Employee of Martinez glass business hospitalized after catching on fire


An employee of a Martinez business was taken to the Joseph M. Still Burn Center after setting himself on fire Wednesday.

O’Brien’s Glass employee Jessie Cosby received serious burns about 11:45 a.m. when a can of denatured alcohol exploded inside the business at 3842 Washington Road, Martinez-Columbia Fire Rescue Battalion Chief Jimmie Paschal said.

Business owner Dave O’Brien said Cosby was using the alcohol and a flame to work on laminated glass. The flame reached the can, which exploded in Cosby’s face and set his torso, arms and head on fire. He ran through the shop until a colleague used a fire extinguisher to put out the flames.



Thu, 01/18/2018 - 21:57

Rants and raves

Thu, 01/18/2018 - 21:43

Shutdown would hit Augusta hard