Rants & Raves

IT’S SIMPLE: Cut spending, cut taxes, cut government size. What kind of people are too blind, or corrupt, to see that? Communists, among others.

RICHMOND’S EDUCATION board finance committee approved a bid of roughly $1,200 per camera for 80 school bus security cameras. Only a modern political bunch can spend $1,200 for a camera.

THOSE PUSHING FOR legalizing what isn’t legal claim the illegals are “perfectly qualified students.” If they are inside the U.S. illegally, they are NOT “qualified,” and certainly are not “perfect.”

I’M CURIOUS AS to how Sou­therners became so lazy they can’t even flick a finger to use their turn signals.

JOE BOWLES SHOULD be congratulated for calling Lockett’s “forensic” investigations into many county departments “comical.”

TO THE PERSON ranting about “educators” not doing enough educating in regard to the fourth- and eighth-grader test scores: Education begins at home. It is a parent’s job to help educate a child as much as the teachers. They are not miracle workers.

RANT TO ALL of you who tailgate. I always try to go the speed limit but usually have to go a little faster trying to keep the people off my bumper (which usually does not help). Just so you will know, when you ride my bumper, I get nervous, and when I get nervous I slow down to a snail’s pace. So if you are in such a hurry, I suggest that you stay a reasonable distance back.

A RAVE (AND PRAISE!) to God for the breathtaking leaves this fall – “only God can make a tree.”

RAVES TO THE many caring area teachers, bus drivers, kitchen workers, custodians, maintenance persons and other school personnel who work hard every day against great odds to provide our kids first-rate opportunities to prepare for adulthood.

NBA PLAYERS ARE ready to walk out. Let ’em.

A RANT TO THE disgusting person that left the baby wipe and used diaper in front of my house after being at a yard sale. I am not your parent; you are now a parent; please clean up after yourself and your baby.

WAY TO GO, HANK JR.! The crowd went wild when Hank Jr. appeared on stage at the CMA Awards. That should tell you something.

RunningMan
RunningMan 11/21/11 - 09:00 pm
To the last comment - what,

To the last comment - what, that they are just as confused as he is.

countyman
20120
countyman 11/21/11 - 09:10 pm
The Sephora at the Augusta

The Sephora at the Augusta mall will soon have some competition.. Ulta is under construction at the Augusta Exchange(20k sq. ft.) in the former Borders location....

I've heard the reason why Sylvania close was due to the rent becoming too high at the mall.. Brookstone took it's place earlier this month on the 2nd level..

Taylor B
Taylor B 11/21/11 - 09:27 pm
Brookstone is seasonal, silly

Brookstone is seasonal, silly goose!

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/21/11 - 09:42 pm
Countyman, business has been

Countyman, business has been down at the mall. Silvina asked for a discount on the rent and when it was refused they decided to pull out. The rent wasn't going higher. Silvina said see ya. When mall management saw they were actually leaving, they agreed to the originally sought discount. But that was too late. Silvina is a small regional chain with 10 stores. They recently opened new stores in Savannah and St. Louis.

countyman
20120
countyman 11/21/11 - 09:57 pm
Riverman... Do you have any

Riverman... Do you have any proof? Since 2010: Forever 21, The Limited, Flip Flip Shops, Pandora, CCS, Handpicked, Moe's Southwest, Icing, Toys R US Express, Downtown Locker Room, Crazy 8, Brookstone, Yoyo Novus. Brow Baar, and Great Wraps....

If business is down then the mall should have a high vacancy rate.. Instead of the occupancy rate being close to 100%.. Sephora, PF Changs, Apple, Williams Sonoma, etc don't have locations outside of Augusta and metro Atlanta..

Patty-P
Patty-P 11/21/11 - 10:06 pm
countyman when is Ulta

countyman when is Ulta opening? I need to check it out before I move. I havn't been to one of those stores in a long time.

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/21/11 - 10:14 pm
Countyman, I can prove what I

Countyman, I can prove what I just said about Silvina pulling out and why. Want to make a bet for charity? Now, you are right, it is more or less a subjective opinion about the total mall business being down, but at least one manager has told me it is without question down.

Of course, the occupancy rate is high and way above the average American mall. Remember what I've said about economic cycles and government dominated economies. We are somewhat insulated, but the down cycle does come as government money is cut.

countyman
20120
countyman 11/21/11 - 10:25 pm
I haven't heard anything

I haven't heard anything concerning the opening date yet..

