Across the region

Explosives found on hospital patient


UNION, S.C. — A patient at a Union County hospital faces a charge of possessing explosives after hospital security found a device in his bag and police later found pipe bombs at his home.

Sheriff David Taylor said nurses at Wallace Thomson Hospital called security Friday about a patient they feared was going to become combative when confronted about their belief that he was self-medicating. A hospital security officer called deputies after finding an explosive in the man’s bag.

Deputies say the glass bottle had sealant on top and gunpowder inside. An object that looked like a firework fuse had been removed, according to an incident report.

Deputies later found and removed seven pipe bombs from a dresser drawer in a bedroom in the man’s home, authorities said.

The patient, 51-year-old Jeffrey Glenn Rash, is under guard, charged with possession of explosives/incendiary devices.

“He’s not very cooperative,” Taylor said. “The only thing he did tell us is he had other bombs at home.”

The device could have caused a massive explosion because Rash was on oxygen, said Tim Merritt, the CEO of the Union Hospital District.

Factory will fund tests after fish kill

SAVANNAH, GA. — A southeast Georgia textile processing plant will pay for third-party testing of the Ogeechee River nearly a year after more than 38,000 fish died near the facility.

Lawmakers pushed unsuccessfully this year for legislation to require the state Environmental Protection Division to contract for such testing, which would be independent of that required by the company and the EPD.

The massive fish kill occurred below the outfall pipe for King America Fin­ishing Co., based in Dover. Inspections revealed it had been discharging from an unpermitted fire retardant line for five years.

The EPD indicated it will accept third-party monitoring as part of the company’s $1 million settlement.

Chase ends with man shooting self

CARTERSVILLE, GA. — Au­thorities say a homicide suspect shot himself in Bartow County after a chase that began in Tennessee.

Bartow Sheriff Clark Millsap said the unidentified man reached 120 mph before being forced to stop near Lake Allatoona just before 3 a.m. The suspect, wanted in a slaying in Fort Campbell, Ky., was airlifted to a regional hospital. His condition was not immediately known.

– Associated Press



Sun, 01/21/2018 - 20:23

Rants and raves