Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

RANT TO THE Rich­mond County sheriff’s deputy who flies up Boy Scout Road about 5:35 every morning. Please slow down before you kill someone. You are not in a rush to get to a site; you are in a rush to get to roll call.

IT WOULD HAVE been nice to honor Winston Churchill’s birthday Nov. 30. He was such a great historian and leader.

WHY DON’T WOMEN keep their kids from running all over the store and keep their buggies and kids out of everyone else’s way?

I’LL BE GLAD when that low-income housing is ready on Columbia County. I have to get ahead of this stormwater fee.

EVERY WEEK WHEN I go into the grocery store the price has gone up on the same item. Now we can’t afford what we need or like. We learn to do without. Is there an end?

RAVES TO THE ANGELS who picked up our tab on Nov. 21 at the Waffle House. Our daughter was in an accident. We appreciate what they did for us. It was a difficult time.

DOES MARION WILLIAMS still have drag strip stars in his eyes?

RANT DIRECTED at Santa’s personal hygiene and appearance in the Christmas parade Saturday. We found it disgusting that Santa’s hair and beard were dingy and dirty. The suit Santa wore was in definite need of cleaning.

RANT TO THE RUDE people at the Christmas parade. Do you come to enjoy the parade or beg for candy? You were so rude to the people and students in the parade, all because they did not have any candy. To the students whose feelings were hurt because you did not have candy, you all look great and behaved excellently.

TO ALL YOU wannabe NASCAR drivers: River Watch Parkway is not a race track. Bump drafting is not cool. Riding my bumper, flashing your lights or waving your arms like a primate will not turn my car into a magic carpet, which will leap over the cars in front of me.

allhans
allhans 12/11/12 - 11:33 am
Union workers are still

Union workers are still protesting in Detroit ...seems they want to take away a persons right to be free of rich, white union bosses.
It makes a person chuckle to see how fast liberals can change their stance.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 12/11/12 - 11:43 am
Liberalism....ideas so good

Liberalism....ideas so good they have to be mandatory!

dichotomy
dichotomy 12/11/12 - 12:09 pm
"Hard times are cyclical and

"Hard times are cyclical and Americans have experienced many"

Glad to hear it really wasn't Bush's fault. Just normal cyclical.

" nor will our current economic downturn (presently recovering under the Obama administration)"

It's not recovering. It's treading water. And all of the "bad things" contained in Obamacare, Obama taxes, and Obama energy policies were purposely delayed to kick in after the election. So we are treading water and will be getting another few kicks in the stomach. I agree that there are cycles in the economy, just as there are cycles in global warming. But you can do things that make a normal cycle worse. It remains to be seen how bad things will get....and oh by the way, there is nothing cyclical about Greece's current situation. It's what is called a "man made" entitlement collapse.

Funny that you mentioned Hoover.

"Hoover tried to combat the ensuing Great Depression with volunteer efforts, public works projects such as the Hoover Dam, tariffs such as the Smoot-Hawley Tariff, AN INCREASE IN THE TOP TAX BRACKET from 25% to 63% and INCREASES IN CORPORATE TAXES.[3] THESE INITIATIVES DID NOT PRODUCE ECONOMIC RECOVERY DURING HIS TERM, but served as the groundwork for various policies incorporated in Franklin D. Roosevelt's New Deal."

Raised the top tax brackets. Didn't fix the problem. Sound familiar? Then we got Roosevelt's New Deal. More socialism. That really didn't fix anything either. Kind of put us in another "treading water" situation with socialist spending until WWII and it's generally accepted that WWII wartime industrialization finally brought growth and prospertiy back to the economy. But we will never have "industiralization" to save us because we have implemented every tax, energy, enviromental, labor, and free trade policy possible to drive our industrial jobs out of the country. There's nothing left to snatch our feet out of the fire.

