Smoke from shed fire visible in downtown Augusta

Firefighters extinguish a shed that caught fire in the 2200 block of Gardner Street. The 10-by-12-foot shed was nearly destroyed when firefighters arrived about 11:40 a.m. Thursday.

A small shed behind a vacant house in the 2200 block of Gardner Street caught fire Thursday morning sending smoke into the air visible from downtown Augusta.

The 10-by-12-foot shed was nearly destroyed when firefighters arrived about 11:40 a.m. The fire probably burned for a while before a passerby noticed smoke and flames, said Battalion Chief James Freeman, of the Augusta-Richmond County Fire Department.

The fire burned surrounding trees and shrubs but the white wooden house received no damage. The house and shed are across the street from Cumming Grove Baptist Church and near the Augusta Country Club.

More

Wed, 03/22/2017 - 17:42

Foundation stopped giving to ‘alt-right’ movement leader in 2015

The Augusta-based Community Foundation for the Central Savannah River Area severed ties with an organization tied to a white nationalist in 2015 after discovering the group’s “mission and purpose,” the nonprofit’s President and CEO Shell K. Berry said in a statement.

Read more