I-20 wreck kills Augusta pediatrician, his wife

Rabbi remembers Tanenbaums as pillars of community

Well into their 70s, Dr. Julian and Beverly Tanenbaum never showed signs of slowing down.

Back | Next
Dr. Julian Tanenbaum was a longtime Augusta pediatrician.
Dr. Julian Tanenbaum was a longtime Augusta pediatrician.

They both led active lives, both inside and outside of work.

"Age was never a concern," Lisa Unger Schoer said of her grandson's 79-year-old pediatrician. "I know there are new things that come out, but there's also something to be said about the wisdom of experience."

Beverly Tanenbaum also lived for her job as an agent for Blanchard and Calhoun Real Estate Co.'s west Augusta office, where she had worked for almost 30 years.

"She cared about her clients," said Susan Rice, the office manager. "She always had their interests foremost when she worked with people."

The lives of Dr. Tanenbaum and his 77-year-old wife were cut short Sunday when he lost control of his vehicle on Interstate 20 in South Carolina and hit a tree, according to Lexington County Coroner Harry Harman.

Colleagues said the couple had been visiting friends in Charlotte, N.C.

Rabbi David Sirull, of Adas Yeshurun Synagogue, which the couple attended, called them "pillars in the community."

They were both active in the synagogue that Tanenbaum's ancestors founded in the 1890s.

At the synagogue, Julian Tanenbaum served on the board of governors and was president, while Beverly Tanenbaum worked with the sisterhood and was given the honor of Woman of the Year.

She also worked with the Easter Seals, the Ronald McDonald House and the Augusta opera's board of directors, Rice said.

"If there was a cause in this community, you could call on Beverly and she would give you her support," Rice said.

The couple also helped to found the Augusta Swim League.

Julian Tanenbaum served as a mentor for many doctors, including Dr. Karen Foushee, who was in the partnership with him to found Pediatric Partners in 1997.

"I was always in awe of him," she said. "He really is one of the old lions in pediatrics. The old saying is that he has forgotten more than I've ever learned."

Schoer recalled running down the street to visit the doctor at his house when she was young.

As a child, Schoer always thought she was one of the doctor's favorites. It was later that she learned that he loved all of his patients. It was because of this special relationship that Schoer chose to send her children to her childhood pediatrician.

Later, Schoer's daughter also chose to send her son to the doctor. Foushee said third-generation patients were not uncommon for the doctor.

"I think that speaks to what high esteem he was held in, but also how he could get along with different generations of people," Foushee said.

Services for the couple will be held at Adas Yeshurun Synagogue at 11 a.m. today.

LynxRHot
LynxRHot 08/16/10 - 09:21 am
This is such a tragedy. Dr.

This is such a tragedy. Dr. Tanenbaum was my pediatrician, and was such a special man. I know he has touched the lives of so many children. Rest in peace, Dr. Tanenbaum.

paperhearts
paperhearts 08/16/10 - 09:27 am
Dr. Tanenbaum is my

Dr. Tanenbaum is my Daughter's pediatrician, this makes our family very sad to know he isn't with us anymore. Praying for his family.

randa1973
randa1973 08/16/10 - 09:36 am
i cant believe this. He was

i cant believe this. He was my pediatrician and I am 37 years old. My thoughts and prayers are with his family. A true fixture in the augusta community will be missed.

happychimer
happychimer 08/16/10 - 09:47 am
Is this the same one who had

Is this the same one who had an office on Central Avenue, and then moved to Wheeler Road yrs ago? I think it is.

isitme
isitme 08/16/10 - 09:50 am
Dr. Tanenbaum was my

Dr. Tanenbaum was my pediatrician and my boys' pediatrician too! He always had a smile on his face and a kind word, even when the boys were less than cooperative. I enjoyed seeing him around town with his wife. He will be missed.

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 08/16/10 - 10:02 am
Is Beverly Tanenbaum the lady

Is Beverly Tanenbaum the lady that has recently been featured on a local BMW or Mercedes commercial? Of course this is very sad for their family and the community, but at least they died together.