So you are right about one thing GGAP. If you are old enough to have been around during Hoover, yes he was worse than Carter. And he did the same things Obama is doing and it failed. Raise taxes on the top earners and corporate taxes and "stimulus" public works spending. Did not fix things. Made things worse. Neither did Roosevelt's socialist New Deal fix things. But don't worry. The results of Obama's Mid East policies will provide opportunities for war time spending to fuel the economy in future years.

Jane18
Jane18 12/11/12 - 12:22 pm
R & R's #5 and #9

#5-No, there is no end, it will continue. Oh, there may be a lull here and there, but that's for deception purposes. And guess what? Soooooo many will still believe in their "leader". #9-Yes, they are! A major part of the reason for rant #5. Oh, and GGpap, that rainbow you spoke of, it will not be anything like you think .............

scgator
scgator 12/11/12 - 02:01 pm
"I THINK THE Obama

"I THINK THE Obama administration and the Democrats in Washington are the most deceptive people this country has ever known. I don’t trust anything they do or say."

Recently there was talk of illegal voting by way of erroneous addresses, etc. Here is a list of PUBLIC access Databases where ALL of the correct info can be found; it is a simple matter of A/RC linking the databases to cross reference and your voter problem is gone..............if the public can find out these things, why will the A/RC admins not do it ??????

http://www.gsccca.org/ Here you can search by home / property address

http://appweb.augustaga.gov/Graveside_Search/graveside_default.asp Here you can search by name for deceased voters.

http://www.blackbookonline.info/GA-Augusta-Richmond.aspx Here you can find out almost anything from Augusta / Richmond County Databases.

Using a couple of competent IT personel, a "patch" link could be done in 7-10 days

countyman
19545
countyman 12/11/12 - 03:14 pm
What happen so fast?

Wouldn't it make sense to build the stadium near the area who attracts more tourist, more expensive in terms of real estate, more foot traffic, more local culture, more events/festivals, and more jobs?

Cal Ripken and the majority of developers obviously know that downtown Augusta is the better choice. The only way he'll move to North Augusta if Dr. Azziz leaves him no choice, and he can't find another site downtown. The CBD is already safe, and the return investment would be much higher.

Lol... The stadium is all of a sudden a good idea, will magically save tax payers money, etc because it's located in North Augusta... What happen to the multiple comments about Cal Ripken paying for his own stadium? Why are taxpayers involved?

I don't mind if they move to North Augusta, but I think it's funny how the comments change so quickly. Everyday we had people commenting on here who didn't know all of the details. Before they were quick to oppose spending any tax money, but as of today there's zero comments about tax payers. To be fair, the Augusta Chronicle is always full of the sky is falling in Richmond County, but nowhere else in the CSRA. The comments about how the baseball stadium is now this great idea prove that.

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/11/12 - 03:19 pm
I believe the stadium located

I believe the stadium located on the river in N. Augusta will draw more fans. People from Columbia Cty and Aiken Cty will be much more likely to attend games and events in that safe and beautiful area. We don't know who is going to pay for it. Who said the SC taxpayers are involved? This could be all private investment. Hey, maybe Jim Jacoby is involved as we heard many times before with the GGHOF site.

countyman
19545
countyman 12/11/12 - 03:38 pm
There's tons of more Columbia

The stadium in Lake Olmstead had record attendances, and it's located next to a housing projects(mostly older people). I'm positive the location on the riverfront would attract even more people. Go visit the Saturday Market on the River, and see the people from all over the CSRA.

The CBD is more expensive than North Augusta in 2012, and I'm sure that's because of local demand.

There's tons of more Columbia and Aiken tags in downtown Augusta, than Columbia/Richmond tags in downtown North Augusta. Downtown Augusta crushes North Augusta in terms of tourist.

Why do you think downtown Augusta was the first choice? The riverfront of Augusta is beautiful and safe... Did you forget about the $100 million Watermark before the recession? Like I said before, I don't mind if they were to open in North Augusta. I'm just saying the entire project would become larger, and have a greater return on investment in downtown Augusta.

