Glynn Moore

News editor and local columnist for The Augusta Chronicle.

Men get a raw deal in their portrayal on television

As I walked through the living room recently, I noticed that the television was tuned to a daytime talk show on which the host was pumping up the audience with some inane question. I think it was, “Why can’t men be more like women?” Or perhaps it was, “What is wrong with men, anyway?”

What surprised me was that the host was a man. His name was Jones Smith, or Smith Jones, or some crazy combination of last names.

“Say,” I told my wife, who was reading while the program played, “didn’t that guy used to be a real journalist on television? And now he’s Oprah lite?”

“He’s making a lot of sense,” she replied without looking up from her book.

No, he wasn’t making sense. He was just indulging in the current broadcast crime against society in which men are considered second-class citizens and are portrayed that way.

TV is one big Man Haters’ Club.

You know what I’m talking about. Name any TV talk show – I don’t watch them, so I can’t help you – and it’s a good bet the topic five days a week will be along the lines of “Why are men such slobs?” or “Men who won’t do the housework” or “My husband never shares his innermost feelings with me.”

Every faux doctor who gets his or her own talk show makes a bundle by stirring up the studio and home audiences with tales of men’s failures, foibles, sins and crimes.

My wife told me there is even a crime show that deals with (well, glorifies, anyway) women who “snap” and kill their husbands. Apparently, a man who kills his wife is branded a cold-blooded, misogynistic murderer – and rightly so – but a woman who returns the favor simply reached her breaking point.

Oops! Snap!

Entertainment programming is no better. Name a drama or sitcom, and the chances are the man is to blame for this week’s troubles. The male character – usually too fat for his clothes and not as smart as his fifth-grader – has to be led out of the wilderness by his patient, understanding wife or girlfriend. For every bumbling Fred Flintstone, trying to watch the game in his man cave, there is a Wilma to switch off the set and nudge him toward evolution.

Commercials are just as bad. If you believe them, men are not capable of selecting the right menu item in a fast-food joint, understanding their cellphones or cable TV (although TV is apparently their all-consuming love), planning a vacation, buying decent clothes, picking out gifts, remembering birthdays – well, you get the idea.

We’re hopeless, I tell you.

Don’t get me wrong. Men and women are different, and I’m glad. We’re made that way, and I think we should honor those natural tendencies we inherit. We each have our strengths and our weaknesses.

But, then, what do I know? I’m just a man.

Craig Spinks
Craig Spinks 12/05/11 - 02:53 am
In contemporary society,

In contemporary society, majority-age males outnumber men by a wide margin.

ConcernedTaxpayer
ConcernedTaxpayer 12/05/11 - 06:43 am
I don't watch much on TV

I don't watch much on TV besides FOX news and RFD-TV, but I have noticed that some shows that my family members watch, bash men and glorify the women. I know there are a lot of sorry men, but there are a lot of sorry women too.

Dixieman
Dixieman 12/05/11 - 07:09 am
Oh, this has been going on

Oh, this has been going on for decades and contributes a great deal to the decay of our society.

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/05/11 - 07:21 am
Another aspect of network TV

Another aspect of network TV is they gear shows to the IQ of the majority of the population and below to draw the most viewers.When you consider a large number of teens who haven't developed intellectually are a portion of the viewers the average IQ level is not too high.

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/05/11 - 08:14 am
In my lifetime of observing

In my lifetime of observing men I have noticed that men are driven by just a few important things & they are= Food-Sex-Sports....& not always in that order......& when they want it they want it NOW......Jeff Foxworthy had it right & if I can find that video I will put it on here.:)

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/05/11 - 08:15 am
You can throw beer in that

You can throw beer in that list..

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/05/11 - 08:22 am
Channing 100Proof 12/05/11 - 08:29 am
Mr. Moore, you are wise

Mr. Moore, you are wise beyond your years.

justthefacts
justthefacts 12/05/11 - 09:18 am
Kinda got rolling with Archie

Kinda got rolling with Archie Bunker and took off from there.

Jane18
Jane18 12/05/11 - 09:37 am
Glynn is correct. I have seen

Glynn is correct. I have seen this happening for the last thirty or so years. And to some of the television programs, I cannot believe how stupid some of them are for making a woman the hero(ine) of the story. Don't get me wrong, I know there are some brave, strong, smart women in this world, but the ones on television, in movies, commercials, they are more like someone I would read about in a fairy tale. I don't mind giving credit where credit is due, but these are women I do not know, and honestly, do not want to know!

