Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

GEORGIA GOVERNMENT now estimates the HOPE scholarship’s fund “…is on track to run out of money…” might go broke, so lawmakers changed the rules. Remember when this casino numbers racket was sold to Georgia voters? We were assured the house never loses, so it would run indefinitely. Just one more giant, zillion-dollar lie from politicians.

LET ME TRY TO understand this: The women accusing Herman Cain of sexual harassment were paid to keep quiet. Now they are being paid to speak out. Seems to me that these women will say anything for money.

A BIG RANT TO THE gray SUV on Mike Padgett Highway with the “EDUCATOR” license tag. Please put your toddler in an approved carrier or at least buckle the poor child up. And you are an “educator”?

A RANTER CALLS patriotic Americans “hypocrites” for teaching their kids self-discipline about things like guns. A sensible parent teaches his 11-year-olds to respect guns and play by civilized rules. Check the parents of the kids involved in gun crimes and you’ll see the parents were never taught self-discipline either.

PLEASE TELL ME THAT this year the downtown parade committee is going to get a backbone and tell those participants who dress and dance provocatively that if they can’t perform modestly and respectfully, they can’t be a part of the parade. It’s way past time and their parents should be ashamed for letting it happen, too.

THIS IS A RANT about Columbia County not doing anything about roadside memorials that are going out of hand, like the one on Wheeler Road. It has been there for over a year. A small little cross would be sufficient, but the relatives keep on replacing crosses and wreaths with even larger items. Are we having a Christmas tree in the ditch again this year? Please be mindful of the rest of the world who has to drive by there every day.

THE 2010 CENSUS indicates that the wealth gap between younger and older Americans is the largest it has ever been. The reason is because the work ethic gap between younger and older Americans is the largest it has ever been.

A RANT TO our government for spending thousands of dollars on a Christmas tree … and people are going without heat and food and nowhere else to live … but that is government – our politicians.

Fools_and_sages
Fools_and_sages 11/19/11 - 10:05 pm
Losing the HOPE scholarship

Losing the HOPE scholarship fund would be unfortunate. However, until recently, Georgia was one of a few states in the entire nation that guaranteed full tuition to college students who qualified for the state scholarship when they graduated high school and maintained a B average in college. Now, GA gives full tuition to high achievers but those who maintain a B average still get 90% of their tuition covered. FREE OR REDUCED TUITION means the STATE GOVERNMENT gives a good portion of Georgia's college students a close to a FREE RIDE!! Sounds like socialism to me. Apparently, socialism is ok when it might benefit you and your wallet directly. That attitude is so hypocritical that it is sickening. Most states offer a lot less in state scholarship money while tuition in most states for state residents is at least double what you would pay in GA. In fact, some states offer as little as $50 per semester in state scholarships while they charge state residents $8000 per semester ($16,000 a year) in tuition. Even without scholarships, you're still paying less than half what you would if you lived in another state and went to a state university there. You don't know how good you (and your kids) have it in GA with low tuition and the chance at a free ride.

museofsatie
museofsatie 11/19/11 - 10:34 pm
"THIS IS A RANT about

"THIS IS A RANT about Columbia County not doing anything about roadside memorials . . . Please be mindful of the rest of the world who has to drive by there every day."

If it's not sticking out into the road and obstructing traffic, then why should it matter to you? Whoever puts these memorials there do so because they're trying to grieve and also remember a loved one who died. Ignore it and keep on driving.

gadoggirl
gadoggirl 11/19/11 - 10:49 pm
Has anyone read what happened

Has anyone read what happened to Camden New Jersey - 2nd highest crime rate in America for laying off half its police force. Augusta Richmond County are you listening & learning. We cannot lay off any police officers. We need all of these committed individuals here especially in Richmond county. Make a law no cell phones while driving then you will get your money. Charge 500.00 if caught using your cell phone while driving. That might help with the budget. Also impound vehicles with no insurance. Take them if they don't pay auction the vehicles off. Stop laying off workers we need, think defensively.

dstewartsr
20393
dstewartsr 11/19/11 - 11:10 pm
The HOPE, aka the tax on the

The HOPE, aka the tax on the innumerate, is one of the best things Georgia has come up with; it is the model for a number of other states' programs. The biggest problems are high overhead (not unexpectedly, the number and pay of those running the program has crept up over the years) and the number of students qualifying for payment. Rather than let it go bankrupt, the qualifications should be made more strict, starting with a real demonstration of financial need.

