Rants & Raves

WHY WON’T The Augusta Chronicle consider making the Word Salsa and the Scrabble bigger so seniors like me would be able to read it?

NCAA BASKETBALL: Finally something good to watch on TV!

IT IS TIME FOR the principals of the underperforming high schools in Richmond County to stop threatening their faculty with dismissal. It is time for the principals to lead and not to dictate.

WHY IS THE news media still covering the circus formerly known as Occupy Wall Street?

IN RESPONSE TO the gun hypocrisy rant: The problem isn’t the guns but the lack of parental supervision and responsibility. I grew up with guns and was taught the proper way to handle them and myself. Stop blaming the guns. It’s the parents!!!

THE TWO DUMPSTERS near the Peach Orchard Post office branch continue to put off a really atrocious scent. It’s a shame that south Augusta has no voice anymore in the community since the days of Mayor Sconyers. It’s a sad day. No wonder we have lost so many good residents.

WHAT WILL IT TAKE for the Family Y to get some security?

MR. CAIN, it looks like the people are out to get you. My husband and I thought about voting for you, but we feel sorry for you. We think the best thing for you and your family is to go home and sit on the porch. You don’t need all this aggravation.

TO THE PERSON who found my $45 in the Walmart in North Augusta, I wish you had been honest enough to turn it in to the service desk. Maybe if you read this, you will do the right thing and turn in my money.

I’M SUPPORTIVE OF Cain. These women that have come forward are bogus. Where are Sharpton and Jackson on this?

ARE THEY GOING to build another What-A-Burger on Broad Street or anywhere? I really enjoyed it.

ONE CAN ONLY question the intelligence, moral compass and sanity of anyone who will vilify someone of Herman Cain’s caliber (i.e., a man with a work ethic, common sense and a valid birth certificate), yet willingly follow and glorify an individual with ambiguous, questionable beliefs and a totally mysterious background, who seems to be hell-bent on destroying a great nation. I don’t get it.

Comments from our readers.

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/21/11 - 06:55 am
I grew up around guns

I grew up around guns too.....no problem.......still have guns & still not a problem.......learn to use them..
Post Office trash stinks......call the POFC & report this.....I have seen this rant on here B4..
Maybe S Augusta needs another Sconyers as Mayor......there are soo many things that need attention in South Augusta.....vote him in why doncha ya.....
Good am CSRA...

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/21/11 - 06:57 am
I love What A Burger

I love What A Burger too......the best one I know about now is in Destin Florida.

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/21/11 - 07:57 am
Usually I don't get all reved

Usually I don't get all reved up about putting out Christmas decorations....especially since we don't have small ones in the house....but for some reason this year I want to decorate more....maybe because we hear so much sad-depressing news 24/7....
I find myself wanting to "buy" stuff---some new stuff---but then I think--what country made this stuff----also I remember George Carlins jokes about ..what to do with all this stuff---questions..questions...should I or shouldn't I .......I probably could rummage through the boxes & find some "stuff" that I have forgotten about......but who would keep the economy going if I have all the stuff I will ever need???
Maybe I'll just make some banana bread/pumpkinpie/carrot cake/cranberry bread......yep....especially since I'm trying to diet...that will do me in for sure......when I was younger it was so much easier.sigh

allhans
allhans 11/21/11 - 12:57 pm
seenitB4, At my house we are

seenitB4, At my house we are going through the same dilemma regarding Christmas decorations. We cleared our attic 3 years ago and decided to go small, but now we will looking forward to shopping for more..Tis the Season!
---
I would imagine a dumpster gets all kinds of stuff, from all kinds of people. Is it post office dumpsters or restaurant dumpsters. The poster doesn't say, only that they are "near".

Talk to the company that collects trash from the containers.

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 11/21/11 - 11:26 am
Good morning, SB4! Decorating

Good morning, SB4! Decorating is too much like a chore that I don't need. Mostly because it's dangerous for me to climb on a ladder. Since we don't have little ones any longer, we just put up a Christmas tree, and it gets all our attention. Our cats love the ornaments and lights.

Wishing you and all AC bloggers a very happy Thanksgiving! The preparations have begun. The most important dish for our Thanksgiving meal is almost put together. It's what my Mom called "Sweet Potato Delight." I've known it to have different names, but it always turns out to be the first item totally consumed. Some call it "Sweet Potato Pie," others call it Sweet Potato Soufflé, but since it was my Mom's recipe, I just call it wonderful.