Chillen
Chillen 12/05/11 - 10:25 am
Mr. Moore, not all men are

Mr. Moore, not all men are made to look stupid. Mostly its the white men and to some extent white women. They are always the nerdy idiots in commercials or the person being "schooled" by the black person who is "smarter than them", etc.

This is all part of the media & governmental assault on our founding fathers and our history. It's "payback" time.

onlysane1left
onlysane1left 12/05/11 - 10:40 am
I see the commercials for

I see the commercials for shows like Tyler Perry's The Browns and House of Payne and I see very little "schooling" in those male characters. I don't see the point of the comment made at 9:25. Entertainment is given to what the broadcasters see the mass public wants, if you don't like it, don't watch it, and just like Mitt Romney, it will change to please.......

Will
Will 12/05/11 - 10:41 am
If you watch any black TV

If you watch any black TV sitcom or movie, you'll notice all white men are either retarded, gay, or some other undesirable and demeaning type of character. This is racism, straight up and it needs to be addressed.....

Chillen
Chillen 12/05/11 - 12:30 pm
@onlysane1left. The purpose

@onlysane1left. The purpose of the 9:25 is to state fact. Get it now?

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 12/05/11 - 12:34 pm
SB4 says; "In my lifetime of

SB4 says; "In my lifetime of observing men I have noticed that men are driven by just a few important things & they are= Food-Sex-Sports...."

Not all men, Seenit! I was mostly driven by trying to measure up to the standards my parents set for me. If I can be half the person my Mom and Dad were, I will have achieved that success which I desired most!

seenitB4
seenitB4 12/05/11 - 04:58 pm
You are 1of a kind

You are 1of a kind sarge.....extra nice kind......:)

I always fall for the bad boys..

CorporalGripweed
CorporalGripweed 12/05/11 - 06:48 pm
My wife says , that behind

My wife says , that behind every great man, is a woman....rolling her eyes!!

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 12/05/11 - 07:58 pm
I would comment Glynn but my

I would comment Glynn but my wife won't let me.

If a man speaks in the forest and there's no woman there to hear him is he still wrong?

walrus4ever
walrus4ever 12/05/11 - 09:19 pm
TV ads are the most notorious

TV ads are the most notorious for negative casting of white males. In particular, a certain insurance company and a home security firm. Males are dressed in drab attire, slightly obese and with a receding hairline. The script casts them as uninformed, nerdy and in need of guidance from the their female partner. Ive had a thing about this for a long time and its good to see like observations. But since white males have no advocates they are fair game in the media.

nothin2show4it
nothin2show4it 12/05/11 - 10:06 pm
This is news? They are just

This is news? They are just catching onto this? This has been happening for over 20 years. First show I can remember starred Tim the Tool man Taylor.

Willow Bailey
20603
Willow Bailey 12/05/11 - 10:20 pm
I completely agree with

I completely agree with Dixieman. Our society gives the message that men are optional, no longer needed or necessary. No wonder we have a record number of divorces and one parent families.

Seenit said, "men respond well to food + sex + entertainment, (sports)" and that is true as well; but women who add RESPECT to that equation and actively seek to avoid relationship destroying behaviors (such as criticizing, complaining, correcting, condemning, and controlling their men) reap the benefits of living with a truly wonderful spouse.

We all have a "love bank", and we are either depositing or withdrawing from it with every action we take and every word we speak. When the withdrawals are greater than the deposits...it isn't a pretty picture. And that's true in any type of relationship. Women have the power to build their men (homes) up or tear them down. Men do as well.

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 12/05/11 - 10:42 pm
The pity is this is not

The pity is this is not limited to television. It's in employment. What group has my chance of heaven in a lawsuit versus what group of two-fers who cannot be fired without a payoff? (See Augusta government for the answer) It's the disparate sentencing of men and women with identical records; the open bias of the courts in matters of custody and support.

In education as well; boys at every level are failing; the solution? More courses to build girl's self esteem. For the boys, drugs; last numbers I saw reflected boys are seven times more likely to be placed on behaviour control medications as girls. In a jocular mood, it was estimated if the present trends continued as they are, the last boy will enter college in 2057.

If it were only television programs.

Willow Bailey
20603
Willow Bailey 12/05/11 - 10:55 pm
I agree dstewart,sr. The

I agree dstewart,sr. The attitude is modelled at every level. We are a society that teaches that when we have differences, one must be better than the other. We have a master plan that works, but not many want to follow it.