Before today you didn't worry about the details, and would quickly tell us how RC taxpayers were on the hook. Now you're bringing up private investment lol, because it might locate to North Augusta.

dwb619
dwb619 12/11/12 - 03:35 pm
River @2:19

I don't believe the city of North Augusta has as "deep" pockets as Augusta-Richmond county. I am interested as to where the financing would come from.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 12/11/12 - 03:38 pm
Michigan teachers prove that

Michigan teachers prove that teaching is not what is important to them by calling in sick to protest their legislature giving the workers the right to decide whether or not they want to join the union. Freedom on choice, protested by union thugs....gotta love it.

rebellious
20514
rebellious 12/11/12 - 04:03 pm
SeenitB4 said

Also a good morning to Rebellious

Whenever he arrives....he is our Pit Bull with an ATTITUDE.....:)
Who me?

Had to work today, end of year clean-ups.

Watched Grapes of Wrath last night. So sad a time in history with the dust bowl and depression ripped families apart. Guvmint started many programs to help people get back on their feet. Good intentions which have been so distorted and exploited over the years. In the movie, those poor people wanted to work, Not so much today. I highly recommend watching (or rewatching) as a lesson and possibly a predicter of what is to come.

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/11/12 - 04:23 pm
I could call you our bell sheep..:)Reb

Believe me I know what you mean....it was a time that gov help was sorely needed & not just for feeding babies....
I know from some in my family (I hate to say) think now the gov owes them support....more babies more money....how did this happen??? When we talk about freebies sometimes we KNOW too often how easily some fall into the habit of gimmie gimmie....It was so different for us coming up & maybe that is why we have a hard line view of todays world...
I don't understand it---can't condone it---& know it doesn't work....it cripples the person in the long run....we will have to go back to limits on support.......it will be ugly for some but we have to do it..

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/11/12 - 04:36 pm
busy bee

I have to get busy here.....

Interesting Right to work states....

The rep states that voted for Romney--almost...

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/11/12 - 04:46 pm
kids will be kids...LOL

At Dinner Little Johnny Was asked To Lead In Prayer.
Little Johnny : “But I Dont Know How To Pray?”
Dad : “Just Pray for your Family Members, Friends and Neighbours, The Poor, Etc” Little Johnny started the Prayer :

Dear Lord, Thank you for our visitors and their Children, who finished all my Cookies and Ice Cream. Bless them so they wont come again. Forgive our Neighbor’s Son, Who removed my Sister’s clothes and Wrestled with her on her Bed. This coming christmas, please send clothes to all those poor naked Ladies on my Daddy’s Computer and Provide shelter for the homeless men who use Mom’s room When Daddy is at work.

Amen

Dinner was cancelled

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/11/12 - 05:03 pm
DWB619, I wouldn't wish a

DWB619, I wouldn't wish a stadium on taxpayers anywhere. I'm guessing it will be privately financed. The demographics of North Augusta are fantastic. They have a high per capita income and the population grew by 21% from the 2000 to 2010 census. Compare the demographics with the current area that reflects the old Augusta city before consolidation.

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 12/11/12 - 05:20 pm
Driving conditions...

Blinkers are built into cars for a reason. Use them! I don't care if you have twisted your head 360 degrees to check before you switch lanes or turn. There is ALWAYS a blind spot. Also, when it is overcast, foggy or raining it is extremely important to use your appropriate headlights. Sure, they don't usually help YOU see any better, but that is not the point, it is helpful for other drivers and pedestrians to see YOU and gauge your speed. People that don't follow these simple rules of the road, then tailgate, weave in and out of traffic without signaling and speed 10 mph and more over the speed limit are criminals as far as I'm concerned and a hazard to everyone, INCLUDING themselves!
Wake up before you end up hurting someone or worse!

countyman
19545
countyman 12/11/12 - 06:35 pm
How can the stadium magically

How can the stadium magically become privately funded? Nobody knew all of the details before, and now it's private investment.