LynxRHot
LynxRHot 08/16/10 - 10:03 am
happychimer...Yes, this is

happychimer...Yes, this is Dr. Tanenbaum who had an office on Central Avenue. I can remember always being fascinated by the bulletin boards with his patients' pictures on them and how neat it was to spot people I knew. He will be missed.

happychimer
happychimer 08/16/10 - 10:07 am
He was my son and daughter's

He was my son and daughter's pediatrician. My son will be 34 this month, and my daughter is 29.

ripjones
ripjones 08/16/10 - 10:22 am
My thoughts and prayers go

My thoughts and prayers go out to their family. He was my son's Pediatrician, who is now 24. He was recommended to us, when we moved to Augusta from Atlanta. He was great doctor to his patients, and their parents.

smiles68
smiles68 08/16/10 - 10:33 am
I'm 42 and he was my

I'm 42 and he was my pediatrician and I really enjoyed knowing his wife, Beverly, after getting into real estate 11 years ago
They will both be missed. My deepest sympathy to the family.

concernednative
concernednative 08/16/10 - 10:37 am
I am 35 yrs old and he was my

I am 35 yrs old and he was my pediatrician. He was always so nice. God bless his family.

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 08/16/10 - 10:47 am
God makes Angel's all the

God makes Angel's all the time! He surely made two great ones with Dr.
Tanenbaum and his wife! May the wind beneath their wings land on everyone whose lives they touched. God speed and rest in peace to them both. My sincere condolences to the family and all their friends.

gjsw
gjsw 08/16/10 - 10:50 am
My brother (40) and I (45)

My brother (40) and I (45) also saw Dr Tanenbaum. He was a great doctor and his wife was a talented painter. I remember her beautiful paintings in his office. They will both be truly missed. Our thoughts and prayers go out to their family.

delvias
delvias 08/16/10 - 10:57 am
Dr. Tanenbaum was my

Dr. Tanenbaum was my childrens Pediatrician all of their lives from birth to age 18 . My daughter is 45 and my son is 40 . He played a very wonderful part in their lives , he was a fine man , his wife was a wonderful lady . He was very strict when he was young which I really appreciated . Both him and Dr. Henry Bailey tended to my children and both were and are fine men and fine Drs.

aBucnTrucker
aBucnTrucker 08/16/10 - 11:04 am
Dr.Tanenbaum was all of our 4

Dr.Tanenbaum was all of our 4 children's Pediatrician. They loved his demeanor and funny jokes he would tell them, our kids thought it was so neat that he had a photo of him and Mickey Mouse together in one of his waiting rooms. They would ask did he really know Mickey Mouse?..I really am gonna miss him too, GOD be with you Dr.Tanenbaum!!

cherylaxel
cherylaxel 08/16/10 - 11:22 am
Dr. Tanenbaum was my (I just

Dr. Tanenbaum was my (I just turned 50 this year) and my son's (he's 25) pediatrician. I was shocked to hear the news and saddened that he will no longer be helping the children of this community as a pediatrician and wonderful man. His wife was an excellent realtor and both were outstanding members of the CSRA. Condolences to the families of both. They will truely be missed.

jenilyn25
jenilyn25 08/16/10 - 12:02 pm
Dr. Tanenbaum was my

Dr. Tanenbaum was my pediatrician growing up (I'm 35) and has been my children's pediatrician since they were born (I have two boys (5) and (2)). I just saw him last week when I took my 2 year old in for croup. He (as classic Dr. Tanenbaum style) was so sweet and talked with me for a few minutes about my youngest son's upcoming birthday party (he turned 2 on saturday) and the fact that my oldest was starting kindergarten (he started today) . I will remember him fondly as the doctor that not only treated my children but also us parents.... he has had to give me numerous hugs over the past 5 years. He has been such an important part of our family and the lives of our boys. Dr. T, You will be forever in our hearts and greatly missed. My prayers are with his family as I cannot imagine the loss they are experiencing.

Willow Bailey
20603
Willow Bailey 08/16/10 - 12:06 pm
My prayers and condolences to

My prayers and condolences to the children. Your mother was a very dear and kind person. Beautiful, both inside and out. She shall be greatly missed.

