Across the region

Band suspended after hazing claim


ATLANTA — Clark Atlanta University has suspended performances by its marching band after an allegation of hazing.

In a statement, Clark At­lanta did not say when the alleged hazing might have taken place, how many band members might have been involved or the extent of the possible hazing. Whether police are involved is unclear.

An expected performance by the Mighty Mar­ching Pan­thers at Clark At­lan­ta’s first home football game Saturday was scrapped. Atlanta’s Ben­ja­min E. Mays High School marching band was to perform instead.

A Florida A&M drum major’s death last year that investigators attributed to hazing raised the attention that colleges and universities around the country give to such allegations.

Man watching film shoots self in head

CONWAY, S.C. — Police in Horry County say a man fatally shot himself in the head while watching a movie Thursday night.

Authorities say James Gagum, 43, was sitting in a recliner and had been watching the movie when he picked up a gun, held it to his head and said, “That’s not how it’s done.” Witnesses told police he began pulling the trigger, and the gun went off when he pulled it a third time.

Horry County police Sgt. Robert Kegler said Gagum was in the news in 2010 when he shot and killed one of three suspects who broke into his home, threatened him and his wife at gunpoint, and demanded money and valuables. Gagum was not charged in the incident.

Kegler said Thursday’s shooting was ruled an accident.

Morgue manager off duty after photo

ATLANTA — A DeKalb County morgue employee has been suspended without pay for five days over a picture taken inside the facility.

Forensic Services Manager Jody DeWeese took a photograph of a colleague posing on a metal table with a toe tag as part of a photography class.

County spokesman Burke Brennan said recreational photography is banned in the facility.

Lab technician Jody Benson, who posed for the photo, was suspended for three days and resigned.

Dog travels far to find former owner

MYRTLE BEACH, S.C. — Mark Wessells didn’t think he’d ever see his dog again after leaving it with his father in Virginia, but it appears the 2-year-old black Labrador retriever had a case of homesickness.

A week after leaving the dog behind while he moved to Myrtle Beach, Wessells got a call from his father saying the dog was gone. He feared it had been stolen.

Brett Gallagher found the dog in a Myrtle Beach subdivision about two weeks ago. He asked around the neighborhood, but nobody had reported a missing dog. When Gallagher took the dog in for a checkup, a veterinarian found a microchip identifying it as Buck.

“I still don’t know how I feel,” Wessells told The Sun News. “I’m just glad he’s back.”

In other news

A 35-YEAR-OLD MAN surrendered to Clayton County police in Georgia on Saturday after a four-hour standoff at an apartment complex. Police said Chacoland Lamon Dye was holding seven hostages.