Georgia schools, where educators paddled students more than 16,000 times last year.

No traditional public school in Atlanta and nine nearby school districts has paddled a child since at least 2007, but corporal punishment is used in more than half of the state’s 180 school districts, according to discipline data analyzed by The Atlanta Journal-Constitution. Corporal punishment makes up only a fraction of other disciplinary measures used.

Numbers obtained from the Georgia Department of Education show that 97 school districts last year adhered to the axiom about sparing the rod and spoiling the child.

See the rest of the story on the home page of The Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

dichotomy
dichotomy 11/03/13 - 09:46 pm
The only problems with

The only problems with corporal punishment is that we don't use it often enough and that we don't use it everywhere.

Truth Matters
Truth Matters 11/03/13 - 10:35 pm
Dichotomy, I am curious, are

Dichotomy, I am curious, are you in favor of corporal punishment for adults, too? If not, why?

KSL
KSL 11/03/13 - 10:51 pm
Evidently a little jail time

Evidently a little jail time or probation doesn't work.

Dixieman
Dixieman 11/03/13 - 11:04 pm
Well...

...this is why people in Atlanta have such poor manners and criminal records. Paddling is occasionally appropriate.

galaxygrl
galaxygrl 11/03/13 - 11:39 pm
Parenting

If you are an adult you should be smarter than your children and be able to change behaviors without hitting them. Hitting is a lazy solution that teaches aggression and plays itself out by third grade with other children. I know the older people here won't agree, but it is wrong. Don't use the bible, the staff was used to gently guide sheep back into the fold. Sheep were too valuable to be hit or beaten.

JRC2024
JRC2024 11/04/13 - 12:49 am
I got paddled some in school

I got paddled some in school and at home when I acted up. The paddling did not last long either. I shaped up and I am not aggressive.

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/04/13 - 07:31 am
Some kids need it

Maybe this explains the results we see ......out of hand kids running the school system.

jrbfromga
jrbfromga 11/04/13 - 08:02 am
Galaxygirl?

Your moniker is fitting...what galaxy are you from? Paddling, if done judiciously at home and at school is the most appropriate way to quickly correct behavior. It must be done with a certain degree of ceremony, so that the fear and shame of paddling is more than the physical act itself. I know, because I was such a subject. It was all for good!

Truth Matters
Truth Matters 11/04/13 - 08:11 am
A thumbs up Galaxygrl. Almost

A thumbs up Galaxygrl.
Almost invariably teachers who want to rely on paddling lack creativity in seeking alternative ways to guide and influence behavior. Thus paddling becomes more about the adult's state of mind than the child.

Discipline is absolutely required to teach, but discipline is not synonymous with paddling. I have encountered many students who were paddled but were still undisciplined.

Many argue that schools should not be expected to discipline. Yes, parents should discipline at home, but highly effective teachers discipline also as a matter of teaching. It's hard to separate the two.

Casting_Fool
Casting_Fool 11/04/13 - 09:23 am
Galaxygirl, please get your

Galaxygirl, please get your references right. A shepherd's staff is used as a hiking aid, a rescue instrument, as an aid to examine potentially dangerous terrain features, and as a weapon if the need arose.

Shepherds use their voice to guide their sheep, and maybe a dog, too. Have you ever seen how a sheep dog guides sheep? The kid's movie "Babe" can provide some clues as to that.

The threat of corporal punishment works. We "older people" were raised with it and frankly, we're a far better generation for it. Especially if compared to younger generations and their selfish, careless, narcissistic, greedy, and self-pleasing take on life.

Punishment serves the purpose of teaching people to mind the boundaries set in place to preserve freedom for society as a whole. The threat of punishment gives people the opportunity to avoid the punishment.

The punishment has to be severe enough to generate alarm in the child (or adult), in order to provoke a proper response.

My father paddled me as I needed it, and I turned out fine. I learned respect for the law, respect for others, and am very grateful for his discipline.

Times have changed. When I was 5 or 6 years old, I threw a screaming, on the floor beating my little hands and feet, tantrum in a JC Pennys. My father stood calmly by and waited for me to run out of steam. Then he proceeded to tear a strip off of my tender hide right there in the store in front of God and the other shoppers.

I'm nearly certain that folks gathered around and applauded my father's efforts to correct my behavior. I'm pretty sure that God was there somewhere, too, watching my father's love in action.

If the punishment doesn't create fear in the miscreant, it won't work to correct behavior. I never threw another fit like that, ever. The rod works. You just have to use it in love, with restraint, consistently, and fairly.

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/04/13 - 09:58 am
yes casting

Even animals know it works.....all throughout history.

Bizkit
Bizkit 11/04/13 - 10:20 am
You can't discipline students

You can't discipline students now-period. Without discipline your teaching is less effective-hence we have the under-educated students of our failed education system. I have a long list of friends who would attest corporal punishment likely kept them from a sure path to prison-me too (course it didn't keep all of them). I remember when the teacher "had" to be treated with respect by students-now the administration usually insists the teachers have to respect the students.