It's a great sign when the Augusta Exchange, Augusta mall, Augusta West Plaza, Village Plaza, Surrey Center, and the Village at Riverwatch are all thriving at once.. Even Southgate, the Walmart shopping center, and Colony Plaza in South Augusta are doing pretty good.. Then we still have the 25 acre shopping center/10k sq. ft. Shoppes at Dyess Park on Jimmie Dyess and the Carmax area formerly Wheeler Town Park.. Hopefully the upcoming construction along I-520 will help bring the long rumored Target shopping center to South Augusta. The Peach Orchard/I-520 interchange does have alot of daily traffic..

1. Augusta Exchange: Buffalo Wild Wings, Ulta, and expanded Tutti Frutti.. The 124 room Residence Inn by Marriott(1110 Marks Church rd) and a hotel under the Hilton brand(3634 Walton Way Extension) should begin soon.
2. Augusta mall: Bare Esscentuals, Brow Bar, etc recently..
3. Village Plaza: Major renovation and Bealls outlet..
4. Village at Riverwatch: The opening of Costco and phase 1 coming soon..
5. Augusta West Plaza: WJBF/NBC studios, RaceTrac, and Kids Party Center..

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/21/11 - 10:27 pm
Where have you seen or heard

Where have you seen or heard anything about a Target shopping center coming to South Augusta? This is new to me. It's pretty tough to get a grocery store there even.

Patty-P
Patty-P 11/21/11 - 10:25 pm
Target coming to S.Aug? Wow.

Target coming to S.Aug? Wow. I'm shocked.

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/21/11 - 10:33 pm
Sometimes these threads can

Sometimes these threads can be very funny. Best thing on the internet.

Taylor B
Taylor B 11/21/11 - 10:39 pm
We cant even get ladder

We cant even get ladder trucks in South Augusta...

Patty-P
Patty-P 11/21/11 - 10:41 pm
Why doesn't Augusta have an

Why doesn't Augusta have an Outdoor World/Bass Pro Shop? Savannah has one and it's a favorite shopping destination.

countyman
20120
countyman 11/21/11 - 10:50 pm
Riverman.. The rumor about

Riverman.. The rumor about Chick Fil A, Target, Ruby Tuesday coming to South Augusta is nothing new... A 24hr Dennys is opeining sometime in the future along Peach Ochard road.

The holdup is probably due to the majority of disposable income being south of Tobacco rd(Lakes at Spirit Creek, Diamond Lakes/Manchester, Walton Farms, Walton Acres, The Orchard, Goshen, Longpoint, etc), but the traffic and infrastructure surrounding Peach Orchard/I-520... The I-520 construction will also help when it comes to visibility.

Patty P.. Why are you shocked? I keep repeating everybody in South Augusta isn't black and working class, nor is every single neighborhood dealing with violent crimes.. I think it's going to be funny though if South Augusta does land before Martinez and North Augusta..

Bass Pro is either coming to the VAR, Carmax area, or possibly Walton Way Extension at I-20.. Richmond County is listed under future store on the website.. Bass Pro and Ruths Chris do have locations in Savannah, but we have Apple, PF Changs, Costco, Carolina Ale House, Tutti Frutti, Sephora, Williams Sonoma, Jared Galleria, etc..

Taylor B
Taylor B 11/21/11 - 10:44 pm
Any new cell phone case carts

Any new cell phone case carts in the mall you want to brag about?

Land Audi for me. Sorry, we have a great county. Are my expectations too high? Possible. I just think we can do sooooo much better.

Patty-P
Patty-P 11/21/11 - 10:46 pm
I never said everyone in

I never said everyone in S.Aug is black. What does that have to do with it? Every single neighborhood isn't dealing with as much crime YET. But when they start putting businesses in that area, there will be more traffic and more crime to follow. I'm surprised because it seemed like the focus was on the downtown area. I think S.Aug needs a pick-me-up.

countyman
20120
countyman 11/21/11 - 11:08 pm
Taylor B.. I don't know why

Taylor B.. I don't know why good news has to be considered bragging. I think some people like to here positive news for a chance, instead of the daily doom and gloom on the Chronicle..

Instead of focusing on what I'm doing on the Chronicle..