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 11/21/11 - 11:33 am
The original "What-A-Burger"

The original "What-A-Burger" was without a doubt, the best burger in town. After it changed hands, that quality was diminished somewhat, but it was still pretty good. This rant brings up a good question...who has the best hamburger in the Augusta, Martinez, Evans, area? Hope we can generate enough interest to locate a real winner.

happychimer
happychimer 11/21/11 - 11:38 am
I’M SUPPORTIVE OF Cain. These

So you were there and know for a fact that those women lied? If the same thing happened to you, would you like it when people like you holler you are bogus?

Vito45
Vito45 11/21/11 - 11:40 am
A winner is hard to pick

A winner is hard to pick Sarge because of the uniqueness of some of the local flavor places. For a fast burger I like Sonic, and Five Guys is hard to beat if you don't mind the calories. I pretty much stick to chicken or subs any more, but when I did eat burgers, Riverfront Sports Pub had a good one as did the Rack and Grill. Delta Sandwich shop was also renowned for their burgers. (are they even still in operation?) Gary's was also a good bet.

happychimer
happychimer 11/21/11 - 11:41 am
What a Burger moved yo Walton

What a Burger moved yo Walton Way near ARC. It has a different name npw. It's in a small shopping center near Baker Ave.

happychimer
happychimer 11/21/11 - 11:49 am
The media is covering the OWS

The media is covering the OWS because it is news, and the people's right to know. Did you know a female judge tried to help an older woman cops had beaten, and the cop hit the judge in the chest and pushed her agaist a wall? The judge was there as an observer. Did you see the crowd of passive college students sitting on the ground and a cop sprayed them with pepper spray back and forth several times in their faces. Several were treated at hospitals. Several of those cops, who were on power trips, have been put on leave. Did you see the 84 yr old woman in Seattle who was pepper sprayed? American citizens have a constitutional right to assemble, and how dare anyone deny that right by our constitution.

Vito45
Vito45 11/21/11 - 12:09 pm
Their right to assemble ends

Their right to assemble ends if the law is broken and they are asked to disperse.

justthefacts
justthefacts 11/21/11 - 12:19 pm
Amen Vito. I would hope the

Amen Vito. I would hope the police would protect people trying to get home or wherever by whatever means necessary and regardless of the age of the offenders.

happychimer
happychimer 11/21/11 - 12:27 pm
So tell me what laws that 84

So tell me what laws that 84 yr old and that judge broke? Have you seen the videos of the passive people sprayed with pepper spray? Those power hugry cops soon will be without a job.

happychimer
happychimer 11/21/11 - 12:24 pm
Here is a headline.Former

Here is a headline.Former Poet Laureate Robert Hass Clubbed By Police At UC Berkeley

happychimer
happychimer 11/21/11 - 12:26 pm
So don't even try to tell me

So don't even try to tell me most of the OWS protestors are poor people living off of entitlements.

Vito45
Vito45 11/21/11 - 12:29 pm
Surely you have been watching

Surely you have been watching the news haven't you? Oakland? The park in Atlanta? Wall Street? I don't know if or what laws were broken in your particular example, but the crowd was asked to disperse for a reason. If the cops went overboard they should be fired, and perhaps prosecuted; but when people begin to pose a hazard to the general public, their right to assemble is done.

happychimer
happychimer 11/21/11 - 12:37 pm
You go to your national news

You go to your national news and read and see the videos for yourself. Just because a cop tells you to disperse, does not give them the right to make you leave. the right to assemble is a constitutional right. You have heard of the constitution, right? Or you know of the constitution when it fits your agenda. The more violence shown toward the protestors, the larger the crowds of protestors get. They are not going away anytime soon. I have said all I am going to say for now. Just remember the war protests and the civil rights movement. Y'all have a good day, and have a safe and happy Thanksgiving.

allhans
allhans 11/21/11 - 12:56 pm
If you are ordered to leave

If you are ordered to leave an area by law enforcement you are required to leave! If you refuse, then they have the right and legal authority to lend you a hand.
If a person lies on the grounds and refuses to budge, guess what?
I don 't think sex, age or position in life is an excuse for law-breaking.

Vito45
Vito45 11/21/11 - 12:59 pm
The constitution does not

The constitution does not give you the right to anarchy. You have the right to peacefully assemble until such time the authorities determine there is a public hazard with people blocking thoroughfares, creating sanitary hazards, occupying spaces that are illegal to gather in, staying after such places are closed by ordinance, etc. At such time if the authorities have determined it is time to have the crowd dispersed, then if pepper spray is what it takes to get them to move, so be it.
There are legal mechanisms for permits, etc these folks can use to peacefully and legally demonstrate, and more power to them when they abide by the rules. If the cops are not following protocol, they should be dealt with just like the protesters. Sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander.