" ...The wealth gap between younger and older Americans is the largest it has ever been..." Common sense says there should be: Older people have had an entire lifetime to acquire wealth. (Duh.) The second, and less obvious, reason is what was celebrated only a few years ago as their 'new freedom' from 'old-fashioned job loyalty.' Going from job to job, often with the same salary or even less, never staying on long enough to acquire any seniority had a definite price.

Willow Bailey
20605
Willow Bailey 11/20/11 - 12:51 am
Ranter 6, My hope for you is

Ranter 6, My hope for you is that you don't have to learn through experience why some families are putting memorials up on the roadside.

reba530
reba530 11/20/11 - 06:30 am
I'm sure the people that put

I'm sure the people that put the memorial on the road did not expect some whiney behind to cry about it. Like museofsatie said ignore it and keep on driving. You people whine about the stupidiest stuff. Maybe you need to get a life... Also when a member of your family passes I'm sure you would probably do the same thing

Techfan
Techfan 11/20/11 - 07:03 am
I don't get the roadside

I don't get the roadside memorials. I don't have a morbid fascination of the hospital room where my dad died. I put flowers on his grave and remember him in my heart. I'm sure all of the hospitals and nursing homes would love for folks to put up crosses and wreaths to cover their rooms just because it was the location that someone died. Remember their lives, and if you want to mourn, go to their grave site, and keep all the clutter out of the right of way.

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/20/11 - 08:19 am
The Hope is going

The Hope is going broke???....Can't blame that on me..heheh
Maybe the Hope should pay 1/2 the cost of college....some need the help more than others..
If the hiney is showing in the parade...well that's too much body viewing....cover the hiney..

I really like the Christmas trees...Christmas lights...Christmas songs...we NEED some highlights in todays world...goodness knows we have
enough to depress us...Bring on the LIGHTS-MUSIC-EGGNOG...can't we enjoy "something"...

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/20/11 - 08:27 am
seenitB4
seenitB4 11/20/11 - 08:29 am
Just thinking....You want to

Just thinking....You want to get more people downtown....light it up....make it sparkle.......give the kids some excitement/Christmas music helps too.

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/20/11 - 08:36 am
FalseHopeLooseChange
FalseHopeLooseChange 11/20/11 - 09:42 am
A lot of the roadside

A lot of the roadside memorials are in places where you should wonder why or how an accident occurred in that particular place....

I think people should use the roadside memorials as an inspiration to drive defensively and pay more attention to their driving responsibilities.

dichotomy
dichotomy 11/20/11 - 10:12 am
I know the roadside memorials

I know the roadside memorials get the sympathy vote. But the folks who say "ignore it and keep driving" obviously do not live on a rural road and have had one of these sanctioned tacky litter displays stuck up beside the driveway of there home. If you are lucky like me, the deceased will be from a family of drinkers and the father, brothers, sisters, girlfriend, cousins, and running buddies will come by every Friday night for a couple of months and sit in the ditch by your driveway and drink beer with the departed. Thanks goodness for cold weather and rain. Really, these things should be outlawed.

These memorials can be an eyesore, especially for the property owner who has to live with this thing for a year or two, or who may be trying to sell the property with this macabre display stuck up out front. In addition, they can be a safety distraction for drivers who are gawking at the thing or trying to read the name. And for you legal beagle types, if you happen to be an atheist or agnostic, how would you like a 4 ft. or 10 ft. cross stuck up in front of your house on the county or state owned right-of-way?

And one last small consideration. How would you like your water line, cable TV, or telephone lines cut by someone who shows up with their 10 ft. cross and post hole diggers determined to plant it in the exact spot where their loved one died. It ain't like these people call a company to come out and mark the underground utilities before they start digging. If I had not stopped them, that is exactly where they had already started digging in front of my house; directly on top of my water line right in the middle of my utility easement.

So, the point is that not every roadside memorial you see out there is a tasteful, short term, respectful show of remembrance with no adverse consequences. It can be a nightmare and if you support these things, may it happen in front of your house. I can't imagine many Westlake property owners welcoming one of these garish memorials in their front yard.