1. Why aren't you at every commission meeting screaming Audi at the top of your lungs?
2. Why aren't you calling Deke Copenhaver and Walter Sprouse every week??
3. Why aren't you organizing an event focusing on landing economic development??
4. Why aren't you helping make sure we land the 115 million chemical plant proposed for South Augusta?
5. Why aren't you coming up with an presentation featuring the best industrial sites in South Augusta to present to the media/commission/public?
6. Why aren't you mentioning bringing major development to the 1,800 acre Augusta Corporate Park every chance you get?

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/21/11 - 11:06 pm
Countyman, we all sometimes

Countyman, we all sometimes don't quite get your optimism, but you do a great job of keeping a positive view of Augusta. I really do appreciate it. We need a balance and often most of us are too negative. Augusta has a lot going for it and you are right to point out the good things. I do love it and its role in the CSRA as a whole.

Patty-P
Patty-P 11/21/11 - 11:11 pm
countyman how about a Neiman

countyman how about a Neiman Marcus store? or is that asking for too much? A small outlet mall?

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/21/11 - 11:17 pm
I think the outlet mall type

I think the outlet mall type stores would work well around the Costco's. It's right off the interstate as most outlet malls are. However, it could be the whole concept of outlet malls is dated. But, surely something would work right off the interstate in that safe, pretty area that already has a Costco's.

Patty-P
Patty-P 11/21/11 - 11:18 pm
I love outlet mall shopping.

I love outlet mall shopping. I lived in the Hilton Head area years ago and would go to Tanger outlets all the time. They still thrive pretty well and most of the original stores are still there today.

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/21/11 - 11:29 pm
Patty, Hilton Head has a

Patty, Hilton Head has a great grasp on how to promote retail business. But, you know, I think they should bill this Costco site as the safest shopping in the country. I was there Sunday and saw how remote it is. I bet it will be a very long time before a crime is committed in that parking lot. (Don't let me jinx it.)

Patty-P
Patty-P 11/21/11 - 11:33 pm
I havn't been yet but I bet

I havn't been yet but I bet it is pretty safe with the location. Hope it stays that way.

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/22/11 - 12:27 am
Hey, I think this is a cool

Hey, I think this is a cool comment that would fit for the hard copy Rant and Raves. Feel free to use it......The Costco place is almost like the near-by Stalling's Island Indians site where they took advantage of an island in the river to create a safe trading locale for a civilization around 500 AD. Some things never change.

RunningMan
RunningMan 11/22/11 - 07:26 am
Wow...all this talk about SA

Wow...all this talk about SA again. Despite all the negative comments from the uniformed on here, I continue to see the growth. Diamond Lakes is adding on to its already full subdivision. They have just now started developing a new subdivision off of Willis Foreman Road and I continue to see the quality of life in this area get better. It seems like they are finally ready to expand Windsors Spring at Tobacco Road. Honestly, there are some of us who wishes SC would not get any bigger, because of all the traffic, etc., however its too late. So, for those living in SC, you're in good shape, and diversity is all over the place. As the saying goes "you build it, and they will come". and that my friends is alive and well in SC. I just hope that growth is slow and well thought out. Will there be more crime with growth? Probably. But that is no different than Columbia County and other places.

constituent
constituent 11/22/11 - 08:23 am
"That should tell something"

"That should tell something" Country singer Hank Jr is a crass - country speaking confederate soldier.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 11/22/11 - 08:52 am
RM wrote: I think the outlet

RM wrote:

Yes, that is the rub. When outlet malls first appeared and for several years thereafter, they were places you could get a bargain. Now, they are more expensive than the big box retailers and the mail order discounters. Why shop at an outlet mall when it's more expensive?

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/22/11 - 08:58 am
I can agree with patty....yes

I can agree with patty....yes I'm surprised too....but greatful that some are thinking of locating in South Augusta....that would be a game changer for the area.....the jobs are needed there.....give the teens & young 20s a decent paying job & some of the riff-raff would disappear...imho

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/22/11 - 09:01 am
countyman said... 1. Why

countyman said...

2. Why aren't you calling Deke Copenhaver and Walter Sprouse every week??

Thankyou ....the leaders in S. Augusta need to pay attention to your request......

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 11/22/11 - 09:02 am
LL, online shopping has put

LL, online shopping has put a dent into local retail shopping as well and
there are also the out of town shoppers.