Southern_Patriot
Southern_Patriot 08/16/10 - 12:20 pm
Dr Tannenbaum was my son's

Dr Tannenbaum was my son's pediatrician, you couldn't have had anyone any better than him for a doctor, condolences to the family.

LuckiEmerald80
LuckiEmerald80 08/16/10 - 12:41 pm
I am sadden to hear this news

I am sadden to hear this news Dr.T has been my childrens Dr since 2004. He will truley be missed. Prayers go out to his famiy and the staff at Pediartic Partners.

tedandlisa
tedandlisa 08/16/10 - 12:55 pm
DR. TANENBAUM WAS THE BEST

DR. TANENBAUM WAS THE BEST PEDIATRICIAN EVER. MY SON WENT TO DR. TANENBAUM FROM A BABY UNTIL MY SON MOVED TO ATHENS TO ATTEND COLLEGE. PERSONALLY, BERYL WAS THE SWEETEST INDIVIDUAL EVER. OUR FAMILIES VACATIONED TOGETHER FOR ABOUT 20 YEARS. I AM GOING TO MISS HIM TERRIBLY. DR. TANENBAUM, I LOVE YOU AND WILL ALWAYS HAVE YOU IN MY THOUGHTS. SHALOM.

Jen Annis
Jen Annis 08/16/10 - 01:07 pm
Dr. Tanenbaum aided three

Dr. Tanenbaum aided three generations in my family -- my mother, my son, and my sister and me. He and his wife were wonderful people, and they will be missed.

silkysmooth
silkysmooth 08/16/10 - 01:25 pm
I hate this so much. Dr.

I hate this so much. Dr. Tanenbaum was my doctor when I was younger. I will always remember his friendliness, his smile, and his humorous sarcasm when I arrived for an appointment. Dr. Tanenbaum, you will be missed and I will never forget you. I never met Mrs. Tanenbaum, but I'm sure she was just as kind as he was. Prayers and condolences to the families and friends who lost their loved ones. Just know and understand that they both are in a better place. RIP.

Jenniferweb
Jenniferweb 08/16/10 - 01:29 pm
So sorry to hear this. He

So sorry to hear this. He and his wife seemed like very good people. My condolences to their family and friends.

Cadence
Cadence 08/16/10 - 01:37 pm
What a wonderful legacy he

What a wonderful legacy he leaves in the hearts of those who knew him. I did not, but clearly that is my loss as he was loved by many.

ags59
ags59 08/16/10 - 04:47 pm
He was my Dr too and I am 51

He was my Dr too and I am 51 I was scared of shots he allways made me say supercalifragilisticexpialidocious and by the end he was done. My heart breaks he was such a good Dr. RIP

hja621
hja621 08/16/10 - 01:47 pm
He was our doctor. He was

He was our doctor. He was such a kind man. I remember how he had the wall of pictures in the waiting area. His office was the first place I ever read a Highlights Magazine. We were crazy about that man.
The family is in our prayers.

Indigo
Indigo 08/16/10 - 02:20 pm
Why does AC take 2 paragraphs

Why does AC take 2 paragraphs to get to the names? Its like a drum roll..... and its tasteless.

Boo-Hoo
Boo-Hoo 08/16/10 - 02:41 pm
baronvonreich, What a stupid,

baronvonreich, What a stupid, uncalled for comment!!!!!!

Kramer
Kramer 08/16/10 - 03:12 pm
Dr. Tanenbaum and his wife

Dr. Tanenbaum and his wife were well know for their physical and their mental fitness and for their generous contributions to the betterment of our community. Dr. Tanenbaum took care of my wife as a child, my children, and my grandson. He cared deeply for each of them and it was evident in his mannerisms and behaviors as a physician. Beverly was a very well respected and hard working real estate agent. She and her husband raised two fine children who are fine adults. They also helped found the Augusta Swim League where hundreds of children over the years became involved in competitive swimming. Many of those get college scholorships, set state and national records, and the like. The work of this couple will continue to live on for years and years.

Search of alleged dealer's home found drugs, firearms