Rants & Raves

Comments from readers.

IN THIS ECONOMY many stores just don’t appreciate their customers. I wonder if their managers know about this. They should have a talk with their workers.

I AM A 74-YEAR-OLD retired Korean and Vietnam Army veteran. I sincerely appreciate all respect and recognition the CSRA and other areas give to our veterans on Veterans Day. However, I cannot understand why Richmond County schools closed for the holiday considering their very low academic performance. I notice all other local area schools were open.

MAYBE NOW ALL those millions who had nothing better to do than live and breathe the Jackson trial can accomplish something in their lives. Way too many people seemingly had nothing better to do.

LINDSAY LOHAN spent four hours in jail and walked out with the same old smirk on her face. Why do they even bother with all this? She is obviously winning.

I’M NOT A BIG FAN of Dancing with the Stars, but if J.R. doesn’t win that trophy, that will be a riot. Anybody who would eliminate that hero is a zero. J.R. is the man.

OBAMA NEEDS TO step down. Why do we have troops in Australia? This is ridiculous.

THE RICHMOND COUNTY Neighbors is full of foreclosures, which is unfair because of the economy, but they took out all of the crimes and divorces. We need to know what is going on in Augusta beside the people who are losing their homes.

THE OFFICIAL scientific name of mankind is homo sapiens which means man the wise, but are we actually homo stupidus because the world is standing around and watching Iran create a nuclear weapon and the capacity to deliver it. They are even stating their intentions to use it against Israel and even the U.S., but we aren’t doing anything about it. How smart is the human race?

EVERYONE HAS moments when their mind goes blank or they get confused or forgetful. So why does the media have a field day when this happens to a Republican candidate yet the media almost ignores when Obama makes a blunder?

myopinion3
myopinion3 11/27/11 - 03:52 am
IF THE GOVERNMENT would quit

IF THE GOVERNMENT would quit sending out checks for subsidies that were not earned, we’d be in better shape. People don’t pay taxes, but they get food stamps and more.....A very true statement until it becomes YOUR mother, YOUR Sister or YOUR Grandchildren....then you have to thank God they have a glimmer of hope...

Asitisinaug
Asitisinaug 11/27/11 - 04:25 am
It is MY responsibility to

It is MY responsibility to help my family and extended family when necessary, not that of the government.

The government can't give anything to anyone unless it takes it from someone else.

Entitlements are enabling and people now think they are "owed" something other that the Right to persue....

bushwhacker
bushwhacker 11/27/11 - 08:12 am
Asitisinaug, must be lonely

Asitisinaug, must be lonely and cold in your world where helping a fellow human being is so wrong.

happychimer
happychimer 11/27/11 - 11:52 am
My mama had 9 brothers and 3

My mama had 9 brothers and 3 sisters. When one left home, they worked and sent money back home to help their parents. Mama's parents raised their kids on a farm. They always had food on the table.It is not the place of parents to support grown kids.

Vito45
Vito45 11/27/11 - 01:26 pm
Bushwaker, most people I know

Bushwaker, most people I know extend help to their fellow man through charitable or direct giving, we just don't like being forced to through taxes; which inevitably winds up in the pockets of some undeserving.

drivenslow
drivenslow 11/27/11 - 01:30 pm
for the first ranter i have

for the first ranter i have been a customer service rep for 12 years and let me tell you customers are some of the rudest and most unappreciative people in the world......rarely have i seen or had a customer treat a rep with even a shred of decency so dont bother contacting managers they know full well what we have to deal with on a daily basis....kindergardeners act more adult that most grown ups

drivenslow
drivenslow 11/27/11 - 01:33 pm
and for all the foreclosures

and for all the foreclosures it is noones fault but the person that signed the contract for a house they could never afford i have no sympathy for someone that bought a 250,000 dollar house when they have a combined income of 60,000 dollars a year......its called financial planning and living within your means not trying to impress your friends

drivenslow
drivenslow 11/27/11 - 01:36 pm
homo stupidus yeah i agree we

homo stupidus yeah i agree we elected a man with no more experience than a kid running a lemonade stand to run the united states of america....and the term WMD comes to mind especially when several independent agencies have stated that their uranium enrichment is nowhere near weapons potential

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/27/11 - 01:36 pm
Speaking of all the home loan

Speaking of all the home loan defaults, have you ever watched International Home Hunters on the HGTV Channel? Some of the countries they are in don't have any such things as home loans. We would be better off here from the way things have turned out if people had to pay upfront.

