Man’s body found at waste facility
MONROE, GA. — Detectives in a northeast Georgia county say they’ve begun a homicide investigation after a man’s body was found in trash at a solid waste plant.
Monroe city public works employees found the body Tuesday morning in a refuse trailer at the Walton County plant and notified police.
Authorities are not releasing the man’s identity until after an autopsy is performed at the Georgia Bureau of Investigation’s State Crime Lab.
3 injured when SUV strikes restaurant
ATLANTA — Three people were hurt after an SUV crashed into a Zesto restaurant in Atlanta, authorities said.
The vehicle crashed into the restaurant near Moreland and East Confederate avenues after a chain-reaction collision Wednesday morning, authorities said.
Three people were taken to Grady Memorial Hospital with minor injuries, authorities said.
The business was closed at the time of the accident.
‘Playboy’ says UGA 6th in party schools
ATLANTA — The University of Georgia doesn’t limit its top 10 rankings to football.
Playboy magazine says the Athens campus is the sixth best party school in the country.
The new poll is featured in the October college issue. It marks the seventh time the magazine’s 59 years that editors have ranked party culture on American campuses.
Playboy says it compiles the rankings using 900 data points dealing with sports, nightlife and sex.
UGA did not win any individual category. The University of North Carolina notched the “#1 sex life” designation. Ohio State University topped the sports list. Southern Methodist University in Dallas was noted as having the top nightlife.
In other news
STATE OFFICIALS ARE taking steps to merge the administrations of Central Georgia Technical College in Macon and Middle Georgia Technical College in Warner Robins. Officials say the merger should be accomplished by July 1, creating Georgia’s second-largest technical college.
THE UNIVERSITY of South Carolina has moved some students after finding mold in a dorm. Officials say three of the Sims dorm’s 117 rooms required enough cleaning to move six students. School spokesman Wes Hickman says nine other students with a history of respiratory problems also moved out.