Space heater caused Saturday's fatal fire in Augusta, official says

The cause of the fire that killed a 92-year-old man on Apricot Drive on Saturday was a space heater, according to a fire department official.

Carl Glymph was wrapped in a blanket and sitting close to a space heater when the blanket caught fire, said Richmond County Fire Battalion Chief Ivan Bolgla.

Richmond County chief deputy coroner Mark Bowen said an official cause of death has not been determined yet.

About 6 p.m. Saturday, the fire department responded to a call of a structure fire with people inside. Glymph’s daughter, his former caretaker and her boyfriend escaped the house. Glymph’s body was found in a back room, Bolgla said at the scene. The fire destroyed the house.

Apricot Lane fire victims in good condition
1 dead, two injured in Apricot Lane house fire


Wed, 01/17/2018 - 23:14

Rants and raves