The population of North Augusta is only around 25k... Trust me, developers won't be comparing the old city of Augusta versus North Augusta. There's over 200k people living in Richmond County, and nothing huge is build for one particularly area. No developer is going to build anything huge downtown, and not look at the demographics of West Augusta, etc.

All you have to do is ask Cal Ripken what's the better location.. This is nothing against North Augusta, but downtown Augusta has the greater potential. North Augusta will never be able to attract the number of tourist for example.

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/11/12 - 07:19 pm
North Augusta may only have 25 K

North Augusta may only have 25 k, but the old city of Augusta only had 44 K, plus the demographics of N. Augusta are super. Consolidation of Richmond County didn't increase the population in the old city. On the other hand, N. Augusta grew by 21% between the censuses.

It's easy for people in West Augusta, Columbia County and Aiken to reach a stadium there. I wish them well and if they are able to attract private financing to the degree to make the Greenjackets want to pull out of Augusta, the area speaks for itself. We'll just have to wait and see if it pans out and who is paying.

countyman
19545
countyman 12/11/12 - 07:26 pm
Nobody is viewing it as

The Greenjackets don't want to pull out of Augusta. The GGHF site is clearly the property Ripken Group wanted from the beginning. I know you have a bias against Richmond County, but please stop for one moment.

Why do you keep comparing North Augusta versus the old city of Augusta? The population of the old city of Augusta is higher in 2012 compared to consolidation. After the GGHF site was transferred to GHSU, nothing was mentioned about the city of Augusta taxpayers.. Yet, the same people continued on with the previous statements about Cal Ripken building his own stadium.

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/11/12 - 07:26 pm
Not Augusta's Loss

Instead of viewing this as Augusta's loss, I view the CSRA as a whole and if a beautiful stadium on the river for all to enjoy can be built with private money, we should all be encouraged. Bob Young said it well when he was asked how he would feel if someone besides Richmond County built a 20 K arena. He said it would be great because it would help the whole CSRA. That's how I would view it even if my focus were mainly on downtown Augusta.

The problem I had with the one in Richmond County is they wanted the taxpayers to give them the land and pay part of the costs. That's as bad as building a convention center and parking garage attached to a private hotel.

Just to clarify, I said this is great if private interests are paying for ALL of it, including the land. LOL, LOL, LOL, LOL!!!

countyman
19545
countyman 12/11/12 - 07:32 pm
Do you really believe North

The TEE Center study clearly said the best choice for the building is next to the Riverwalk, Marriotts, etc.

Do you really believe North Augusta want donate land, or support the project in some kind of way? The city has less money than Augusta, and it's a greater risk in terms of banks lending financing. I'm simply asking where do you get all this 'private investment' talk now compared to before.

I didn't hear Cal Ripken or Deke mention RC tax payers after the land was transferred. Still you and the other's on here had no problem telling us RC taxpayers are paying for it.

Nobody is viewing it as Augusta's loss, but it's funny how the development became this great idea all of a sudden. Why do you suggest North Augusta taxpayers supporting the stadium is considered good, but not for RC taxpayers?

This is why I always laugh when Richmond County decides to build something new. The TEE Center is a bad idea, but Columbia County building a exhibition hall in Grovetown is considered this great thing lol. Let's make a big deal out of Costco receiving tax breaks from Richmond County, but no mention of Columbia County providing incentives for the Bojangles/Zaxby's in Martinez.

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/11/12 - 07:43 pm
C-man

We'll just have to wait to see how the project plays out, but I'm thinking no tax money will be put up.

dwb619
dwb619 12/11/12 - 08:59 pm
land

I could be wrong,but I believe the land in North Augusta is not owned by the city.

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/11/12 - 09:54 pm
DWB, I'm guessing it may be

DWB, I'm guessing it may be part of that park by the river. We'll have to see what the ownership is and so on.

Goat project looking good

In just more than a week since nine goats were assigned to eat overgrown vegetation at an Augusta detention pond, officials and area residents are already noticing a difference.