PhiloPublius
PhiloPublius 11/04/13 - 10:35 am
Pain is the universal language!

Punishment for wrongdoing is what this world lacks more than anything. If people today realized that there were consequences for their actions, we would have much less criminal activity. Some of you keep referring to it as "hitting the child" which is not even close to what a paddling is. When done right, spanking is done out of love and followed up by explaining to them why they were punished.

It worked for me, and it will work for my children. Of course, they aren't in the government schools anyway. So that is even less i need to worry about.

raul
raul 11/04/13 - 10:41 am
Sounds like an issue that

Sounds like an issue that would be ripe for a grad student dissertation.

Bizkit
Bizkit 11/04/13 - 11:03 am
Way more violence in school

Way more violence in school sports than any concerns of paddling. The negative effects on their bodies and brain are documented from something that is held with high esteem with lots of boosters and supporters. Sheesh.

Red Headed Step Child
Red Headed Step Child 11/04/13 - 11:06 am
Consequences

Yep - there is definitely a lack of fear from consequences. Nothing makes a kid braver than to "know" that they can get away with their behavior. What's the deterrent?

I can tell you, in my youth all the deterrent I needed was the threat of a whooping. It only took one time, and I toed the line.

Bizkit
Bizkit 11/04/13 - 11:34 am
True Red but I wasn't as

True Red but I wasn't as smart as you and had to have the "hell" beat of me. Cause that's where I was goin'. Ho,ho,ho.

galaxygrl
galaxygrl 11/04/13 - 11:40 am
Corporal Punishment

I always know there will be naysayers when this topic comes up. I appreciate your opinions and perhaps your parents didn't punish you when they were angry and waited until they could talk to you with reason and explain themselves. However, when I was growing up punish would include being smacked in the face, hit with what ever was at hand and could be excessive if my parents were angry or upset by the situation. We chose to raise our child hands off. A proper look from Dad or conversation from me has worked well for us. She is bright, follows the rules and will be graduating from a major university this coming fall. This has worked well for us. And I am not young by any means for those of you that want to put that label on me.

galaxygrl
galaxygrl 11/04/13 - 11:45 am
Casting and Bizkit

Casting,at 5 years of age you should have been past the age of pitching fits in Penney's, so there was some thing else there. Bizkit, respect is a two way street and should be taught at home. I know the teachers that respected me made me want to work harder and perform better than the ones that yelled at their students.

Bizkit
Bizkit 11/04/13 - 12:25 pm
I never yelled at students,

I never yelled at students, but had a few yell at me. Respect is earned-I earned some of theirs and some of them mine. Still hear from some of those students time to time. When I was a young student for a period I didn't I didn't care and my professors didn't respect me -because I didn't respect myself or them. I changed my attitude and many earned my lifelong respect,and some of them I proved myself and earned their lifelong respect. I was always courteous but some professors really
are so impressive and knowledgeable where others not so much. They really helped me to respect myself, believed in me and expected my best, and they inspired me to go on and get two grad degrees. I never knew I had it in me. If they had just "respected"me as I was the diamond in the rough would have never been polished up. Respect isn't a word I throw around lightly. Yelling at me would have been easier to take than their expectations and demands.

Red Headed Step Child
Red Headed Step Child 11/04/13 - 12:41 pm
@galaxygrl

I understand where you're coming from..there's a difference between abuse and discipline. A swat on the fanny is a far cry from being smacked in the face or hit with whatever is at hand. I know some kids I grew up that were never "physically" disciplined, but were verbally abused. That's not any better.

To me, you have to know what discipline influences your children to change their behavior. Every kid is different. Some, all it takes is a "look" - others, a spanking. Some you can beat to hell and back and it won't change a thing. I never beat my children, but I can assure you they got spankings. Not for every infraction, mind you - but the ones where that course of discipline was appropriate.

Thankfully I have good kids and didn't have to administer too many spankings, but when I did it was effective.

Red Headed Step Child
Red Headed Step Child 11/04/13 - 04:48 pm
Looking back

Looking back, I never had a teacher that yelled at us. They didn't have to. I was brought up under the rule that you respected your elders. We didn't give our teachers the lip that kids today do. I've heard of teachers getting F-bombed by their students, getting cursed at with a talent the saltiest of sailors would blush at. What happens to them? They get sent to the office. Maybe suspended. Big deal - they didn't want to be at school anyway.

There are parents that either don't care or are on the other extreme of the spectrum and abuse their kids for the slightest infractions. In the meantime, society continues to go into a downward spiral. I wish I had the answer!

Casting_Fool
Casting_Fool 11/05/13 - 09:19 am
Galaxygirl has raised one

Galaxygirl has raised one compliant child and is now an expert on child rearing. Must be nice.

Great thing that the kid wasn't strong willed and a hellion. Or that mom isn't a teacher. Might have given her a different perspective.

Historic Augusta accused of fraud

The owner of the Goodale House delivered a criminal complaint to the Secretary of State's office accusing Historic Augusta of using his name to win a grant.