Rants & Raves

TO THE MALE pedestrian along Highway 56/Old Waynesboro Road area. Deliberately stepping into the path of a large oncoming large truck is not a joke. Based on your stare down you didn’t care if the driver would be able to steer around you. Seek help now, please.

THE GOVERNMENT keeps horning in to make things worse. American Airlines kept a planeload of passengers stuck on the ground for several hours and now they’ve been fined $900,000. The free market will square them away better than government can, since people will just stop flying American. But the government has to horn in ’cause that’s what communist governments do.

THE CITY OF AUGUSTA needs to install a left-turn signal on Laney-Walker Boulevard at 12th Street. That intersection is access to two of the three best schools in Richmond County (some of the best in state even!) – A.R. Johnson & C.T. Walker – and it is ridiculously difficult to turn left in the mornings with the amount of traffic that travels through that intersection. Show some appreciation for the hard work the students do and for the parents who get them there and then back home every day by making the process simpler for everyone who goes through that intersection.

I AM A TWICE-WIDOWED military spouse and mother of six that drove 200 miles to Augusta for an Augusta Warrior Project-sponsored military surviving family event at Fort Gordon. While in Augusta, my van broke down. A big rave to Gerald Jones Honda, Rick’s Paint and Body, and Baymont Inn and Suites for rescuing my family. Thank you, Augusta.

RANT TO THE AUGUSTA CHRONICLE. Small content begets small newspaper.

I WOULD LIKE TO rant about the drivers who insist on running yellow and red traffic lights. It is not worth risking life, limb and liberty to run a light to get into Walmart. Nobody wants to get injured, or injure anyone else, regardless of who is at fault!

If you were a witness to the near “T-bone” but for the Grace of God at the Walmart in Evans on Nov. 15 at or about 3:30 p.m. between the little red car heading west and the little dark car running the red to turn across traffic into Walmart, please call the Columbia County Sheriff’s Department to report what you saw. I would like to know there are a few helpful people out there in Columbia County.

ags59
ags59 11/27/11 - 07:35 pm
RANT To the 3 young females

RANT To the 3 young females at the Salvation Army kettle at Walmart in Evans near the middle entrance on Saturday. Not one time did I hear you ring a bell or say Merry Christmas instead you were laughing and cutting up with some guys. I can understand if you were speaking to people as they were coming by but you wern't. Where is your Christmas spirit?

Jake
Jake 11/27/11 - 08:06 pm
The AC rant, small minded

The AC rant, small minded content begets small newspaper as well, especially the editorials.

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/28/11 - 08:14 am
WOW!!!.....AJC sez that 52.4

WOW!!!.....AJC sez that 52.4 BILLION spent in shopping over the weekend....some have the money.

allhans
allhans 11/28/11 - 09:29 am
A late report on CBS

A late report on CBS yesterday said that merchandise was sold at such a low margin that little profit , if any, was shown.

Of course this doesn't mean that the "made in China" folks didn't do well.

happychimer
19624
happychimer 11/28/11 - 09:49 am
Yesterday I was driving on

Yesterday I was driving on I-20 between Belair Rd. and Bobby Jones. the speed limit was 55, and I was going about 63. every vehicle passed me like I was sitting still. Then 4 motorcycles zoomed by, weaving in and out between those fast moving vehicles. I thought for sure one of the riders would get busted wide open.

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 11/28/11 - 09:53 am
To the last "ranter;" there

To the last "ranter;" there are more than a "few" helpful people in Columbia County. If you could see beyond the accident, and take into account that it was an isolated incident, you would likely find that people in Columbia County are no less “helpful” than those who reside in Richmond County. It’s the people, not the counties, who we come in contact with every day, that make our
communities helpful. Your view projects a very narrow minded observation. There are good and helpful people all through the CSRA.