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/20/11 - 10:47 am
You know it has been said

You know it has been said that many read the comments & never post...I agree that is true......but I'm curious though...could some be gracious enough & tell us why they don't post anything......
Get your feet wet---dive in---we are usually gentle with new posters..(aren't we shrimp).....it takes weeks B4 we challenge the newbies.....we need some new blood on here.....some smarties to make it very interesting. :)

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/20/11 - 12:00 pm

You want people in downtown shopping.....put this down on Broad.
Amazing

allhans
allhans 11/20/11 - 12:32 pm
For once in my life I agree

For once in my life I agree with Techfan. Through the ages the cemetery was the place for a memorial, now some prefer to memorialize the location of the tragedy. Seems backwards to me, but then that's just me. To each his own.

madgerman
madgerman 11/20/11 - 01:13 pm
I view roadside memorials the

I view roadside memorials the same as I view rear window decal memorials or hanging teddy bears and flowers on fences - A waste of time and money. But do they bother me, not in the least.

allhans
allhans 11/20/11 - 01:41 pm
There goes the neighborhood.

There goes the neighborhood. What a way to make friends. How wouldyou like to be the mayor's neighbor?/

"Occupy Wall Street protesters say they'll bring drums and sleeping bags to Mayor Michael Bloomberg's East Side townhouse.

Demonstrators plan to bring musical instruments, food, banners, art and sleeping bags to the mayor's residence near Central Park on Sunday

Jake
Jake 11/20/11 - 02:21 pm
I wouldn't mind seeing a

I wouldn't mind seeing a provocative parade. This rant comes up every year when dancers do a little bump and grind. I don't know about the rest of you but it gets my attention and makes me glad that I live in the good ole USA.
The most provocative parade that I have ever seen was in San Francisco during the Carnival festival. The dancers there were not leaving much to the imagination. The costume of the day for most of the women consisted of 2 band-aids and a cork.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 11/20/11 - 02:52 pm
JazzyJoker..My feelings

JazzyJoker..My feelings exactly and love the way you put it across. HoRaaaa.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 11/20/11 - 02:53 pm
Gee Jake, sure wish I could

Gee Jake, sure wish I could have seen that one.

fftaz71
fftaz71 11/20/11 - 03:46 pm
Regarding roadside

Regarding roadside memorials...Im going to approach this from a different perspective. I had the misfortune of a 14 yr old kid being hit by a train and killed in front of my house. I was a firefighter on the first truck out on that call. I helped pick up this kids parts and pieces...some of which were on my vehicle which was still parked in its normal parking spot b/c it was warm that night and I had walked to the firehouse. I had to endure hearing the 40-50 trains a day that come by my house come through the next day...I was cringing in the corner praying nothing happened or running outside to make sure nothing was going to happen. I watched a father WATCH us for 2 hours as we located parts and pieces for the medical examiner and forensic teams. I watched him identify his child, and then the older brother have a complete meltdown after he found out his kid brother was dead. I physically had to leave my home for a few days so I could get the scene out of my head...only to come home and find a huge reminder of what happened in the form of a roadside memorial. For 8 months that thing stayed there....unavoidable, in front of my house. Yes, families grieve but responders try to put these things out of their heads. Do you know how it affects US when we cannot "leave" the scene? Its a scene I will never in my life forget...what I was doing right when the call came in, the fact that all we got off the truck with was flashlights and gloves, finding his body, his boots...seeing his father watching our every move, hearing my dads voice in my head when he made a corny joke about a train derailment equaling a new car for me, etc. I remember all of it. I relived it every day for 8 months every time I left my house, every time I came home, every time I looked out my only window. It was h-e double hockey sticks. I couldnt even move b/c I just signed a new lease when it happened. The people who put roadside memorials up create a distraction, many times they put themselves in danger by even being where they are. Some states have enacted laws against them...and because of my experience, I fully support those laws. Save the grieving for the cemetary or private...please.

