I-20 wreck kills Augusta pediatrician, his wife

Rabbi remembers Tanenbaums as pillars of community

Well into their 70s, Dr. Julian and Beverly Tanenbaum never showed signs of slowing down.

Back | Next
Dr. Julian Tanenbaum was a longtime Augusta pediatrician.
Dr. Julian Tanenbaum was a longtime Augusta pediatrician.

They both led active lives, both inside and outside of work.

"Age was never a concern," Lisa Unger Schoer said of her grandson's 79-year-old pediatrician. "I know there are new things that come out, but there's also something to be said about the wisdom of experience."

Beverly Tanenbaum also lived for her job as an agent for Blanchard and Calhoun Real Estate Co.'s west Augusta office, where she had worked for almost 30 years.

"She cared about her clients," said Susan Rice, the office manager. "She always had their interests foremost when she worked with people."

The lives of Dr. Tanenbaum and his 77-year-old wife were cut short Sunday when he lost control of his vehicle on Interstate 20 in South Carolina and hit a tree, according to Lexington County Coroner Harry Harman.

Colleagues said the couple had been visiting friends in Charlotte, N.C.

Rabbi David Sirull, of Adas Yeshurun Synagogue, which the couple attended, called them "pillars in the community."

They were both active in the synagogue that Tanenbaum's ancestors founded in the 1890s.

At the synagogue, Julian Tanenbaum served on the board of governors and was president, while Beverly Tanenbaum worked with the sisterhood and was given the honor of Woman of the Year.

She also worked with the Easter Seals, the Ronald McDonald House and the Augusta opera's board of directors, Rice said.

"If there was a cause in this community, you could call on Beverly and she would give you her support," Rice said.

The couple also helped to found the Augusta Swim League.

Julian Tanenbaum served as a mentor for many doctors, including Dr. Karen Foushee, who was in the partnership with him to found Pediatric Partners in 1997.

"I was always in awe of him," she said. "He really is one of the old lions in pediatrics. The old saying is that he has forgotten more than I've ever learned."

Schoer recalled running down the street to visit the doctor at his house when she was young.

As a child, Schoer always thought she was one of the doctor's favorites. It was later that she learned that he loved all of his patients. It was because of this special relationship that Schoer chose to send her children to her childhood pediatrician.

Later, Schoer's daughter also chose to send her son to the doctor. Foushee said third-generation patients were not uncommon for the doctor.

"I think that speaks to what high esteem he was held in, but also how he could get along with different generations of people," Foushee said.

Services for the couple will be held at Adas Yeshurun Synagogue at 11 a.m. today.

Jillian
Jillian 08/16/10 - 02:43 pm
Maybe there was a malfunction

Maybe there was a malfunction of something on the vehicle and not the fault of the driver?

I am glad nobody else was killed in this accident...it may have been a lot worse if he had a heart attack or some other medical emergency.

timereader
timereader 08/16/10 - 02:44 pm
baronvonreich show some

baronvonreich show some respect!

Nativeson1
Nativeson1 08/16/10 - 03:38 pm
Obviously two good,

Obviously two good, extraordinary people were lost, and although I didn't have Dr. Tanenbaum as a pediatrician (Mine was Dr. Hanson), my condolences go to their surviving family....Baronvonreich: You really should be ashamed of yourself! Nobody knows the details as to why the vehicle lost control so save your jaundiced judgements. There is a old saying that I think applies here: "A fool utters all his thoughts." Not calling you a fool, just relaying a good quote I have heard before...

alleycat
alleycat 08/16/10 - 05:25 pm
Oh I am so sorry to hear

Oh I am so sorry to hear this. Dr Tanenbaum was my childrens pediatrician and now my two grandsons pediatrician . My prayers are with the family. He will be missed..

mdbrave
mdbrave 08/17/10 - 09:21 am
Oh, my God. This news is

Oh, my God. This news is horrible. He was my pediatrician (I am almost 41) as well as the pediatrician for my younger sister and brother. He was such a nice man, and a wonderful doctor. He is one of the reasons I am now a pediatrician. My condolences to his children on the loss of both parents.

collarbrass
collarbrass 08/16/10 - 07:29 pm
Just last week, my allergist

Just last week, my allergist took a closer look in my ears with the magnifying/light tool, I wondered if she could see "bunny rabbits" like Dr. Tanenbaum did. I almost said it, but smiled and kept it to myself. I loved the wooden train set and dreaded the shots. 25 years later and 1,000 miles away. Tragic news. God bless Mr. & Mrs. Tanenbaum.

diverkd
diverkd 08/16/10 - 09:04 pm
Dr. Tanenbaum was my

Dr. Tanenbaum was my pediatrician as well, and I am almost 41. He always found rabbits and giraffes in my ears, and it was a fascinating and pleasant experience. My college roommate was terrified of doctors and I never understood why. I also visited Dr. Tanenbaum in twenties and he made time for me at the end of the day. He was a wonderful man, and a fabulous physician.

Soheyr
Soheyr 08/17/10 - 07:42 am
This is tragic news. Dr.

This is tragic news. Dr. Tannenbaum seemed like a very sweet and wonderful man every time I saw him, but Beverly was my friend. We moved here three years ago and she was a wonderful realtor. We remained friends afterwards and sometimes went for lunch or to dance class. We could always call her when we had any problem with the house and she would give us great referrals. Both will be sorely missed. RIP

georgia_girl
georgia_girl 08/17/10 - 07:54 am
From mumps to chicken pox,

From mumps to chicken pox, strep throat to poison ivy and everything in between, Dr. Tanebaum was always there for my brother, sister and me at his little office on Central Avenue. I will always remember the bulletin boards with the pictures of all the kids that were his patients. Each time I am on Central Avenue and pass that building, I think of him.
Now, I will remember both Dr. Tanebaum and his wife as my heart weighs heavy with the sad news of this tragic accident.
My thoughts and prayers are with the Tanebaum family as they mourn the sudden loss of their loved ones.

LadyB
LadyB 08/17/10 - 02:28 pm
He has been my family's

He has been my family's pediatrician for over 40 years. My son had his 6 month appointment coming up and I was looking forward to seeing Dr. Tanenbaum slide into the room with a smile as he did when I was kid. He was always my favorite doctor and always will be. He and his wife will be greatly missed.

mzhammond
mzhammond 08/17/10 - 04:19 pm
R.I.P Dr. Tanenbaum!! We

R.I.P Dr. Tanenbaum!! We send our condolences to the family and friends of Dr. and Mrs. Tanenbaum. Such wonderful people.......God bless everyone who knew them.

Ex-SC Gov. Edwards dies

CHARLESTON, S.C. - James B. Edwards, South Carolina's first Republican governor since Reconstruction and later energy secretary for two years in the Reagan administration, has died.