I do agree with your opinion regarding the traffic situation. Too many people try “beating the light,” and cause accidents. Best way to avoid that, is avoid those lights by using an alternate route. Yes, there are alternate routes to the big store in Columbia County. Check Google Earth.

allhans
allhans 11/28/11 - 12:43 pm
I have never been able for

I have never been able for the life of me to distinguish Columbia County residents from those in Richmond County. Most that I come in contact with have lived in both at one time or another. I live in Richmond but go to church in Columbia County. I like them all.Now divisions within the counties, yes both, are a different matter. Certain areas...well there are certain areas.

fftaz71
fftaz71 11/28/11 - 01:24 pm
happychimer....the speed

happychimer....the speed limit on I-20 is 65 between Belair and Wheeler where it changes to 55 (just before/at the Wheeler Road overpass). Could be that may be why you were getting passed left and right...although even doing 65 I get passed left and right anyway.

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/28/11 - 01:33 pm
The Atlantic Coast Conference

The Atlantic Coast Conference should withdraw its invitation to Syracuse to join after their scandal with the assistant coach of the basketball team and the ball boys. The ACC mainly made up of southern schools shouldn't accept this type behavior that allows schools to lose control of their athlectic programs. Afterall, Duke and Wake Forrest are church sponsored schools.

Jim Boeheim should be fired, too. He intimidated the boys coming forward, calling the main witness a liar. Lesson for the southern schools, be very careful allowing yankees into your conferences. The SEC stretched it all the way to a border state with Missouri, but that's okay.

Yankees ain't right. We might get drunk at games and on Saturday night, but we go to church Sunday morning.

Vito45
Vito45 11/28/11 - 01:59 pm
fftaz: I went to Atlanta Sat

fftaz: I went to Atlanta Sat morning and I had to push 80 to stay with the flow on I-20. It would say that 75% of the traffic was going 75 or better, and 15%-20% of those were over 80.

happychimer
19624
happychimer 11/28/11 - 02:08 pm
I don't go faster just to

I don't go faster just to please speed demons. They can go around me.

happychimer
19624
happychimer 11/28/11 - 02:10 pm
fftaz yes that is where they

fftaz yes that is where they were passing me .

countyman
countyman 11/28/11 - 04:59 pm
I have a couple of updates to

I have a couple of updates to share with the public..
1. Central Business District: The construction is moving along on both 851 Sprint Food and Metro Market(open air seating, 1st floor urban market: restaurant/convenience store: 2nd floor Sprint Food corporate offices and space for other tenants), and the parking/office garage(JB Whites warehouse) at 922 Ellis street.. Sprint Food & Metro Marke next to the Augusta Common opens next month.. The International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers construction has begun(two story expansion: over $1 million). They have a small crane located on the property along Reynolds street... IBEW needs to train more people due to the Savannah River Site and Plant Vogtle jobs. I think Tantra Ultra Lounge is now open in the Whites Building next to Sundrees Market.. The $3 million dollar traffic singal/street light/sidewalk expansion is almost completed. The new street lights on Broad should be ready before Christmas.. The Saint Sebastian Way landscaping project begins in the near future..
2. West Augusta: The new extended stay hotel(Hilton brand) was approved by the commission.. The hotel will occupy 2.55 acres of an 7 acre lot located at 3634 Walton Way Extension between the Walton Corners shopping center, Regal Cinemas, and Savannah River Bank.. The hotel might be Hilton's Home2 Suites, not to be confused with Homewood Suites which we already have.. The hotel is located within 2-3 miles of the 124 room Residence Inn by Marriott coming to 1110 Marks Church rd.. The Augusta Exchange continues to become it's own separate area away from West Augusta. Even with all the growth developers have access to available land along Walton Way Extension, Wheeler rd west of Robert C Daniel, Interstate Pkwy, etc..
3. Evans: The Marshall Square development continues to move forward in Evans.. The five story Taxslayer started a while back, and the fitness should begin soon..
4. South Augusta: The Peach Orchard rd corridor of South Augusta has some projects underway or about to start in the future.