Reagan'smom10
Reagan'smom10 11/20/11 - 06:09 pm
To the person ranting on and

To the person ranting on and on about the memorial on Wheeler Rd. I personally know the young lady who was married to this young man who was killed in this accident. She didn't even get to celebrate their one year anniversary because of this tragedy, which by the way... wasn't his fault. She was also pregnant with his first child when this occured. This young man was cremated so apparently there is no gravesite to make a memorial except for this particular area. This is also something for the poor child who never got to meet his daddy to participate in. as for being "mindful to the rest of the world who has to drive by everyday"... The rest of the world isnt like you, ranter, and they have compassion for those greiving. You sir or ma'am should be mindful to another person's feelings. By the way, you WILL be getting a christmas tree this year more than likely. Which brings me to another point.. it is christmas so why does it matter? If people can put christmas lights on their houses and columbia and richmond counties put decorations on businesses and everywhere downtown, why would they care? Even if you didn't know the young man who died.. its christmastime!!! sit back, enjoy the lights, and please keep you opinions to yourself.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 11/20/11 - 07:50 pm
I have seen the road mowing

I have seen the road mowing crew on I-20 show more respect than this heartless ranter when they come upon a death site with Flowers or a Cross. They will stop their mowing equipment, pick them up, mow the location and replace them back in location.

JazzyJoker 1:56. His last sentence just about says it all.

Vito45
Vito45 11/20/11 - 08:12 pm
Cobalt, looking at it purely

Cobalt, looking at it purely from a practical point of view, the roadside memorials are an unnecessary distraction to motorists. I'm torn between the two sides though, because it is therapeutic for the family and friends to place them and acknowledge them as they drive past; though if my child was killed there I don't think I would ever drive by that spot again.

Vito45
Vito45 11/20/11 - 08:20 pm
HOPE could be propped up with

HOPE could be propped up with one easy step; don't pay for a students tuition until AFTER they've successfully completed the college level course work. Now, one only has to get inflated high school scores to qualify, even if they can't do college level work. They lolly-gag around for 2+ semesters before they gey kicked off HOPE. The colleges don't care, they are raking in money hand over fist; just ride around and look at the millions upon millions that have been spent on campus renovations, housing, and expansion since HOPE was started.

opinionatedreader
opinionatedreader 11/20/11 - 08:26 pm
To the selfish, rude,

To the selfish, rude, uncompassionate person who thinks that the roadside memorial is "out of hand", you obviously have not had to mourn the loss of someone so very close to you. Kyle did not choose to end his life, he was just beginning it. He has a wife and his first son on the way. He was about to celebrate his first wedding anniversary. Kyle was beyond special to us and this is is resting site. There is not a grave site we can go to to put flowers or to go to visit him at. This is his resting place so this is where we go to "visit" with him. I pray that you never have to mourn the loss of someone so close to you as we have had to but please let us have our place to mourn and grieve at. It is NOT hurting you in any way. If you don't want to see it then you do not have to look. This is not only a place for us to remember where he was killed but it is a reminder to us of him, that he is our angel watching over us and we can visit with him. If he was buried at a cemetery then yes we would go there but we weren't given that option so we are doing the best we can to mourn the loss of a GREAT friend, a son, a brother, a husband, a FATHER. So if you seriously have a problem with it then just don't look or drive another way. I am more then sure this is NOT the only spot in Columbia County that has a memorial site on the side of the road. There are several on Bobby Jones, Washington Rd, Riverwatch Pkwy. and what if this person was someone you knew, would you tell people they couldn't mourn there? I think it is more then safe to say that their are much more important things for you to "rant" about that matter to the general public then a memorial site.

Willow Bailey
20605
Willow Bailey 11/20/11 - 08:33 pm
Vito45, Reference your 8:12;

Vito45, Reference your 8:12; I agree with your last sentence. I think it would be too painful as well; and like you, am offering no criticism of those who are comforted by it.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 11/20/11 - 08:49 pm
45.. I trully accept your

45.. I trully accept your feelings and opinion. Every human being who has lost a love one deal with it in different ways. Some have to continually be telling someone about their lost, some will never talk about it, many will change their personality completely, many have to have a memory to remind them daily. I know, When I pass the many places that my son has been in his short life, I get a knot in my stomach and a tear in my eye. I see no problem with the road side memorials knowing somebody is feeling better and helping them deal about that lost.

AC should never have allowed this rant to be published.