Bodies of 2 children found in car in SC river

ORANGEBURG, S.C. - Authorities say the bodies of two children have been recovered from a car submerged in a South Carolina river.

Orangeburg County Sheriff Larry Williams told several media outlets the children were recovered from the North Edisto River after the car as found near a boat landing Monday.

Williams told WIS-TV the child's mother has been charged with leaving the scene of an accident.
Neither the names of the victims nor the mother were immediately released. Williams did not immediately return a phone call Monday afternoon. Authorities were alerted early Monday about the car but have not said how the vehicle ended up in the water.
Divers recovered the bodies of the children about 45 minutes after they were called to the scene.

Dixieman
Dixieman 08/16/10 - 03:53 pm
Terrible and tragic...how old

Terrible and tragic...how old were they?

airbud7
airbud7 08/16/10 - 04:04 pm
I hope this isnt another

I hope this isnt another Susan Smith case

KingJames
KingJames 08/16/10 - 04:11 pm
This is very tragic. This is

This is very tragic. This is almost just like the Susan Smith case. My condolences go out to the family of these children.

saltine
saltine 08/16/10 - 04:19 pm
Pray for all involved

Pray for all involved

SouthAugustan
SouthAugustan 08/16/10 - 04:42 pm
There is a better article on

There is a better article on CNN.com What is this world coming to? Everyone seems to be going crazy!

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 08/16/10 - 04:44 pm
I'm with you, Airbud! God

I'm with you, Airbud! God rest their souls!

disssman
disssman 08/16/10 - 05:23 pm
SouthAugustan. I agree with

SouthAugustan. I agree with you and all the other posters. The children were 1 and 2 years old according to the web. Apparently, we have lost our feelings of guilt or shame and only look at things as if they are hindering what we want and when we want it. I don't know what transpired, but the mother, according to the article, was a mile away from the accident when she flagged down a passing car and asked for help.

FallingLeaves
FallingLeaves 08/16/10 - 07:37 pm
I wish people would stop

I wish people would stop making assumptions; this is just a news story. If she couldn't get the children out of the car by herself, what was she supposed to do, just stay there and go into shock without trying to get help if she could still put one foot in front of the other? Are you assuming she had a cell phone? Are you assuming she didn't try to get them out? Are you assuming you could get a one and a two year old child out of a submerged car with water pressure against the doors and shorted out electric locks for the windows and doors (if they were electric) when most people don't find it easy to get children out of car seats on dry land? Are you assuming if she wasn't wet when she finally saw someone that she shouldn't have had time to dry yet? Stop assuming!!!! We don't have all the facts and context. God help those who are innocent and not guilty from the torture of public opinion.

pommom38
pommom38 08/16/10 - 09:09 pm
Ty Falling. Nothing in this

Ty Falling. Nothing in this article states that the mother did any wrongdoing. There are factors not listed, and no reporting on *suspicious* circumstances. Once an article states that the mother intentionally did this, I will maybe then comment on her and/or her actions.

moniker
moniker 08/16/10 - 09:28 pm
Just so you know, when this

Just so you know, when this article is linked on Facebook a picture of Dr. Tanenbaum is linked with it, which is quite disrespectful, considering how many years he spent helping children.

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 08/16/10 - 10:21 pm
I agree moniker, how in the

I agree moniker, how in the world did that happen. I'll report it.

KSL
KSL 08/17/10 - 03:52 am
Sassy, unless you have more

Sassy, unless you have more information than what appears in the above article, your comments are inappropriate. If you have more information as a basis for you comment, then please reference it so we can see it for ourselves.

The above article does not give you one iota of proof that you formulate that opinion. She may well be guilty as Hell. But there is nothing in this article that proves that.

johnston.cliff
johnston.cliff 08/17/10 - 06:31 am
yeah motherof3, dying is a

yeah motherof3, dying is a good plan. Like the rest of you, I don't know what happened, but I can envision a scenario where the car went into the water and the mother, unable to swim and terrified of the situation, besides being terrified for her children, was frozen from action. I don't mean to justify or condemn the action of the mother, I'm just saying there's very little information to speculate from...and referring to CNN speculation as "information" doesn't seem to improve the situation.

disssman
disssman 08/17/10 - 06:36 am
Motherofthree I agree.

Motherofthree I agree. However, given our sometimes lavish prison systems, I doubt she would suffer slowly for the rest of her life, if she is guilty. But we must all wait for an investigation to really see what happened.

mefirst
mefirst 08/17/10 - 07:20 am
As usual,speculation reigns

As usual,speculation reigns supreme on this good Tuesday morning.While one or two of the posters have delved more deeply in order to find more facts regarding this sad, sad occurrence, the rest of you just seem to willfully go off on some truly wild tangents. The woman has been charged with leaving the scene of an ACCIDENT. That's all so far. What say we wait for more information before we send this woman up the river? Pray for the children, and the mother as well. Justus4, take a break for a while before you go off on one of your rants....it's too early to tell yet if we have been had by da man.

aughate
aughate 08/17/10 - 08:50 am
There is not speculation

There is not speculation here. CNN clearly lets you know that the police suspect "foul play." They suspect foul play because for one she was not wet, she walked a mile to call police, and for three, she said she ran off the road which the police say there was no indication of this. So in my opinion, she killed the babies and that's a crime.

Search of alleged dealer's home found drugs, firearms