Vito45
Vito45 11/21/11 - 01:25 pm
INRE Berkley. I watched about

INRE Berkley. I watched about 4 different videos of the Berkeley clash and have yet to see anyone clubbed. I DID see the police jabbing with their nightsticks pushing people back who were pressing against the police line, and I did see the police grab two people by the hair to put them on the ground for arrest when they refused to back up.
Does anyone have a video of beating and clubbing as has been claimed?

And does anyone know the facts here? Who asked for police intervention on campus, the school administration; or did they text each other and just decide to show up? Somebody in authority sent them there in riot gear for a reason, do we know who or why?

Again, when the police tell you to go, you go. If your civil liberties have been infringed, the ACLU or others will gladly take up your case and fight for you in court, and should. I fully support peaceful assebmly and protest, but anarchy is like cancer; it has to be nipped in the bud before it has a chance to metastasize.

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 11/21/11 - 02:41 pm
12:25. Spot on, Vito! Thank

12:25. Spot on, Vito! Thank you for the burger info. We like 5-guys and Sonic as well, but "Precious" is most fond of Burger King. I haven't had a Gary's in a long time. Might just have to try one after the holidays.
Anyone know about "Red Robin?" I haven't heard anything about their burgers.

follower 11/21/11 - 03:40 pm
The best burger in the area

The best burger in the area is from "Hula Dawgs" in Grovetown.

Call to make sure they'll be open in the evening though. They're open six days for lunch, but the evening hour vary, seemingly depending on their mood. But the burger is out of this world.

harley_52
harley_52 11/21/11 - 03:53 pm
The best burger in Augusta is

The best burger in Augusta is found at the Sports Center on Broad Street. Second best is at the Sidetrack Bar and Grill off Washington Road near Columbia road intersection.

Vito45
Vito45 11/21/11 - 04:26 pm
Harley, I don't know if it is

Harley, I don't know if it is true, but I was told that the Sport's Center and Riverfront were owned by the same person and used the same burgers/buns, etc. I couldn't think of Sports Center for a second, so named Riverfront instead. Truth is, I've only eaten at the Sports Center a few times, so really can't swear by Riverfront's burgers. Don't forget the onion rings if you go, and be sure to carry some Rolaids. It sho' am good, but all that fried stuff and greasy burger is a good case of indigestion for those unaccustomed to it. They have a big 'ol fishbowl mug of ice cold draft beer too. MMMMMMM.....
It has been a few years, but the last time I was there I could get a burger and mug of brew for under $5.

Dudeness
Dudeness 11/21/11 - 04:50 pm
What-a-burger is now Broad

What-a-burger is now Broad Street Burgers. I never ate at What-a-burger, but BSB is pretty decent. I eat burgers pretty much everywhere I go and tend to like Village Deli and Wild Wing's burgers a lot. I have not tried most of the places mentioned here so far only because I haven't been to the restaurants. For some good cheap burgers, I still love Burger King. I found the burgers at Five Guys and Red Robin to be overrated. I think they draw more attention than they should based on the seemingly unlimited french fries rather than the burgers.

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/21/11 - 05:50 pm
Ya'll are making me

Ya'll are making me HUNGRY...!!!

nanowerx
nanowerx 11/21/11 - 05:52 pm
How many innocent people pay

How many innocent people pay off at least two women $45,000 for their silence? Keep it classy, Cain supporters.

harley_52
harley_52 11/21/11 - 06:19 pm
Vito, the place I'm talking

Vito, the place I'm talking about (Sports Center) is right next door to Louigi's Italian Restaurant. The guy who owned it used to be Bill ......can't remember his last name, but he was a big guy and his wife Sandy worked behind the bar. I've never heard it called Riverfront, but it's been a couple of years since I was in there and YES, I remember those ice cold fishbowls.

happychimer
happychimer 11/21/11 - 07:02 pm
Red Robin burgers are too

Red Robin burgers are too expensive, and the taste is not as good as Burger King.

Rolling Eyes
Rolling Eyes 11/21/11 - 07:51 pm
Herman Cain needs supporters

Herman Cain needs supporters who insist of seeing facts to make up their minds and not ones who are led to their opinions by unsubstantiated rumors. Hopefully people who allow the rumor mills to form their opinions will at least have the decency to stay home and sit on their porches come voting day. The nation needs people who care enough about their votes to do research on their candidate and vote with known facts and not media created misinformation.