drivenslow
drivenslow 11/27/11 - 01:37 pm
oh wait the lemonade stand

oh wait the lemonade stand kid would actually have more experience....it sure puts into the spotlight that a yale stanford or harvard education is highly overrrated

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/27/11 - 01:54 pm
I must say I was pleasantly

I must say I was pleasantly surprised on my recent visit to the CSRA...the steets were clean---the homes were tidy---the restaurants were jumping & the drinks were great...
of course I never made it to downtown.....but Evans-Harlem-Wheeler Rd-EvansLock---StevensCreek-Appling- Owens rd--Columbia--Washington--StevensCreek---Hereford Farm---Louisville Rd--WmFew Parkway--Stallings Island----yea-yea.....& many thanks to theCajun Martinis at French Market in Martinez----yipee....
Carolina Ale restaurant with the huge tvs-----rip-roaring good time!!

Asitisinaug
Asitisinaug 11/27/11 - 04:07 pm
Bushwacker, Not only do I

Bushwacker, Not only do I help my fellow man on a weekly basis through donating my time (at least 12 hours a week) but I also contribute financially as much as possible. I will not go into the various charities, etc. I work with because that is not why I do it but I do plenty and love HELPING others but not enabling them.

The government rarely helps anyone. Instead, they enable people to become dependent, complacent and lazy. They reward negative behavior such as not working and having more children than you can afford by taking from responsible hard working taxpayers. They created dependency and the needs continue to grow to the point where we are now in our society that 52% of Americans no longer even pay federal income taxes.

If you wish to "donate" to the federal government more than your fair share then by all means do so (I doubt very seriously you will) but I personally believe families, churches and charities are far better at helping others and it comes from the heart not some mandate from the government.

Asitisinaug
Asitisinaug 11/27/11 - 04:13 pm
As for stores that don't

As for stores that don't appreciate their customers....the managers generally ARE THE PROBLEM, not the front line people who have little training, etc.

You can get people fresh from high school with little training and have great customer services personnel....simply look at the management and training at Chick-Filet.

However, in many stores, you see the managers sitting in their offices, not caring, not HELPING their staff as they should. Prime example is when you are in a store where the lines are long, only a couple are open and you look over at the managers cage where 2 or more are sitting in their not doing anything or just joking around - they don't come help their staff or the customers and it is ridiculous.

When management doesn't hire correctly, train well and then help out on a daily basis, customer service will fall short every time.

FalseHopeLooseChange
FalseHopeLooseChange 11/27/11 - 05:02 pm
"Homo Stupidus". Evolution

"Homo Stupidus". Evolution of a liberal, or God's punishment for mankind.

Dwell on it, hopefully longer than Chaz Bono's attempt at wining hearts and minds on DWS.....

dstewartsr
20388
dstewartsr 11/27/11 - 05:07 pm
"...The government rarely

"...The government rarely helps anyone..." For once, I agree with you. Depending on whose numbers are used, the governments at all levels take between sixty to eighty percent of the money for the poor in personnel costs and overhead. Which means on average of every dollar wrested from people who earn them, the government passes on a quarter. Precisely how is that helping the disadvantaged? Unless you think $75,000 + a year salaries are the disadvantaged.

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 11/27/11 - 05:21 pm
Hey seenit how come you

Hey seenit how come you didn't call me? My wife and I planned on getting drunk at least one day during the Hollidays. I can't wait! hehe

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/27/11 - 05:51 pm
shrimp...Family took over

shrimp...Family took over this trip....but some time in the future we will have a meeting of "minds"

stewart...I traveled through groveytown going to Harlem & you have let that dad burn traffic get out of hand...:)
I guess that wallymart traffic caused it!!

Jane18
Jane18 11/27/11 - 06:34 pm
I very much agree with

I very much agree with asitisinaug, bushwhacker, and happychimer! And in complete honesty and in my own ability, to myopinion3, you can believe it would never be MY mother, MY sister, nor MY grandchildren(if I had any). Family takes care of family when needs call for it. Don't get me wrong, if he/she is a lazy bum, nope,won't give them anything.

Willow Bailey
20579
Willow Bailey 11/27/11 - 08:08 pm
Grovetown needs a four lane

Grovetown needs a four lane highway.

Asitisinaug
Asitisinaug 11/27/11 - 11:50 pm
Boy, the headlines today are

Boy, the headlines today are great...would love to hear countymans take on it...

Robberies in broad daylight in West Augusta, buglaries, AC thefts, shootings, man shot in face, stolen guns, copper thieves at churches, woman held at gunpoint....maybe we should build a ball park surround it with armed guards and constantine wire and fill it with all of the vermin running wild in the CSRA.